Fresh Grabs

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Sato / Zoun Mibo / Tu T'es Trahie / Maimouna

Inspired by the Boom Boom centuries I thought I'd look up my Poly-Rythmo count on Discogs and it wasn't too bad.

Screenshot_20210510-214811_Chrome.jpg

The corollary though is that it gets harder and harder to find the remaining few. So I was overjoyed to find these four rarities, although sadly three of them are in pretty beat-up condition. The best news though is that the one in the worst shape (Sato - skips continuously for first 30 seconds on both sides) is an excerpt from Poly-Rythmo's most elusive album, Le Sato, featuring the eponymous rhythm that comes from Vodoun (voodoo) in Benin. And Acid Jazz have just announced they're reissuing it next month. I'm beyond excited.

20210512_145403.jpg

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Sato / Zoun Mibo / Tu T'es Trahie / Maimouna

Inspired by the Boom Boom centuries I thought I'd look up my Poly-Rythmo count on Discogs and it wasn't too bad.

View attachment 99055

The corollary though is that it gets harder and harder to find the remaining few. So I was overjoyed to find these four rarities, although sadly three of them are in pretty beat-up condition. The best news though is that the one in the worst shape (Sato - skips continuously for first 30 seconds on both sides) is an excerpt from Poly-Rythmo's most elusive album, Le Sato, featuring the eponymous rhythm that comes from Vodoun (voodoo) in Benin. And Acid Jazz have just announced they're reissuing it next month. I'm beyond excited.

View attachment 99056

Wow, seriously impressive!

Out of interest how many of the 232 are singles? Im always super impressed when you find these, cant imagine many were pressed to begin with.

Wow, seriously impressive!

Out of interest how many of the 232 are singles? Im always super impressed when you find these, cant imagine many were pressed to begin with.
Just counted on their artist page and it was 43 albums versus 163 singles. That doesn't leave much left but I'd guess most of those are albums as they were the backing band for a number of artists (including their own members/singers/writers) and they nearly all are albums.
The things I've read suggest that some of their records (particularly on the smaller labels; Acid Jazz is reissuing from their main Albarika Store label) were only pressed in a couple of hundred copies. Given time, Benin heat/humidity/record storage, kind of amazing so many survived (and no surprise why some of them in poor condition).
I guess it's like you with some of your jazz records - I'm always on the lookout for more but I have 5-6 trusted sellers from shops/Discogs/Ebay that I often buy from directly. The real problem now is that the ones I want are so rare that they're stupidly expensive. This "Le Sato" was listed as $130 for a B record, no cover! I've seen VG copies for $900. So that one was always going to be out of my reach. I sent Acid Jazz a list of albums I thought they should press and this was my number one choice. (My number two choice was this by their one-time trumpeter)

Just counted on their artist page and it was 43 albums versus 163 singles. That doesn't leave much left but I'd guess most of those are albums as they were the backing band for a number of artists (including their own members/singers/writers) and they nearly all are albums.
The things I've read suggest that some of their records (particularly on the smaller labels; Acid Jazz is reissuing from their main Albarika Store label) were only pressed in a couple of hundred copies. Given time, Benin heat/humidity/record storage, kind of amazing so many survived (and no surprise why some of them in poor condition).
I guess it's like you with some of your jazz records - I'm always on the lookout for more but I have 5-6 trusted sellers from shops/Discogs/Ebay that I often buy from directly. The real problem now is that the ones I want are so rare that they're stupidly expensive. This "Le Sato" was listed as $130 for a B record, no cover! I've seen VG copies for $900. So that one was always going to be out of my reach. I sent Acid Jazz a list of albums I thought they should press and this was my number one choice. (My number two choice was this by their one-time trumpeter)

Thats really impressive!

Im not too clued up on African music but I have seen that crate digger documentary and tried picking up William Onyeabor releases and they are always difficult to find in any decent shape, yet alone playable.

Hats off to you for finding so many!

Nice variety of door drops the last few days!

Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds of Country Music VMP
King Curtis - Live at Fillmore West VMP
Kishi Bashi - Emigrant
Erin Rae - Putting On Airs
Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind

View attachment 99113
You got all the cherry red Dino Jr reissues now? I just picked up the last one I needed lasted week. They are all done so well and the bonus material is actually worth listening to. Glad to have them.

You got all the cherry red Dino Jr reissues now? I just picked up the last one I needed lasted week. They are all done so well and the bonus material is actually worth listening to. Glad to have them.
Not yet, have Green Mind and Without a Sound. Waiting for Where You Been to get here. Need to pick up the other one at some point. There were just 4, right?

Back