Fresh Grabs

July Acquisitions

PIF Claims:

Japanese Breakfast - Jubilee
Sharon Van Etten - Epic Ten
20210801_215027.jpg

Jubilee is a favorite (as well as many others') of this year, and the covers from Epic are enjoyable. Flattened the described warps in the VinylFlat without any issues or loss of sound quality. Thanks again to @Ghost for offering these up and granting my PIF claim requests.

Current year pickups:

Danielle Durack - No Place
Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever
L'Rain - Fatigue
Caroline Polachek - Standing at the Gate: Remix Collection
Spellling - The Turning Wheel
Jessie Ware - What's Your Pleasure? (The Platinum Pleasure Edition)
20210801_224424.jpg

Really enjoying Danielle's album from this year, a very unassuming and harmless singer/songwriter effort. Perfect for lazy summer days, which I'm getting a very steady case of in the past month. Came with a cute letter written by Danielle enclosed in the mailer.
Enjoyed the new Billie Eilish album enough to warrant getting a copy at one of the local Target locations.
Fatigue is an album that came seemingly out of nowhere; a densely packed psychedelic-soul/experimental adventure with 14 songs totaling at just under half an hour, with six of these being interludes of negligible length. Having listened to this album five times in full, I still am left reflecting...amazed at the experience that this record takes me on.
Nice set of remixes from Pang, with a dazzling 10min remix of "The Gate" and fun cover of The Corrs's "Breathless."
Got the new 10.
Was originally going to pass on the deluxe edition of my AotY from last year, but quickly realized that would be silly of me once I heard two of the singles that would be present. Great packaging with mirrorboard gatefold jacket and thicker picture sleeves.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - 'Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Joanna Newsom - Ys
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Portishead - Third
20210801_224828.jpg

Continuing with my recent post-punk interest by running through some milestones in the subgenre. Gang of Four and Joy Division are the relevant adds for this photo.
Added the last GY!BE record that I've found necessary.
Happy about the Joanna Newsom represses, Ys only cost $23 new at Mississippi Records!
I think Pavement finally clicked. I found Slanted and Enchanted much more enjoyable this year. Not sure why it took this long.
Got the last Portishead studio album, although the pressing is kinda bad. Fairly noisy, sadly.

Prince - Dirty Mind
Slint - Spiderland
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Slowdive - Morningrise EP
Slowdive - Outside Your Room EP
Slowdive - 5 EP
20210802_113119.jpg

Didn't anticipate Dirty Mind being the first Prince record I would own, but I liked this one far more than I remembered.
Added Spiderland to the post-punk library. Such a great value for $24; tip-on jacket, documentary DVD, booklet, and RTI-pressed vinyl.
All of the Slowdive was bought in one order at DeepDiscount. The EPs were cheapies in the Blowout Bin, and Souvlaki was a decent price combined with the 15% discount available...much cheaper than the majority of locals were pricing it at.

Stereolab - Switched on Vol. 4
This Heat - Deceit
20210802_113257.jpg

I ❤️ Stereolab. Some great outtakes/special cuts on this collection of tracks.
Another classic post-punk record to add to the library with Deceit. Absolutely mind-crushing music...black midi, eat your heart out.

Last edited:
July Acquisitions

PIF Claims:

View attachment 107505

Jubilee is a favorite (as well as many others') of this year, and the covers from Epic are enjoyable. Flattened the described warps in the VinylFlat without any issues or loss of sound quality. Thanks again to @Ghost for offering these up and granting my PIF claim requests.

Current year pickups:

L'Rain - Fatigue
View attachment 107506

Really enjoying Danielle's album from this year, a very unassuming and harmless singer/songwriter effort. Perfect for lazy summer days, which I'm getting a very steady case of in the past month. Came with a cute letter written by Danielle enclosed in the mailer.
Enjoyed the new Billie Eilish album enough to warrant getting a copy at one of the local Target locations.
Fatigue is an album that came seemingly out of nowhere; a densely packed psychedelic-soul/experimental adventure with 14 songs totaling at just under half an hour, with six of these being interludes of negligible length. Having listened to this album five times in full, I still am left reflecting...amazed at the experience that this record takes me on.
Nice set of remixes from Pang, with a dazzling 10min remix of "The Gate" and fun cover of The Corrs's "Breathless."
Got the new 10.
Was originally going to pass on the deluxe edition of my AotY from last year, but quickly realized that would be silly of me once I heard two of the singles that would be present. Great packaging with mirrorboard gatefold jacket and thicker picture sleeves.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Joanna Newsom - Ys
Portishead - Third
View attachment 107508

Continuing with my recent interest post-punk by running through some milestones in the subgenre. Gang of Four and Joy Division are the relevant adds for this photo.
Happy about the Joanna Newsom represses, Ys only cost $23 new at Mississippi Records!
I think Pavement finally clicked. I found Slanted and Enchanted much more enjoyable this year. Not sure why it took this long.
Got the last Portishead studio album, although the pressing is kinda bad. Fairly noisy, sadly.

Prince - Dirty Mind
Slint - Spiderland
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Slowdive - 5 EP
View attachment 107507

Didn't anticipate Dirty Mind being the first Prince record I would own, but I liked this one far more than I remembered.
Added Spiderland to the post-punk library. Such a great value for $24; tip-on jacket, documentary DVD, booklet, and RTI-pressed vinyl.
All of the Slowdive was bought in one order at DeepDiscount. The EPs were cheapies in the Blowout Bin, and Souvlaki was a decent price combined with the 15% discount available...much cheaper than the majority of locals were pricing it at.

This Heat - Deceit
View attachment 107509

Another classic post-punk record to add to the library with Deceit. Absolutely mind-crushing music...black midi, eat your heart out.

Dirty Mind is a great first Prince record!

July Acquisitions

PIF Claims:

View attachment 107505

Current year pickups:

L'Rain - Fatigue
View attachment 107506

Got the new 10.

Miscellaneous pickups:

Joanna Newsom - Ys
Portishead - Third
View attachment 107508

Continuing with my recent interest post-punk by running through some milestones in the subgenre. Gang of Four and Joy Division are the relevant adds for this photo.

Prince - Dirty Mind
Slint - Spiderland
Slowdive - Souvlaki
Slowdive - 5 EP
View attachment 107507

This Heat - Deceit
View attachment 107509

Thanks for the write-ups! I hadn't heard of Danielle Durack, but I've checked out a few of her songs and she reminds me a lot of Julien Baker. I also know nothing about L'Rain - Fatigue, but you sure as hell make it sound like it's worth a listen! :D

Dirty Mind is a great first Prince record!
I had never heard "When You Were Mine" at all prior to listening and it is an undeniable jam.

I also know nothing about L'Rain - Fatigue, but you sure as hell make it sound like it's worth a listen!
It's such a trip, I really can't describe it accurately. It is a sterling display of a musical Long Island ice tea crossbreed of genres.

Shame, but its a really nice set regardless. You could still ask Bas if he can send a sleeve with your next order. Worth trying at least.
I had thought about that. Might shoot him an email later.

What did you do with the stickers? It’s a tri-fold so you’re forced to remove the shrink. I was thinking of either cutting them out or, if they peel off easily, stick them on an outer sleeve.

Super pumped about this grab.

Metric is one of my favorite groups and generally has a more electro-pop/indie sound to their work. Specifically, their acoustic work is absolutely stunning. They had a digital only EP called Plug In, Plug Out which was one of my favorite iTunes download and Emily Haines' voice with pared back instrumentation/bass really just works well together. With that said, as far as I'm aware, the acoustic experience was really limited on vinyl to nothing or to just singles.

Turns out they recorded four acoustic shows with fan determined set-lists and pressed a very limited number of records for those in attendance, and over the summer they put their remaining copies of these (25-75 or so) on their webstore. I missed the first three for varying reasons (and they all sold out within 5-15 minutes) but found myself in the right time and right place for the fourth and snagged it and a copy of Old World Underground, Where Are You Now as well. Then got a nice round number (100 of 300 pressed)

None of the four Funhouses contained all of my favorite songs, and Vol. 4 may be the closest as it's just missing Gimme Sympathy and is chock full of other goodies. Super excited to spin this one later.

PXL_20210803_163402793.jpg

Pre-ordered this one way back then got a tracking number that didn't really do anything for six weeks. Given the general state of shipping and the border, I didn't worry about it much until it broke the 6-week mark last week. Wrote to Real Gone and they were like, "oh that first one is very lost," and sent another one out right away that got here in less than a week, even with a long weekend. May well have been one of the best packed records I've received in the mail too. Big thumbs up to Real Gone for the service and the product!

20210803_134350.jpg

Back