Fresh Grabs

I still can’t believe Iron Maiden didn’t get inducted into the Rock Hall... few acts are more iconic.
I mean, the likes of Joy Division and Kraftwerk aren't in, so they obviously dont give a shit about musical pioneers, and certantly not anything that falls outside of how "rock" should sound. (unless its some safe 80's Hip Hop). But they rush to get the likes of Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam in...

I mean, the likes of Joy Division and Kraftwerk aren't in, so they obviously dont give a shit about musical pioneers, and certantly not anything that falls outside of how "rock" should sound. (unless its some safe 80's Hip Hop). But they rush to get the likes of Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam in...

I know this isn't the thread for the HOF snub debate, but I want to share my theory- we are really, really closing in on the era in rock and roll where the newly eligible artists are from "the mp3 era" and ones who did not sell millions of records. They'll have a couple easy ones at first like The White Stripes, but they are going to eventually be faced with top contenders like The Strokes, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, The National, et. al. And I think this terrifies the RNRHOF that they are looking at inducting a bunch of artists that casual fans are going to say "WHO??!" over, and what I think they are doing instead is stockpiling legacy high sales acts to stagger out over the years before they have to face inducting indie rock artists.

I think Rage and Maiden get in pretty soon, and they'll sell Maiden as a "long time coming" major event instead of it being the pathetic diss it has been for years. I think what they want is every year to induct: a 90's legend, an 80's overdue artist, an R&B/pop icon, a highly regarded singer/songwriter, etc...something to appeal to as many generations and fans of music as they can.

In a way, I kind of get it- this is entertainment, and the HOF is entertainment. They want to make the show appealing across the board. It's absurd the talent that is still on the outside looking in, but I really do think that they are about to clear out the backlog in a major way over the next few years.

But going back to my earlier point- I really hope I live to see the HOF forced to start inducting bands that came after the platinum selling heydey of music; it's going to create so many hilarious problems for for the industry execs and voters. Do you keep a Dave Matthews Band out of the HOF when they have been an elite tier tour band for 30 years? Do all the 80s/90s artists that were snubbed by their predecessors basically become their dads and brush off the next wave of artists because they didn't sell records, or will they champion new blood?

It's going to be juicy

EDIT: Pearl Jam is absolutely HOF worthy, but to me the Foos are first ballot because Dave is essentially their mascot. I really like Dave, but Foo Fighters had a great start but then made seven albums that sound like That One Foo Fighters Song.

20210515_192033.jpg

Took a chance on this from Amazon warehouse for $11, bumped corners but the vinyls pristine. I didn't get it in the shot but the sticker on the right says some FOMO inducing shit like "BUY IT NOW! you might never see it again!"

Last edited:
I know this isn't the thread for the HOF snub debate, but I want to share my theory- we are really, really closing in on the era in rock and roll where the newly eligible artists are from "the mp3 era" and ones who did not sell millions of records. They'll have a couple easy ones at first like The White Stripes, but they are going to eventually be faced with top contenders like The Strokes, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, The National, et. al. And I think this terrifies the RNRHOF that they are looking at inducting a bunch of artists that casual fans are going to say "WHO??!" over, and what I think they are doing instead is stockpiling legacy high sales acts to stagger out over the years before they have to face inducting indie rock artists.

I think Rage and Maiden get in pretty soon, and they'll sell Maiden as a "long time coming" major event instead of it being the pathetic diss it has been for years. I think what they want is every year to induct: a 90's legend, an 80's overdue artist, an R&B/pop icon, a highly regarded singer/songwriter, etc...something to appeal to as many generations and fans of music as they can.

In a way, I kind of get it- this is entertainment, and the HOF is entertainment. They want to make the show appealing across the board. It's absurd the talent that is still on the outside looking in, but I really do think that they are about to clear out the backlog in a major way over the next few years.

But going back to my earlier point- I really hope I live to see the HOF forced to start inducting bands that came after the platinum selling heydey of music; it's going to create so many hilarious problems for for the industry execs and voters. Do you keep a Dave Matthews Band out of the HOF when they have been an elite tier tour band for 30 years? Do all the 80s/90s artists that were snubbed by their predecessors basically become their dads and brush off the next wave of artists because they didn't sell records, or will they champion new blood?

It's going to be juicy

EDIT: Pearl Jam is absolutely HOF worthy, but to me the Foos are first ballot because Dave is essentially their mascot. I really like Dave, but Foo Fighters had a great start but then made seven albums that sound like That One Foo Fighters Song.

To be fair I don’t think Iron Maiden give at toss about the HOF...Bruce Dickinson is less than diplomatic when the subject comes up

Hit the local for a few yesterday, and the 3rd Dino showed up at the door!

Dan Mangan - Oh Fortune
Dan Mangan - Club Meds
Dinosaur Jr. - Where You Been?
Sons Of Kemet - Black to the Future

View attachment 99743

I need those Dan Mangan records, his last record was my favorite from 2018. Such an underrated songwriter that very few people know about.

Back