Fresh Grabs

So, went in yesterday because I've not been in in a while and the Eilish came out. Managed to get two of the three I was looking to get that day, the Eilish and the Dacus. The third would've been Spellling's The Turning Wheel, but no such luck. I'll be back there next weekend to pick up the anniversary reissue of All Things Must Pass, so I'll probably order one then. I should've yesterday - it was one of the employee's birthday so it seems everything in the store was 25% off - but I was sort of shell-shocking due to a combination of being near the store's closing time, them having one of those led disco-light things with most of the main lights out, them blasting “Le Freak” and “I Will Survive,” and it was crowded. They also apparently had had Bad Brains’ self-titled earlier in the day, and I would've been tempted but mercifully it seems someone had spared me from the quandary. Did I need to type all this out? Probably not but now I have.

Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever

Seems my friend and I picked up the last two in stock. And once again unintentionally winding up with colored variants because I kept up with the release date!

_MG_0624.jpg

Lucy Dacus - Home Video

Honestly might've picked this up just for the cover but I was seeing it everywhere around here and yes it should be. My side two is off-center pretty badly but I'll just have to see if it's enough to bother me.

_MG_0625.jpg

Khemmis - Hunted

One of the few N&G RotMs I've listened to - just lethargy - and it good. I was feeling like I had a metal deficiency of late anyway.

_MG_0626.jpg

This isn't entirely a fresh grab. My copy from TTL that arrived a couple months ago was scratched to all hell and skipped on multiple discs and sides. And although they replaced it without much hassle, they wouldn't send a replacement until I returned it. All in all it took two months to get a replacement copy. Which makes me kind of hesitant to order from them again, but I probably will because their benefits mostly outweighed the pain. But does anyone else here have either the Montreal or the Carbondale Widespread Panic box? The inners they use are literally sandpaper. My replacement plays without skips but tons of surface scratches. I've never gotten an album in such god awful inners before.

20210731_150733.jpg
20210731_150842.jpg

Motown Gold Volumes 1-3

The family took a road trip down the west coast of Sweden and a day in Gothenburg finally gave me a chance to have a proper dig in its record shops. I had forgotten how much I love searching through second-hand records - so much more rewarding than buying new stuff. I picked up six records (9 discs in total) for less than a new release. I'd just thought a couple of weeks ago that I needed a decent Motown compilation so was delighted to find these three cheap as chips.

20210729_140906.jpg

Prince - Lovesexy
Pat Thomas - Stage Two
Kokoroko - Carry Me Home
Wildflower - 3

Prince was another Gothenburg grab, the last of his essential albums that I wanted to get. Pat Thomas is not the RSD release but a new clear vinyl version, one of the few albums by the Ghanaian singer that I don't have so v happy with this. I wish Kokoroko would put out something more substantial but another EP will have to do for now. While Wildflower is more great London jazz.

20210729_140814.jpg

Zbigniew Namyslowski Quintet - Kujaviak Goes Funky
Wojtek Mazolewski Quintet - Polka Live

Most surprising of all in Gothenburg was to find some funky Polish jazz. Goes well with the RSD release I ordered directly from Poland.

20210729_140847.jpg

Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
3rd Generation Band - Because of Money
REM - Radio Free Europe
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Gbeti Madjro

I still have to check out the 45 thread but one of the things I like the most with singles is it's still possible to find bargains on them, more so than with albums. The Otis Redding (a Swedish first press) was under $2. Plus reissues from Ghana, Athens, and Benin - all of them fab.

20210729_140832.jpg

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
Hanne Kolstø - Fest Blikket

And late breaking purchase. Our N&G AOTM is my gateway to Teenage Fanclub. Long thought I should love them but have never quite got into them. Maybe I was trying the wrong album as this one really clicked with me this time. And a bonus purchase for $4 from my local of a Norwegian singer I dig.

20210801_155743.jpg

Motown Gold Volumes 1-3

The family took a road trip down the west coast of Sweden and a day in Gothenburg finally gave me a chance to have a proper dig in its record shops. I had forgotten how much I love searching through second-hand records - so much more rewarding than buying new stuff. I picked up six records (9 discs in total) for less than a new release. I'd just thought a couple of weeks ago that I needed a decent Motown compilation so was delighted to find these three cheap as chips.

View attachment 107335

Prince - Lovesexy
Pat Thomas - Stage Two
Kokoroko - Carry Me Home
Wildflower - 3

Prince was another Gothenburg grab, the last of his essential albums that I wanted to get. Pat Thomas is not the RSD release but a new clear vinyl version, one of the few albums by the Ghanaian singer that I don't have so v happy with this. I wish Kokoroko would put out something more substantial but another EP will have to do for now. While Wildflower is more great London jazz.

View attachment 107336

Zbigniew Namyslowski Quintet - Kujaviak Goes Funky
Wojtek Mazolewski Quintet - Polka Live

Most surprising of all in Gothenburg was to find some funky Polish jazz. Goes well with the RSD release I ordered directly from Poland.

View attachment 107337

Otis Redding - The Dock of the Bay
3rd Generation Band - Because of Money
REM - Radio Free Europe
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Gbeti Madjro

I still have to check out the 45 thread but one of the things I like the most with singles is it's still possible to find bargains on them, more so than with albums. The Otis Redding (a Swedish first press) was under $2. Plus reissues from Ghana, Athens, and Benin - all of them fab.

View attachment 107338

Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
Hanne Kolstø - Fest Blikket

And late breaking purchase. Our N&G AOTM is my gateway to Teenage Fanclub. Long thought I should love them but have never quite got into them. Maybe I was trying the wrong album as this one really clicked with me this time. And a bonus purchase for $4 from my local of a Norwegian singer I dig.

View attachment 107339
It's a little crazy how much amazing stuff came out of motown. Their compilations always blow my mind

Lots of pick-ups in the last few weeks that I haven't shared here yet.

Roy Brooks – Understanding (Reel To Real, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Bill Evans – Behind The Dikes: The 1969 Netherlands Recordings (Elemental Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Barney Wilen – La Note Bleue (IDA Records, 2021 Elemental Music Limited RSD Pressing)
Charles Lloyd – Manhattan Stories (Resonance Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Roy Hargrove, Mulgrew Miller – In Harmony (Resonance Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Mike Taylor Quartet – Preparation (Sunbeam Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Ron Carter - Golden Striker: Live At Theaterstübchen, Kassel (In+Out Records, 2021 RSD Limited Signed Pressing)
Roland Kirk – Live At Ronnie Scott's, 1963 (Gearbox Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

The final set of RSD items arrived over the past few days. The Mike Taylor Quartet and Ron Carter actually arrived a few weeks ago and I have to admit that I'm surprised the Taylor isn't mentioned more online as it really is stellar and the booklet that comes with it is a super detailed and lengthy biography. These are all actually historic recordings (with the Barney Wilen being a deluxe reissue) which are fantastic from a presentation perspective. Can't wait to properly dig in!

ECAD56C4-8AD6-4522-8D60-53AB8E98A852 2.JPG

The Alan Skidmore Quintet - Once Upon A Time.... (Deram, 1970 First Mono Pressing)
Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Orchestra - Live At Jazz Jantar (Poljazz, 1978 First Promo Club Special Edition - Signed)

A couple of killer pickups. I have been after the Alan Skidmore for a while now but Discogs prices are crazy at over £250 and I refuse to pay those prices. Managed to get this one on a different site and it's fantastic. It's going to be reissued soon as part of the British Jazz Explosion series so I wanted to get in there before more people become aware of it and the price bumps up. I also picked up this cool Thad Jones & Mel Lewis release which is signed by both of them on the front cover.

IMG_4765 2.JPG

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton - Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 2021 Tone Poet Pressing)
Blue Note Re:imagined 2020 (Blue Note, 2020 First Pressing)
Bill Evans - Symbiosis (MPS Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Joe Henderson • Chick Corea • Ron Carter • Billy Higgins ‎– Mirror, Mirror (MPS Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Abbey Lincoln - It's Magic (Riverside Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)

Some more jazz reissues/contemporary releases. The Katanga! is a record that I have been meaning to get but didn't want to pay the RRP (£32.99 plus postage!) so I held off and managed to get this at a better price. The Blue Note Reimagined is a great mix of classic Blue Note tracks covered by contemporary musicians including Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Steam Down, etc. Then there are the 3 VMP releases, with the 2 MPS reissues and Abbey Lincoln which FINALLY showed up 3 days before the start of the new month.

IMG_4766 2.JPG

Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle - One From The Heart (CBS, 1982 First Pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - Super Blue (CBS, 1978 First Pressing)
Cream - Disraeli Gears (Reaction, 1967 First Pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - Splash (Fantasy, 1981 First Pressing)

I haven't posted these yet (I don't think) but they are grabs from a couple of weekends ago when I visited friends in Nottingham and went to Robs Records. Robs is well known in the local area for being a great spot to find records BUT it's absolute chaos inside the shop. The whole place looks like a bomb has gone off, with the back room and upstairs inaccessible to anyone (including Rob) because there is a literal wall of boxes/records/magazines floor to ceiling, with mounds of the stuff covering the whole place. It's crazy that it's still open, to be honest. Anyway, I was able to find a few bits (below) after 30mins of digging but honestly could have spent the whole weekend looking, the amount of stuff is just so much.

IMG_4767 2.JPG

50 Summers Of Music: Montreux Jazz Festival by Arnaud Robert (Éditions Textuel, 2016)
Gateway to Jazz Kissa Vol. 2 by Katsumasa Kusonose (Self published, 2021)

A couple of great jazz bits here. The Montreux Jazz Festival book is a behemoth coffee table book of incredible photos and interviews with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins, Grace Jones, Wayne Shorter......fantastic! The second is a magazine from Japan (arrived in just a few days!) and is the second volume in the series that looks at Jazz Kissa (jazz bars/coffee shops).

IMG_4768 2.jpg

Finally, some random historic jazz ticket stubs and a signed postcard from Alan Skidmore.

IMG_4769 2.jpg

Lots of pick-ups in the last few weeks that I haven't shared here yet.

Roy Brooks – Understanding (Reel To Real, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Bill Evans – Behind The Dikes: The 1969 Netherlands Recordings (Elemental Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Barney Wilen – La Note Bleue (IDA Records, 2021 Elemental Music Limited RSD Pressing)
Charles Lloyd – Manhattan Stories (Resonance Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Roy Hargrove, Mulgrew Miller – In Harmony (Resonance Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Mike Taylor Quartet – Preparation (Sunbeam Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)
Ron Carter - Golden Striker: Live At Theaterstübchen, Kassel (In+Out Records, 2021 RSD Limited Signed Pressing)
Roland Kirk – Live At Ronnie Scott's, 1963 (Gearbox Records, 2021 Limited RSD Pressing)

The final set of RSD items arrived over the past few days. The Mike Taylor Quartet and Ron Carter actually arrived a few weeks ago and I have to admit that I'm surprised the Taylor isn't mentioned more online as it really is stellar and the booklet that comes with it is a super detailed and lengthy biography. These are all actually historic recordings (with the Barney Wilen being a deluxe reissue) which are fantastic from a presentation perspective. Can't wait to properly dig in!

View attachment 107376

The Alan Skidmore Quintet - Once Upon A Time.... (Deram, 1970 First Mono Pressing)
Thad Jones & Mel Lewis Orchestra - Live At Jazz Jantar (Poljazz, 1978 First Promo Club Special Edition - Signed)

A couple of killer pickups. I have been after the Alan Skidmore for a while now but Discogs prices are crazy at over £250 and I refuse to pay those prices. Managed to get this one on a different site and it's fantastic. It's going to be reissued soon as part of the British Jazz Explosion series so I wanted to get in there before more people become aware of it and the price bumps up. I also picked up this cool Thad Jones & Mel Lewis release which is signed by both of them on the front cover.

View attachment 107378

Curtis Amy & Dupree Bolton - Katanga! (Pacific Jazz, 2021 Tone Poet Pressing)
Blue Note Re:imagined 2020 (Blue Note, 2020 First Pressing)
Bill Evans - Symbiosis (MPS Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Joe Henderson • Chick Corea • Ron Carter • Billy Higgins ‎– Mirror, Mirror (MPS Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Abbey Lincoln - It's Magic (Riverside Records, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)

Some more jazz reissues/contemporary releases. The Katanga! is a record that I have been meaning to get but didn't want to pay the RRP (£32.99 plus postage!) so I held off and managed to get this at a better price. The Blue Note Reimagined is a great mix of classic Blue Note tracks covered by contemporary musicians including Nubya Garcia, Shabaka Hutchings, Steam Down, etc. Then there are the 3 VMP releases, with the 2 MPS reissues and Abbey Lincoln which FINALLY showed up 3 days before the start of the new month.

View attachment 107379

Tom Waits & Crystal Gayle - One From The Heart (CBS, 1982 First Pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - Super Blue (CBS, 1978 First Pressing)
Cream - Disraeli Gears (Reaction, 1967 First Pressing)
Freddie Hubbard - Splash (Fantasy, 1981 First Pressing)

I haven't posted these yet (I don't think) but they are grabs from a couple of weekends ago when I visited friends in Nottingham and went to Robs Records. Robs is well known in the local area for being a great spot to find records BUT it's absolute chaos inside the shop. The whole place looks like a bomb has gone off, with the back room and upstairs inaccessible to anyone (including Rob) because there is a literal wall of boxes/records/magazines floor to ceiling, with mounds of the stuff covering the whole place. It's crazy that it's still open, to be honest. Anyway, I was able to find a few bits (below) after 30mins of digging but honestly could have spent the whole weekend looking, the amount of stuff is just so much.

View attachment 107380

50 Summers Of Music: Montreux Jazz Festival by Arnaud Robert (Éditions Textuel, 2016)
Gateway to Jazz Kissa Vol. 2 by Katsumasa Kusonose (Self published, 2021)

A couple of great jazz bits here. The Montreux Jazz Festival book is a behemoth coffee table book of incredible photos and interviews with the likes of Herbie Hancock, Sonny Rollins, Grace Jones, Wayne Shorter......fantastic! The second is a magazine from Japan (arrived in just a few days!) and is the second volume in the series that looks at Jazz Kissa (jazz bars/coffee shops).

View attachment 107381

Finally, some random historic jazz ticket stubs and a signed postcard from Alan Skidmore.

View attachment 107382
One of the highlights of N&G, seeing your crate digging and new arrivals.

That Ron Carter Lp is stunning. Test record quality for me and my system!

Let us know how you like the Evans and the Miller/Hargrove please

One of the highlights of N&G, seeing your crate digging and new arrivals.

That Ron Carter Lp is stunning. Test record quality for me and my system!

Let us know how you like the Evans and the Miller/Hargrove please
Cheers! Its certainly been a busy few weeks. I luckily sold a few high priced records just before RSD which covered the cost of all of them. Couldn't have come at a better time!

The Ron Carter really is fantastic. Did you get his release last year (Foresight-Stockholm)? That's another great one.

Will do!

Did you get his release last year (Foresight-Stockholm)? That's another great one.
I have it on digital, but for me it's not nearly as well recorded as Golden Striker IMHO. Shame really as I'm a big fan of Renee Rosnes.

I hope you enjoy Katanga, it's a fantastic listen.

Last edited:
Back