Fresh Grabs

Carboot season has officially started up here in London and I hit it HARD today!

Idris Muhammad - Boogie To The Top (Kudu, 1978 First Pressing)
Ramsey Lewis - Maiden Voyage (Cadet, 1968 First Pressing)
Tommy Watt And His Orchestra - Watts's Cooking (Parlophone, 1959 First Pressing)
Ronnie Scott And The Band - Live At Ronnie Scott's (CBS, 1968 First Pressing)
Tommy Watt And His Orchestra - It Might As Well Be Swing (Parlophone, 1958 First Pressing)

Some heavy jazz hitters here. The 3 laying flat are all British jazz. I have a copy of "Watt's Cooking" already but it is not an album you typically see often and for 50p, well worth it. The Idris Muhammad was one that I was thrilled to find, I've not seen any of his original pressings in the wild before now. Finally, the Ramsey Lewis which has a killer line-up.

IMG_0262.JPG

Carlos Santana / Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender (CBS, 1973 First Pressing)
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond (Douglas, 1971 First Pressing)
Santana - Caravanserai (CBS, 1972 First Pressing)
Santana - Santana: The Third Album (CBS, 1971 First Pressing)

I have to admit that I have never really listened to much of Carlos Santana's music other than his "Illuminations" album with Alice Coltrane and his live recording with Herbie Hancock, so when I saw 3 of these at one stall I thought I would give them a go. The "missing link" between them was " My Goal's Beyond" which must surely be worth a quid!?

IMG_0261.JPG

Lou Reed - Rock N Roll Animal (RCA Victor, 1974 First Pressing)
Joni Mitchell - Hejira (Asylum Records, 1976 First Pressing)
Roxy Music - S/T (Island Records, 1972 First Pressing)

Some non-jazz records. These were all on the very last stall I went to before heading home. Quite a good batch!

IMG_0259.JPG

Parliament - GloryHallaStoopid: Pin The Tale On The Funky (Casablanca, 1971 First Promo Pressing)
Funkadelic - Connections & Disconnections (LAX, 1981 First Pressing)
Parliament - Trombipulation (Casablanca, 1971 First Pressing)

I decided to add some funk in my life when I came across these! Cant wait to dig into them but incredibly there was an even bigger unexpected surprise tucked away in the gatefold which I didn't find until I got home and started cleaning them......

IMG_0260.JPG

The Original Black Sheep: Of The Family - In The Forest (Flock Rock Records, 1978 First 7" Pressing)

And here it is. This 7" was tucked in the deepest part of the jacket of one of the Funkadelic albums. I didn't think much of it, but it sounds great so I checked on Discogs and.....turns out the last copies sold for £182 and £179!!! Mad!

IMG_0265.JPG

Change Is ...: A Survey of British Modern Jazz, 1946-73 by Tony Adam (Self-Published, 2018)

Finally, a non-carboot buy from this week. Another British jazz related book that I cant wait to dig into.

IMG_0263.JPG

Carboot season has officially started up here in London and I hit it HARD today!

Tommy Watt And His Orchestra - Watts's Cooking (Parlophone, 1959 First Pressing)
Tommy Watt And His Orchestra - It Might As Well Be Swing (Parlophone, 1958 First Pressing)

Some heavy jazz hitters here. The 3 laying flat are all British jazz. I have a copy of "Watt's Cooking" already but it is not an album you typically see often and for 50p, well worth it. The Idris Muhammad was one that I was thrilled to find, I've not seen any of his original pressings in the wild before now. Finally, the Ramsey Lewis which has a killer line-up.

View attachment 200354

Carlos Santana / Mahavishnu John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender (CBS, 1973 First Pressing)

I have to admit that I have never really listened to much of Carlos Santana's music other than his "Illuminations" album with Alice Coltrane and his live recording with Herbie Hancock, so when I saw 3 of these at one stall I thought I would give them a go. The "missing link" between them was " My Goal's Beyond" which must surely be worth a quid!?

View attachment 200359

Some non-jazz records. These were all on the very last stall I went to before heading home. Quite a good batch!

View attachment 200362

Parliament - GloryHallaStoopid: Pin The Tale On The Funky (Casablanca, 1971 First Promo Pressing)

I decided to add some funk in my life when I came across these! Cant wait to dig into them but incredibly there was an even bigger unexpected surprise tucked away in the gatefold which I didn't find until I got home and started cleaning them......

View attachment 200363

The Original Black Sheep: Of The Family - In The Forest (Flock Rock Records, 1978 First 7" Pressing)

And here it is. This 7" was tucked in the deepest part of the jacket of one of the Funkadelic albums. I didn't think much of it, but it sounds great so I checked on Discogs and.....turns out the last copies sold for £182 and £179!!! Mad!

View attachment 200366

Change Is ...: A Survey of British Modern Jazz, 1946-73 by Tony Adam (Self-Published, 2018)

Finally, a non-carboot buy from this week. Another British jazz related book that I cant wait to dig into.

View attachment 200367

Hot damn I love carboot season!!!

View attachment 200354

View attachment 200359

View attachment 200362

View attachment 200363

View attachment 200366

View attachment 200367
that first pic, i literally know none of those other than idris and ramsey, but man, everything else you posted is fire, damn

View attachment 200354

View attachment 200359

View attachment 200362

View attachment 200363

View attachment 200366

View attachment 200367
Fun haul!

that first pic, i literally know none of those other than idris and ramsey, but man, everything else you posted is fire, damn
2 of the 3 are pretty obscure British jazz titles to be fair, I would be surprised if anyone here was familiar with them. The middle of the 3 is a Ronnie Scott album, his club is quite well known here in London.

Really fun haul, looking forward to digging in.

Got very excited in an antique centre today - in amongst some cruddy albums all piled up but not great condition or storage was this - the only Bowie album I haven’t got on vinyl ..(got the cd) - I scanned for the price ticket 🎫

IMG_5994.jpeg

And Then I spotted it - price at a mere £140 ! Obviously didn’t buy it but who the hell would store a £140 album knowingly like this ?

I w
Yep - they are local lads to me along with the Wonderstuff- 1st time I’ve seen one of their albums in the wild so glad to have it - be interesting to listen to how it stands up all these years later
as a Cure For Sanity boy, myself. Managed to pick it up very cheaply a few years ago.

Back