Fresh Grabs

I found some gems while scrolling through Plaid Room “recent used” selection online…
View attachment 200017

fIREHOSE - If’n
I haven’t explored much post-Minutemen Mike Watt but finding an original SST pressing for around $20 seemed like a good option to dig further.

Hopefully you can find Ragin’ and fROMOHIO (my favorite)!

New Aquisitions-
IMG_7179.jpeg
Dragonfly - s/t
Bruno Berle - No Reino Dos Afetos 2
Reyna Tropical - Maelgria
V/a - Deadicated
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
The Commitments OMPS
The Replacements - Don’t Tell a Soul
Boston - S/T
The Doobie Brothers - Best of the Doobies

New Aquisitions-
View attachment 201199
Dragonfly - s/t
Bruno Berle - No Reino Dos Afetos 2
Reyna Tropical - Maelgria
V/a - Deadicated
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
The Commitments OMPS
The Replacements - Don’t Tell a Soul
Boston - S/T
The Doobie Brothers - Best of the Doobies
I didn’t know there was a Bruno Berle pressing! I might have to scoop!

some 70's soul first pressings from Japan with very rare obis - the Otis Clay is a top 5 all time record for me, and maybe the greatest male soul heartbreak record all time (I probably have 4 copies of this record, but had never found this version with the obi, ok Ill admit I have a problem ;-)) ...also, the 'soul on' series has terrific sound across the board and are highly recommended (but don't tell anyone) - and the polydor SAL74 records are also very goodIMG_3013.jpg

Ill Considered - Ill Considered 8 (Ill Considered Music, 2019 First Test Pressing)
Ill Considered - 9: East/West (Ill Considered Music, 2020 First Test Pressing)
Ill Considered - 10 - The Stroke (Ill Considered Music, 2020 First Test Pressing)

Leon from the group Ill Considered messaged me last week to see if I would be interested in some test pressings that he had lying around. I've been a huge fan of the group ever since someone on the forum (pretty sure it was @Mr Moore) shared a link to their "Live At The Crypt" album years ago.

IMG_0640.JPG

Kenny Graham's Afro-Cubists – Caribbean Suite (Esquire Records, 1954 First 10" Pressing)
Tubby Hayes Quartet – The Swinging Giant Volume 1 (Tempo Records, 1955 First 7" Pressing)
Centipede - Septober Energy (RCA Neon, 1971 First Test Pressing)
The Riverside Book: Discography Of All Series by Jazz Critique (Self-Published, 1997)

Some British jazz gems. I have been after Caribbean Suite for a while and never seen a copy, so thrilled to have this and it sounds fantastic. The test pressing of Centipede was a great score, and the sleeve of the Tubby Hayes isn't in the best shape but the vinyl looks ok after a clean. Finally, an oddity in the Japan-only Riverside book.

IMG_0642.JPG

Fred again.. – Tiny Desk, 13th March 2023 (The Vinyl Factory, 2024 Limited Pressing)

I have been a fan of Fred Again for a while now and he's finally starting to blow up the way he always deserved to. He announced a new series of limited vinyl releases of live performances with the first being his Tiny Desk performance from last year. The record sold out in seconds but I was lucky enough to get a copy. Its an incredible release, with the image on the front cover being a glossy inlay, white vinyl (which actually sounds phenomenal) a printed inner (card which is a bit annoying but I've cleaned/re-sleeved anyway), and glossy photo print. To finish it off each copy is hand numbered and signed (in pencil annoyingly)

IMG_0643.JPG

picked up about 80 records at the chicago public library $1 vinyl sale last week. got there two hours early and was fifth in line, which was definitely the right play because it was a real feeding frenzy for the first few dozen people in the door.

here’s a shot of the line about half an hour before opening, at least a hundred deep i’d wager.
IMG_8294.jpeg
i went straight for the international section because i knew there’d be a ton of folkways and other ethnographic recordings, which i collect a lot of. kinda wish i’d hit the blues section earlier because i saw some folks walk away with big-time wants of mine but i did pretty well all the same!

here’s a little time lapse of the haul. the big scores for me are the harry smith anthology, the dorothy ashby, and the pat martino. i’ll sell the sealed original stone temple pilots (wtf??) and pay for everything else i picked up lol
IMB_DF0vUc.gif

Back