Fresh Grabs

Those of you who received Lazer Guided Melodies, did you order from the Fat Possum Bandcamp page? If so did you get a shipping notice? I have not heard anything yet (though officially it is only released today I think)

Those of you who received Lazer Guided Melodies, did you order from the Fat Possum Bandcamp page? If so did you get a shipping notice? I have not heard anything yet (though officially it is only released today I think)
Ordered straight from their site, got here a couple days ago and now im in communication with them for a replacment.

For those wondering they're pressing more in a couple weeks.

I ordered from Fat Possum direct I think, and received it a couple days ago. Not sure that helps any, but not sure why it would be any different.

Finally found an estate sale that looked promising, and the time investment paid off (or that's what I'm telling myself!). Nice variety from jazz, to rock/psych, and white-man blues. Picked up 14 records for $2 each and only purchased if the vinyl was clean (and I was pleasantly surprised that in most cases it was). Exceptions are the Miles Davis and Wes Montgomery, both of which have some marks but look very good for their ages (1959 and 1962 mono originals, respectively). Also cool to get the full foldout jacket Isaac Hayes.

ES423b.jpgES423a.jpg

Also at this sale was a Thorens turntable that I think was a TD-124. I'm posting a pic that was posted by the outfit that ran the sale. I didn't see it "in person" and knew I wouldn't get close to it. I arrived 90 minutes prior to the start of the sale; the couple that bought the turntable showed up 4 hours early. Even so, they were fortunate to get it because all you have to do is turn the wrong way when you enter the house and the opportunity would be gone. But hey, if someone's going to own this turntable, maybe it's not too surprising that their vinyl was in good shape!

ES423c.jpg

New Music Friday Fresh Grabs
7EDDEAB0-61F4-4229-873D-1F65668B2D45.jpeg
Van Morrison - Moondance
Slim Harpo - Baby Scratch My Back

Dinosaur Jr. -Sweep It Into Space
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

5128269C-32D1-407A-929B-DD499D477005.jpeg
Various Artists - The Best of Louie Louie
Neil Young - Freedom
Timbuk 3 - Greetings From Timbuk 3
Primal Scream - Give Out But Don’t Give Up

I hadn’t been to the local store in a few weeks so I decided to head by during my lunch break today and pick up some stuff. Everything except Van Morrison was picked up at my local. Moondance was from Amazon, they have a reissue of the AAA Kevin Grey pressing at a good price so I picked that up. The main reason I went to the local was for the new Dinosaur Jr. and Pantera, The Dinosaur Jr. sounds decent but has a bit of an edge warp unfortunately. The Pantera LP isn’t the one I went for, I wanted a copy of Far Beyond Driven with the original album art but apparently so did some other people because it was gone before I got there. I picked up Cowboys From Hell as a consolation but I’m glad I did. Spinning it right now and it sounds pretty great. Slim Harpo was something that @JonnyH brought to my attention in the VMP Classics Thread and I like what I heard and AAA blues records are always worthwhile. I also perused their wall of cassettes and found a few interesting tapes the Primal Scream is a nice pull and a full tape of “Louie Louie” should be fun.

Last edited:
Ordered straight from their site, got here a couple days ago and now im in communication with them for a replacment.

For those wondering they're pressing more in a couple weeks.
Same situation for me. Jacket on this release is way too tight and both records were warped. Fat Possum is pressing more currently.

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds (Prestige Moodsville, 2021 Craft One-Step Pressing)

This arrived earlier in the week and it has barely left my table. Absolutely stunning pressing of a killer album. The sleeve had a few marks unfortunately but luckily for me, they are sending a replacement.

IMG_9326.JPG

Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit (Blue Note, 1963 First Mono Pressing)

One of the finds of the year in absolutely stunning condition. Original Blue Notes rarely pop up here in the UK in this condition so I was thrilled to get this. I can never tire of Green's playing and this one is a particularly lively session.

IMG_9325.JPG

The Michael Garrick Quintet – Poetry And Jazz In Concert: Record Two (Argo, 1964 First Mono Pressing)
John Surman - How Many Clouds Can You See? (Deram, 1970 First Pressing)
The Joe Harriott Double Quintet - Indo-Jazz Suite (Columbia, 1966 First Mono Pressing)

A fantastic collection of classic British jazz albums. The Poetry And Jazz In Concert is part 2 (I managed to find part 1 a while ago) and sees the likes of Michael Garrick and Joe Harriott playing alongside poetry. I just picked up the John Surman a few hours ago. I was chatting to someone online about it and it turns out that they live just a few doors down from me. Really nice guy and after a long chat it turns out that he bought this new in 1970, wasn't too fond of it and only played it once! Finally a cheapo find of Joe Harriott with John Mayer.

IMG_9323.JPG

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Pacific College (Vogue Records, 1953 First 7" Pressing)
Art Pepper - Among Friends (Flyright Records, 1980 First Pressing)
Lou Donaldson - Sophisticated Lou (Blue Note, 1973 First Pressing)

Popped down to my local record shop in the week and he just got in a big batch of jazz records to sort through and price. He let me jump in early and I pulled out a couple that caught my eye. In all honestly, I could have picked more but wanted to let him price them up first. He offered these up at a lot less than their value which was nice of him.

IMG_9324.JPG

Journey To A Destination Unknown - Barbara Thompson MBE (Jazz In Britain, 2020)
The Many Faces Of Harry Beckett by John Thurlow (Jazz In Britain, 2020)

Finally, a couple of books from @britprogjazz. Really looking forward to digging into these.

IMG_9322.JPG

Quick stop by the local to pick up that Slim, and grabbed a few others. Was debating buying the Gearbox releases, when none other than @hatfieldpdx out of the blue encouraged me to get more records 🤣

View attachment 96808
Nice grabs! I picked up two of those yesterday, I probably would have grabbed Vulgar Display of Power too but my Rhino copy sounds really good. I ended up ordering Far Beyond Driven (along with the Spiritualized reissue) from Amoeba using their 15% off sale. I was very pleased with both Slim Harpo and Pantera, they were both nicely pressed.

Back