Fresh Grabs

Eric Church is fantastic. I haven’t heard his new one yet though.
24 songs spread across 3LPs. First impression is that it’s ambitious and I always respect that. Definitely some great songs on here, but some filler too. I say check it out, if nothing else, the pandemic spurred some creativity!

Last edited:
Got a box from the mighty Shake It Records today. Plugged a couple holes, took a couple fliers.

Two great stickers included. @AnthonyI - I wish I had these when I sent you the stack for your table project.

African Scream Contest 2
Wussy - What Heaven Is Like
Chuck Cleaver - Send Aid
The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band - Dance Songs For Hard Times
The Sacred Mushroom

20210416_003358.jpg20210416_003335.jpg20210416_003316.jpg20210416_003259.jpg20210416_003238.jpg20210416_003209.jpg

Ian Carr With Nucleus - Solar Plexus (Vertigo, 1971 First Pressing)
Nucleus - We'll Talk About It Later (Vertigo, 1971 First Pressing)
Michael Garrick Sextet - Promises (Argo, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Eddie Lockjaw Davis With The Tommy Flanagan Trio - Straight Ahead (Pablo, 1976 First Signed Pressing)

A handful of jazz rarities here. The real vinyl gem is the uber-rare Michael Garrick which sounds phenomenal. I have been on a big Ian Carr binge lately and his work with Nucleus is mind-meltingly good. Solar Plexus is a favourite and well worth checking out. Finally a cool oddity of a record signed by Eddie Lockjaw Davis. Finally, something which I never thought I would own, Tubby Hayes' signature from a reliable dealer.

IMG_8940.JPG

MIA - Arular (XL Recordings, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Yussef Dayes Trio - Welcome To The Hills (Cashmere Thoughts, Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
John Lee Hooker - That's My Story: John Lee Hooker Sings The Blues (Riverside Records, 2020 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive)
Charles Musselwhite Blues Band - Tennessee Woman (Vanguard, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Madlib & Kaytranada - Driven By Sound (Pitchfork/Lexus, Vinyl Me Please 7" Pressing)

A superb VMP package on paper.....until you consider the warps. Arular is unplayable with the worst dishwarp I have ever had. Still, some fantastic music. I opened and cleaned Welcome To The Hills before seeing the crazy resale prices on discogs.....

IMG_8941.JPG

Lee Morgan - The Rajah (Blue Note, 2021 Tone Poet Pressing)
The Ronnell Bright Trio - S/T (Polydor, 2012 Sam Records Pressing)
Mosaic Catalogues

A cheap Tone Poet find (crazily I have not had this album on vinyl before). The Ronnell Bright is one that I have been hunting down for ages, I don't know where all these extra copies came from because there certainly wasn't any on Discogs etc for ages. Really excited to listen to that one and now I have a full set of Sam Records pressings to date (minus their artisan series).

IMG_8942.JPG

Courtney Pine - Journey To The Urge Within (Island Records, 1986 First Pressing)

Finally, my local record shop opened for the first time in months (lockdown has slightly lifted here). The shop is in a cafe so we popped in to grab a coffee and while nothing in the racks stood out too much I decided to pick up this Courtney Pine just to show a bit of support (fantastic record as well!!)

IMG_8943.jpg

H
Ian Carr With Nucleus - Solar Plexus (Vertigo, 1971 First Pressing)
Nucleus - We'll Talk About It Later (Vertigo, 1971 First Pressing)
Michael Garrick Sextet - Promises (Argo, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Eddie Lockjaw Davis With The Tommy Flanagan Trio - Straight Ahead (Pablo, 1976 First Signed Pressing)

A handful of jazz rarities here. The real vinyl gem is the uber-rare Michael Garrick which sounds phenomenal. I have been on a big Ian Carr binge lately and his work with Nucleus is mind-meltingly good. Solar Plexus is a favourite and well worth checking out. Finally a cool oddity of a record signed by Eddie Lockjaw Davis. Finally, something which I never thought I would own, Tubby Hayes' signature from a reliable dealer.

View attachment 95840

MIA - Arular (XL Recordings, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
Yussef Dayes Trio - Welcome To The Hills (Cashmere Thoughts, Vinyl Me Please Exclusive Pressing)
John Lee Hooker - That's My Story: John Lee Hooker Sings The Blues (Riverside Records, 2020 Vinyl Me Please Exclusive)
Charles Musselwhite Blues Band - Tennessee Woman (Vanguard, 2021 Vinyl Me Please Classics Pressing)
Madlib & Kaytranada - Driven By Sound (Pitchfork/Lexus, Vinyl Me Please 7" Pressing)

A superb VMP package on paper.....until you consider the warps. Arular is unplayable with the worst dishwarp I have ever had. Still, some fantastic music. I opened and cleaned Welcome To The Hills before seeing the crazy resale prices on discogs.....

View attachment 95841

Lee Morgan - The Rajah (Blue Note, 2021 Tone Poet Pressing)
The Ronnell Bright Trio - S/T (Polydor, 2012 Sam Records Pressing)
Mosaic Catalogues

A cheap Tone Poet find (crazily I have not had this album on vinyl before). The Ronnell Bright is one that I have been hunting down for ages, I don't know where all these extra copies came from because there certainly wasn't any on Discogs etc for ages. Really excited to listen to that one and now I have a full set of Sam Records pressings to date (minus their artisan series).

View attachment 95844

Courtney Pine - Journey To The Urge Within (Island Records, 1986 First Pressing)

Finally, my local record shop opened for the first time in months (lockdown has slightly lifted here). The shop is in a cafe so we popped in to grab a coffee and while nothing in the racks stood out too much I decided to pick up this Courtney Pine just to show a bit of support (fantastic record as well!!)

View attachment 95847
How do you like The Rajah?

Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies

Let's hope this sounds good, I can see its pressed at united, but when comparing to Plain Recordings, its hard to lose. One of the best modern Psych albums.
View attachment 96167
..aaand the first disc is severely warped. I seriously have the worst luck with qc these days.

H

How do you like The Rajah?
Just seen this.

Lee Morgan is my favourite jazz musician and this makes my 31st record with him as lead (or co-lead etc), so I'm slightly biased when it comes to his music. With that being said, I really enjoy it and think it's a great pick for the Tone Poet treatment.

I can kind of understand why it was initially shelved, not because it is a bad album but because the session is straight from the pocket and doesn't really touch on anything new from Morgan. I assume the Blue Note shelves were pretty saturated with ready-to-go sessions in 1966 and perhaps Lion was a bit more selective.

Still really glad to have gotten it though and it's certainly one that I will listen to a lot.

Back