Fresh Grabs

Got a nice overtime paycheck last week. Naturally, I splurged.

Ambient pickups:

Aqueduct Ensemble - Improvisations on an Apricot

View attachment 18758

Improvisations on an Apricot is interesting in that there is a delicate blend of jazz and ambient music. Perfect for me, as it gives me the best of both worlds with an underlying, yet prominent, saxophone.

I'm SO glad to see this record on here. It's really a gem. Nice grab!

There's a lot of great jazz released these days but this is definitely one of my favourite of the year, and it's another sign of the vitality of the Belgian scene.

Compro Oro - Suburban Exotica mixes guitar and vibraphone to v funky effect. I'm loving this a little more with each listen.

Also got the latest Gogo Penguin - Ocean In A Drop. I've got all their stuff and have occasionally got a little bored with their blurring of piano jazz and almost dance rhythms but I've really enjoyed this one when I've streamed it.

20191101_162828.jpg

Fresh grabs!

Brittany Howard - Jaime (signed)
John Prine - In Spite of Ourselves (signed)
Vince Gill - When Love Finds You (signed)
Coldplay - Orphans / Arabesque 7"
Garth Brooks - Legacy Box Set (Analog)
Garth Brooks - Legacy Box Set (Remixed/Remastered)
Garth Brooks - Legacy Box Set (Limited)

View attachment 21313
How big of a box was brooks shipped in?

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars - Vol. 6 (Contemporary Records, 1955 first mono pressing)
This release is one of the closest to the standard line-up, with Conte Candoli on trumpet and Bud Shank on sax.

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars ‎– Volume Three (Contemporary Records, 1960 first mono pressing - originally a 10" release in 1953)
Max Roach and Shelly Manne on drums for a killer duo.

Lee Morgan ‎– All That Jazz (DJM Records, 1975 first pressing)
An interesting release of an unnamed session recorded in California in 1970, just a couple years before his death. Its a live session as there are parts where the audience can be heard clapping. Really stellar session, and a real oddity of an album - 2lp in a gatefold.

IMG_9211.JPG

Back