Fresh Grabs

Wow, they are. How has that happened? Have they just stumbled across a box of unopened originals?

It seems yes. It seems they bought dead-stock original copies of many Nimbus West records. Some are crazy expensive (£150 for the Live at IUCC and £65 for The Call) but the seven first volumes of the Tapscott Sessions are affordable (£20 to £25 for the Vol.4).

EDIT: according to Discogs, volume 8 to 11 of the serie are only available on CD.

1028191448_HDR.jpg

This pic pretty much sums up my life in 2019.

The Taylor Swift CD/DVD was only $1.50 when the cashier rang it up. Pretty good deal! And, of course, had to get the second physical edition of Apex Legends (GOTY tbh). I was trying to find the Walmart exclusive CD of Saint Asonia's new album, with 2 bonus tracks, but no dice. Ah well. Still some good stuff today!

Not a record but my new mat arrived today. 2mm thick real leather mat with laser engraved 'JAZZ' text from WRWTFWW Records. Came to just over £20 inc postage which I thought was a fantastic deal, they sold out pretty fast as well which must be a good sign. I have been wanting a plain leather mat for a while, but when this popped up I decided to go for it, the colour is really nice and I actually quite like the JAZZ text.

IMG_8918.JPG

View attachment 20943

This pic pretty much sums up my life in 2019.

The Taylor Swift CD/DVD was only $1.50 when the cashier rang it up. Pretty good deal! And, of course, had to get the second physical edition of Apex Legends (GOTY tbh). I was trying to find the Walmart exclusive CD of Saint Asonia's new album, with 2 bonus tracks, but no dice. Ah well. Still some good stuff today!
To be honest, the CD version of her Speak Now World Tour Live has not left the CD player in the car since I got it. It’s been in there for a good 2 years. It always starts when I start the car. :)

Recent Deliveries...
54D437BA-3DD7-4779-937D-3E1A22D47E56.jpeg
Paul Cauthen - Room 41
Billy Joe Shaver - Long In The Tooth

I pre-ordered the newest Paul Cauthen months ago but the first copy was unfortunately severely warped. I worked with the label to secure a replacement and while they were super helpful and agreed to send a replacement copy free of charge for some reason the actual “send” part of the equation proved pretty difficult for them but finally after reaching out to them multiple times they finally got it in the mail and it arrived with some additional goodies; the Shaver record and the 7”s were a nice bonus.

60C87DA0-C338-4726-9177-C2B1B54ED276.jpeg
Centro-Matic - Redo The Stacks

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Sketches Of Brunswick East
Jimmy Smith - Stay Loose

The Centro-Matic album was purchased for around $12 off of Discogs. Someone referenced a recent Will Johnson release on here a couple weeks ago which made be wanna add some CM to my collection. All their records are great and hopefully more of their albums will be reissued in the near future I would be all over a wax reissue of Love You Just The Same and/or Fort Recovery.

The KGATLW is the TTL Exclusivo colored edition. Sketches of Brunswick East is probably my favorite King Gizz album I am happy to own a colored variant.

This Jimmy Smith album is a fun one. Most Jimmy Smith purists don’t really dig Stay Loose or Respect but besides having some really great cover art you get a greasy Soul-Jazz album with some blues and funk mixed in. The best part of Stay Loose is you get to hear Jimmy sing and while his gruff vocals aren’t for everyone I find them quite endearing. I purchased this sealed copy on eBay for around $14.

This thread just should be renamed Fresh Colemine Grabs, three posts in a row with Colemine records! Congrats @Plaid Room / Colemine! I received the first part of my recent orders on HHV. Two Ikebe Shakedown and three Nimbus West reissues arrived today.

Ikebe Shakedown - The Way Home Black Vinyl Edition (LP | Colemine | Original | US-2017)
Ikebe Shakedown - Hard Steppin' EP Black Vinyl Edition (LP | Colemine | Original | US-2016)

View attachment 20910

Horace Tapscott With The Pan-Afrikan People's Arkestra - Flight 17 (2LP | Outernational Sounds | Reissue | EU-1978)
Creative Arts Ensemble - One Step Out (2LP | Outernational | Reissue | EU-1981)
Nate Morgan - Journey Into Nigrita (LP | Outernational | Reissue | EU-1983)

View attachment 20911

Second, and last, part of my HHV orders. These four albums are perfect examples of the kind of music I love. This is new music played by young artists, proud of their origins and very modern in their approach of music. There are Afro-Cuban, Ethiopian and Japanese influences with modern instruments, a bit of hip-hip and electronic music. Cherry on the cake: artwork is beautiful :) Don' miss Aceleyo Aña on Yelfris Valdés album, even more if you like trumpet à la Christian Scott ;)

Yelfris Valdés - For The Ones... (LP | Musica Macondo | Original | UK-2019) Listen Here
Makaya McCraven - In The Moment HHV Exclusive Tan Vinyl Deluxe Edition (3LP | International Anthem | Original | EU-2019) Listen Here
Sorcerers, The - The Sorcerers (LP | ATA | Original | UK-2015) Listen Here
Ronin Arkestra - Sonkei (LP | Albert's Favourites | Original | EU-2019) Listen Here

1572343728348.png

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars Host Charlie Persip's Jazz Statesmen - Double Or Nothin' (Liberty, Lighthouse Series, 1957 first Mono pressing)

Well this is just a fantastic new discovery for me that I shared over on the Jazz thread yesterday. It revolves around 1 specific group, Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars, which were the house band for the famous Lighthouse Club (perhaps most famous for Lee Morgan's 1971 Live at the Lighthouse 2lp live album). What is really fascinating is that while there is a core set of regular members, each album has the inclusion of at least 1 'guest' player. This means that each album is unique, with the 'guest' player/s driving the music.

On this particular session we have Lee Morgan, Red Mitchell, Wynton Kelly, Benny Golson and Conte Candoli to name a few. Its basically a Morgan led session and its just superb. Interestingly in the liner notes the group performed at the Lighthouse and one audience member was so impressed he ran up and played the only instrument that wasnt in use, the Conga, and that person was.......Dizzy Gillespie!

IMG_9128.JPG

Some acquisitions over this month.

Ambient pickups:

Satoshi Ashikawa - Still Way
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer
Slow Dancing Society - My Blue Heaven

20191029_114653.jpg

The second entry in the Wave Notation series isn't quite as compelling for me as Music For Nine Post Cards, but still serene and lovely. I certainly feel the music soundtracks well to colder seasons, as we are experiencing currently in Portland!
Alien Observer is my favorite of Elizabeth's work, and it is truly cosmic and divine. I'll be turning to this on those sleepless days where I'm up at 2 AM and am indecisive about falling further into my feelings or finding comfort.
The above Slow Dancing Society record is not quite as focused as the other I purchased last month, but I was able to get an excellent price for it. On his BandCamp, he normally prices this album for $15 before shipping. He found a batch of 25 of his stock with corner damage and is selling them for $5 off (so $10 before shipping). The corner damage on the discounted copy I purchased is easy to ignore and barely noticeable. This album has a mixture of ambient, slow and guitar progressions, and some downtempo, although some sections are not really quiet at all. Comes on 2xLP colored vinyl with a purple and a seafoam record.

VMP package from 2 weeks ago:

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

20191029_114514.jpg

Not really feeling the Biggie record, even though it sounds OK and the music is classic. Just not my cup of tea. Not anticipating this album to be a part of my long-term collection.
Loving the new Angel Olsen album. She's embraced a synth-friendly sound (foreshadowed from "Intern" from My Woman, perhaps?) throughout, and I love the swelling string sections on many of the tracks. Although, I will say that her voice does get swallowed up by some of this grandiose, lavish instrumentation at times and it may be a turn-off to some. To me, it's fantastic overall.

Assorted goods (mostly in the pop realm):

Barrie - Happy To Be Here
Charli XCX - Charli
Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Lingua Ignota - Caligula
Sunn O))) - Life Metal

20191029_114924.jpg

Took a chance on the Barrie record, seeing as a lot of people on N+G seem to be enjoying it. Certainly fun, but it feels like I got it a season late. I don't anticipate spinning it a lot for this cold autumn and winter seasons. Got it for only $17 sealed on red vinyl at my local!
Had a lot of fun at the Charli XCX concert from three weeks ago, and I like a lot of her new output. The songs in the middle of the tracklist tend to be a bit 'eh' for me, but they've been growing on me. See her live if you can!
Never heard of Kishi Bashi prior to this year, and the live performance (also from three weeks ago) was so lively and full of character! The packaging on the album is quite creative, and the theme of the album alone is worth the price of admission. Captivating.
Probably should have waited to pick up Lana's album (the only album in her discography that I've enjoyed front to back so far). I purchased the UO edition with alternate art, and with my luck this will be discounted under $20 by the end of the year. Pressing sounds great, surprisingly!
Another artist that I haven't heard of prior to this year, but the music of Lingua Ignota (Kristin Hayter) drew me in with her brooding, yet extravagant backdrop. I cannot wait to see her in a little over a month. Harrowing, disturbing backstory to this album.
The more I listen to Sunn O))), the more I view their music as an alternative form of ambient music. I most likely would not have enjoyed them at all had I listened to their music before ambient became a favorite genre of mine. Majestic and powerful in its scope.

Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All-Stars - Lighthouse At Laguna (Contemporary, 1956 first mono pressing)
The next in my Lighthouse All-Stars discovery. The guests on this one is Hampton Hawes, Shelly Manne, Red Mitchell etc, fantastic stuff!

Lee Morgan - Memorial Album (Blue Note, 1974 first pressing)
A cheapo pick up but an interesting one. The liner notes and track listing was picked by Morgans friend and colleague Duke Pearson, who shares a couple of Morgan anecdotes in the notes.

Straight No Chaser Issue 100.
The anniversary edition of the British jazz magazine, and is more like a book at 144 pages long! Includes in-deth interviews with Tomorrows Warriors, Shirley Tetteh, Rosie Turton to name a few PLUS archival interviews with Pharoah Sanders, Yusef Lateef, McCoy Tyner to name a few PLUS interviews with label founders of Soul Jazz and Brownwood......phew!

IMG_9166.JPG

Some acquisitions over this month.

Ambient pickups:

Satoshi Ashikawa - Still Way
Grouper - A I A: Alien Observer
Slow Dancing Society - My Blue Heaven

View attachment 21044

The second entry in the Wave Notation series isn't quite as compelling for me as Music For Nine Post Cards, but still serene and lovely. I certainly feel the music soundtracks well to colder seasons, as we are experiencing currently in Portland!
Alien Observer is my favorite of Elizabeth's work, and it is truly cosmic and divine. I'll be turning to this on those sleepless days where I'm up at 2 AM and am indecisive about falling further into my feelings or finding comfort.
The above Slow Dancing Society record is not quite as focused as the other I purchased last month, but I was able to get an excellent price for it. On his BandCamp, he normally prices this album for $15 before shipping. He found a batch of 25 of his stock with corner damage and is selling them for $5 off (so $10 before shipping). The corner damage on the discounted copy I purchased is easy to ignore and barely noticeable. This album has a mixture of ambient, slow and guitar progressions, and some downtempo, although some sections are not really quiet at all. Comes on 2xLP colored vinyl with a purple and a seafoam record.

VMP package from 2 weeks ago:

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die
Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

View attachment 21046

Not really feeling the Biggie record, even though it sounds OK and the music is classic. Just not my cup of tea. Not anticipating this album to be a part of my long-term collection.
Loving the new Angel Olsen album. She's embraced a synth-friendly sound (foreshadowed from "Intern" from My Woman, perhaps?) throughout, and I love the swelling string sections on many of the tracks. Although, I will say that her voice does get swallowed up by some of this grandiose, lavish instrumentation at times and it may be a turn-off to some. To me, it's fantastic overall.

Assorted goods (mostly in the pop realm):

Barrie - Happy To Be Here
Charli XCX - Charli
Kishi Bashi - Omoiyari
Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
Lingua Ignota - Caligula
Sunn O))) - Life Metal

View attachment 21048

Took a chance on the Barrie record, seeing as a lot of people on N+G seem to be enjoying it. Certainly fun, but it feels like I got it a season late. I don't anticipate spinning it a lot for this cold autumn and winter seasons. Got it for only $17 sealed on red vinyl at my local!
Had a lot of fun at the Charli XCX concert from three weeks ago, and I like a lot of her new output. The songs in the middle of the tracklist tend to be a bit 'eh' for me, but they've been growing on me. See her live if you can!
Never heard of Kishi Bashi prior to this year, and the live performance (also from three weeks ago) was so lively and full of character! The packaging on the album is quite creative, and the theme of the album alone is worth the price of admission. Captivating.
Probably should have waited to pick up Lana's album (the only album in her discography that I've enjoyed front to back so far). I purchased the UO edition with alternate art, and with my luck this will be discounted under $20 by the end of the year. Pressing sounds great, surprisingly!
Another artist that I haven't heard of prior to this year, but the music of Lingua Ignota (Kristin Hayter) drew me in with her brooding, yet extravagant backdrop. I cannot wait to see her in a little over a month. Harrowing, disturbing backstory to this album.
The more I listen to Sunn O))), the more I view their music as an alternative form of ambient music. I most likely would not have enjoyed them at all had I listened to their music before ambient became a favorite genre of mine. Majestic and powerful in its scope.

Love that Gouper album. Did you buy the repress from Bandcamp? How’s the pressing?

Sunn O))) is hit-and-miss for me but I feel your point as a fellow ambient fan. I really love Pyroclasts as a top-shelf drone album.

Amusing side note: As I was reading your post, I initially misread your comment re: liking Charli XCX’s recent output as liking her recent outfit. And I was thinking to myself, boy-howdy, so do I!

Last edited:
Love that Gouper album. Did you buy the repress from Bandcamp? How’s the pressing?

Sunn O))) is hit-and-miss for me but I feel your point as a fellow ambient fan. I really love Pyroclasts as a top-shelf drone album.

Funny side note: As I was reading your post, I initially misread your comment re: liking Charli XCX output as liking her outfit. And I was thinking to myself, boy-howdy, I do too!

Yes, purchased from Bandcamp. I am very satisfied with my copy; silent and fairly dynamic. Not sure if I will get A I A: Dream Loss though, it doesn't resonate as much with me.

I think I will get Pyroclasts at some point as well! I liked "Ascension (A)" and "Frost (C)" in particular. I probably started listening to this band at the right time.

LOL that too! ;)

I had two favourite German groups in the four years I lived there. One was Tomte (whose lead singer put out a new, and great, album a few weeks ago), and the other was Element of Crime. I love their sound, and this their first live album in a long time is fantastic.

View attachment 21099

Interesting, I heard a lot of Tomte when I was younger and from time to time I like to listen to some of their songs. They really take you back to the days.

EOC on the other hand never did anything for me, although I appreciate the books of Sven Regener a lot!

Back