Fresh Grabs

Nucleus - Elastic Rock (Vertigo, 1970 First Pressing)
Nucleus - Snakehips Etcetera (Vertigo, 1975 First Pressing)

First up is a couple of great Nucleus albums that have been after for a while. Elastic Rock is their debut and sounds absolutely fantastic, such a killer copy although the cover is a bit worn. Snakehips Etcetera is their 8th album and despite the weird cover art its a superb album. This copy is in fantastic condition although it was absolutely COVERED in dust. I posted a before and after here. Just 1 more to get (the elusive 'Alleycat') and I will have all of their Vertigo releases.

IMG_5165.JPG

Miles Davis Quintet - Live In Europe 1967: The Bootleg Series Vol. 1(MOV, 2011 First Box Set Pressing)

Huge thanks to @Andy for sharing a superb deal on this over on the jazz thread. It's a set that I have been meaning to pick up for a while but its usually on the pricey side. Looks like a fantastic set and I can't wait to dig in.

IMG_5164.jpg

Wax Poetics No. 34 - The Jazz Issue

I used to read old issues of Wax Poetics quite a lot and was always wanting to get hold of this Jazz Issue. Finally managed to get a copy and its a great read.

IMG_5166.jpg

Mail call and a trip to Toronto (which was exhausting)
McCoy Tyner - Expansions
The Cure - 17 Seconds
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
Lou Donaldson - Sunny Side Up (Blue Note Connoisseur series - a 90s version of BN Classics/Tone Poets)
View attachment 107998
First trip to a record store since late Feb 2020

Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Mark Lanegan Band - Blues Funeral
Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree (a 1-2 punch of happy music)
Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds (OJC pressing)
Live Skull - Positraction (great late 80s noise)
Redd Kross - Researching the Blues (Stay Away from Downtown is such an awesome song)
View attachment 107999

Had found a connoissy series Wayne Shorter - the all seeing eye on hhv for cheap and have it coming with the next set of orders. Wasn't sure about the quality but I'm excited to hear these are up there with tone poets. AAA I'm guessing in that case? Figured it would have been DMM.

Where did you get that Eastern Sounds from by the way? Looking for an OJC copy.

Had found a connoissy series Wayne Shorter - the all seeing eye on hhv for cheap and have it coming with the next set of orders. Wasn't sure about the quality but I'm excited to hear these are up there with tone poets. AAA I'm guessing in that case? Figured it would have been DMM.

Connoisseur Series are usually well done by Michael Cuscuna I believe.

I have a couple of the Connoisseur series and have liked them. Not sure if it is AAA or digital but I have liked the quality. I used to see them all the time for a good price but like all "collectable" vinyl they have gone up in price.

I grabbed the Lateef from a store in Toronto. It is a 2018 reissue that pops up on discogs, though I don't think there are any for sale in Europe

I had my eye on the 4mars... finally just got their digital discography. How's the pressing?

I can't spin the record for now (not at home). Will tell you as soon as I can. The story behind these recordings is, once again, fantastic. I love this label so much (Ostinato, Analog Africa and a few others, they do an amazing work).

I can't spin the record for now (not at home). Will tell you as soon as I can. The story behind these recordings is, once again, fantastic. I love this label so much (Ostinato, Analog Africa and a few others, they do an amazing work).
same, I always wait for a bandcamp friday and lay down a few bucks for 'em if I can. they did a "get the digital discography for 30% off" or whatever it was, wound up being like $40, not as nice as vinyl but totally worth the dosh

same, I always wait for a bandcamp friday and lay down a few bucks for 'em if I can. they did a "get the digital discography for 30% off" or whatever it was, wound up being like $40, not as nice as vinyl but totally worth the dosh

Do you receive a pdf with the booklet or only the tracks?

Do you receive a pdf with the booklet or only the tracks?
You know, I don't remember -- I downloaded and unzip'd into my NAS drive that I have attached to my work comp, I don't think I ever checked for a PDF. I know the download of dur-dur band of somalia didn't have the booklet in digital form, but I'm not sure if that release was from that label....

Mastered by the great Wally Traugott, you're in good hands there . Wally !!!

George Harrison - All Things Must Pass 50th Anniversary

• The Good News: All the discs seem clean, centered, and the itty bit I played sounded great though I want to at least do the main album in one long go and I've not had the time.
• The Bad News: Every single disc is dished, one almost imperceptably, one almost hysterically so.
• The Editorial: The discs are only dished, and that doesn't effect the sound or cause the stylus to move erratically, so if I'm correct that they sound good I'm probably not going to do anythying about it, unless I get a VinylFlat.
• The Letter to the Editor {aka I'm Not Crazy You're Crazy}: I thought it was weird these weren't pressed at Optimal considering everything else from Apple has been for years now. But looking at the discs they have that hazy look with iridescence towards the outer edge, whereas GZ usually look clear with pretty much no iridescence. I bet these things were plated at Optimal and then because everywhere's swamped they sent the plates to GZ because they have higher capacity if I remember correctly and might've found it easier to deliver on-time. Then again I have something I know is going through GZ that I preordered in May and isn't expected until October so either this has been in the works a long time, or GZ gave it priority because it's a major contract.

• Editor's Note: Again, did I need to type all this?

20210808_215656.jpg

Picked this up for $1 today and figured I couldn't go wrong. Covers a lot of territory and the vinyl looks to be in VG+ shape or better--needs a cleaning but no noticeable marks. By today's standards it's a nice boxed set--polylined sleeves, 4 LP's, colored vinyl, and a full-size, 14-page booklet with brief essays on each artist along with black-and-white photos, like the full-page one below of Willie "the Lion" Smith. That being said, I'm sure it has little or no 'value' so I'll have to do my best to get my buck's worth!

FL6.jpg

FL5.jpgFL4.jpgFL1.jpgFL3.jpgFL2.jpg

Back