Fresh Grabs

You got all the cherry red Dino Jr reissues now? I just picked up the last one I needed lasted week. They are all done so well and the bonus material is actually worth listening to. Glad to have them.

I just finished grabbing all of these as well. What a great band, I had taken them for granted.

Lucky Thompson & His Orchestra - Lucky Thompson (Jazz Kings, 1980 Pressing)
Modern Jazz Classics (Philips, 1970 Club Edition Box Set)
Jazz At The Santa Monica Civic '72 (Pablo Records, 1972 Box Set)
Count Basie ‎– The Atomic Mr. Basie (Columbia, 1958 First UK Pressing)
John Jenkins / Clifford Jordan / Bobby Timmons - Jenkins, Jordan And Timmons (New Jazz, 1986 OJC Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions Of Eurasia (Fontana, 1958 First UK Pressing)
Paul Desmond With The Modern Jazz Quartet - The Only Recorded Performance... (Finesse Records, 1981 First UK Pressing)
Benny Goodman, Ella Fitzgerald - Benny & Ella (RCA, 1961 First UK 7" Pressing)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Basin Street (Fontana, 1959 First 7" Pressing)
Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings Gershwin No.1 (His Master's Voice, 1959 First 7" Pressing)

A decent pile from the carboot this week. The 2 box sets were interesting finds. The Modern Jazz Classics have the likes of Clifford Brown, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, etc in a mix of live and studio recordings, and cost me a quid. The Jazz At The Santa Monica Civic features Ellas Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, Lockjaw Davis, Stan Getz, etc and cost a bit more at £1.50. I already have the Lucky Thompson in a different pressing (which I didnt realise at the time) and I have another copy of the Basie so this is an upgrade. Apart from the box sets and the Jenkins, Jordan And Timmons (which was £3) these cost £1 each, so it was worth taking a chance on them.

IMG_0348 2.JPG

Beliner Jazz Tage 1968 Poster
Hasaan Ibn Ali - Metaphysics: The Lost Atlantic Album (Omnivore Recordings, 2021 Limited Pressing)
Playing The Band: The Musical Life Of John Hiseman by Martyn Hanson
Hamp: The Autobiography Of Lionel Hampton

The poster and Hamp were more carboot finds. Thanks to @britprogjazz for the speedy delivery on the John Hiseman book, I cant wait to dig into that. Hiseman was a British drummer that was married to saxophonist Barbara Thompson. They lived down the road from me (Barbara still does) and shes often in town walking around. I watched a couple of fantastic documentaries on them which I shared on the jazz thread the other day. The Hasaan Ibn Ali is one that I have been waiting in excitement since it was announced and after a bit of a nightmare trying to get a copy, my local came through and put their only copy to one side for me.

IMG_0349 2.JPG

The Rolling Stones - Big Hits [High Tide And Green Grass] (Decca, 1970 UK Pressing)

A final carboot find that I forgot to add to the photo. I picked this up because it was cheap and has all the pages of the 'book'. Its OK but I haven't ever really connected with their music so it might end up on the PIF thread at some point. Its noisy at times so nothing fantastic, but still a good listen.

IMG_0351.jpg

Back