Fresh Grabs

Are Bang & Olufsen the Turntable that has a proprietary cartridge? I always thought they were super slick design wise kind like they were inspired by Dieter Rams but dealing with finding a replacement cart always scared me off.
My dad grew up using my grandad's Bang & Olufsen Beogram 1001 (which was released around the early 1970's). I have it stored away somewhere and when he gave it to me my dad remembered that when they bought a replacement cartridge it cost a lot back then. Quite a considerable chunk for what was essentially the family player.

Last edited:
Prince
Keith Jarrett - Budapest Concert

A great haul this week. The last Prince for now (thanks again Secret Santa for setting it off), and a brilliant Jarrett solo gig.

20210411_120411.jpg

Franco et OK Jazz x 3

I just found out about Planet Ilunga, a Belgian label, that has so far put out three compilations by the Congolese genius Franco. I got these direct from the label boss and they're fabulous. They tend towards the gentler side of Franco highlighting his early songs, bolero, and Rumba, respectively. I have 20-odd albums of his already but now realise just how much more there is to go. The first compilation says they recorded 500+ songs in their first five years to 1961 (they carried on for another three decades!)

20210411_120431.jpg

Janusz Muniak Quartet - Placebo
Heavy Metal Sextet

Wonderful Polish jazz as I slide slowly down this rabbit hole. I found Janusz Muniak totally by accident as I bought something else on Discogs and I then found this Heavy Metal Sextet (great fusion jazz) when I went to buy more of Muniak. Each were $3 so I can't complain.

20210411_120450.jpg

Prince
Keith Jarrett - Budapest Concert

A great haul this week. The last Prince for now (thanks again Secret Santa for setting it off), and a brilliant Jarrett solo gig.

View attachment 95230

Franco et OK Jazz x 3

I just found out about Planet Ilunga, a Belgian label, that has so far put out three compilations by the Congolese genius Franco. I got these direct from the label boss and they're fabulous. They tend towards the gentler side of Franco highlighting his early songs, bolero, and Rumba, respectively. I have 20-odd albums of his already but now realise just how much more there is to go. The first compilation says they recorded 500+ songs in their first five years to 1961 (they carried on for another three decades!)

View attachment 95231

Janusz Muniak Quartet - Placebo
Heavy Metal Sextet

Wonderful Polish jazz as I slide slowly down this rabbit hole. I found Janusz Muniak totally by accident as I bought something else on Discogs and I then found this Heavy Metal Sextet (great fusion jazz) when I went to buy more of Muniak. Each were $3 so I can't complain.

View attachment 95232

Nice haul! Keith Jarrett is someone that I’m yet to explore. Quite the rabbit hole by the looks of it.

Nice haul! Keith Jarrett is someone that I’m yet to explore. Quite the rabbit hole by the looks of it.
I'm still only grazing - I've got the classics of Köln, Bremen and Lausanne, plus Munich from the same tour as Budapest. Then I've got both his trio standards live, which I love. There's so much more to explore. But I tend to go fairly slowly and conservatively otherwise I just buy way too much in one go...

Few recent mail calls:

Firewatch Ost- purchased from the kickstarter. One signed in yellow vinyl, one on the regular black.
Art Blakey - Moanin' Blue Note classic. Happy to have received this from the semi-local. One copy left if anyone is looking:

20210411_122844.jpg

Another set of budget picks from my local shop. As the Wings and Stones records attest, I’m officially in the “good bad album” stage of my record collecting:

C421273B-88E5-4651-B30E-997E6D559495.jpeg

That double live Zappa also has some questionable tracks, but the sides that are mostly instrumental (2 and 4) are great and worth the $7 I paid for it.

Middle Kids - Today We're The Greatest
Ali Farka Toure - "Red"
Heaven Must Have Sent You - 25 Northern Soul Classics

A fab PIF from @Joe Mac that I'd rather forgotten about - thanks so much! I was kind of resigned that VMP was going to get the exclusive on the Ali Farka Toure but glad they released it on black vinyl - now for "Green" too. And a Northern Soul compilation that was practically free to pad out the Juno order...

20210412_205743.jpg

Ali Farka Toure - "Red"

A fab PIF from @Joe Mac that I'd rather forgotten about - thanks so much! I was kind of resigned that VMP was going to get the exclusive on the Ali Farka Toure but glad they released it on black vinyl - now for "Green" too. And a Northern Soul compilation that was practically free to pad out the Juno order...

View attachment 95391
Can't beat some Northern Soul.

Ali Farka Toure - "Red"

View attachment 95391

Can't beat some Northern Soul.
Oh man, there was a point where I was very close to falling down the Northern Soul 7" rabbit hole. I had a handful of sought-after singles but the real good stuff was just unobtainable and unaffordable. Sooooo many hardcore collectors and they tend to go for mega-money. It's just crazy how many sub-cultures there are within buying records.

Oh man, there was a point where I was very close to falling down the Northern Soul 7" rabbit hole. I had a handful of sought-after singles but the real good stuff was just unobtainable and unaffordable. Sooooo many hardcore collectors and they tend to go for mega-money. It's just crazy how many sub-cultures there are within buying records.
When I took ownership of my parents record collection there were a couple of singles in there that must have been picked up by the Northern Soul DJ's. Bit of a shock to find an £100 record there! I started buying up the Deptford Northern Soul Club reissues, but jumped off just before the completionism bug took hold...

Back