Fresh Grabs

"I like all types of music, from the most aggro- fucking mental hardcore, to the most chilled out ambient."
- Richard D. James

Boards of Canada... a personal favorite for chilled out. Their artwork is also something to behold.

View attachment 92793View attachment 92794View attachment 92795View attachment 92796View attachment 92797

A visual representation of how Boards of Canada makes me feel:

Then there's Miles...
UK import of In a Silent Way on white vinyl. Just a genius album, Top 5 Miles for me. Start your early mornings with this album.
View attachment 92798

Just scooped up my first Boards of Canada album this past weekend. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

How is this Miles pressing?

Busy few days at the mailbox:
D93DFE9D-518E-409B-8E05-CDB379E9CD28.jpegneil box, CCR pIF from @Chris V , new Sara Watkins, a whole slew of stuff from Julia Haltigan (I ordered this at the behest of the @KendraMorris ROTM thread - a year ago - I was rummaging through emails the other day and noticed the confirmation of order and realized I never got it.. it was sent to the wrong address... I emailed her and she dispatched a new copy with two cds, a sticker and a postcard!) and the new Middle Kids!

Last edited:
Only The Freshest Grabs
0794A1E3-7634-4A7C-9911-909DE2ED7136.jpeg
Thurston Moore - Psychic Hearts
Buffalo Tom -
Birdbrain
Fleet Foxes - Shore

I just went to my local yesterday but I made another stop today because they finally got their copies of the new Fleet Foxes album in stock. I have been eagerly awaiting this album drop since the digital release this past Fall. It was one of my favorite releases from last year and will be a wonderful soundtrack to the Spring season. I picked up Buffalo Tom on a whim, @Yer Ol' Uncle D posted about this album recently and while I was familiar with a few Buffalo Tom songs I hadn’t really listened to any of their albums but after our Good Uncle’s post I gave it a listen and found it quite enjoyable. My local had a copy of that also so I grabbed that as well. Lastly is the original 1996 pressing of Thurston Moore’s “first” solo album. It was in great condition (sans the saw cut corner) the artwork of the OG is a bit different than the CD or the recent LP reissue on SY’s Goofin’ label. Also, the first LP is on translucent green wax while LP2 is on black wax but whereas side 4 on the recent reissue has some bonus demos and B-Sides; the original has an etching so it’s a bit different aesthetically. Thankfully the price was right; around $30 shipped so I couldn’t pass it up.

Quin Kirchner - The Other Side Of Time
Teaspoon and the Waves
Edo Funk Explosion Vol 1

Quin Kirchner is one of my favourite releases of the past decade so beyond excited to finally get this on wax - fabulous modern jazz from Chicago. Plus some amazing South African funky jazz, and awesome new Nigerian compilation from the wonderful Analog Africa with a cool tote bag thrown in.

20210324_204709.jpg

Quin Kirchner - The Other Side Of Time
Teaspoon and the Waves
Edo Funk Explosion Vol 1

Quin Kirchner is one of my favourite releases of the past decade so beyond excited to finally get this on wax - fabulous modern jazz from Chicago. Plus some amazing South African funky jazz, and awesome new Nigerian compilation from the wonderful Analog Africa with a cool tote bag thrown in.

View attachment 93108

100% co-sign on Quin!

A smash and grab at hhv and a purchase at growingbin records:

Waaju - Grown & Athletic Progression - Dark Smoke. UK Jazz scene style grabs, although Athletic Progression are from Denmark this pretty much aligns itself with the modern jazz out of London combining hip hop and jazz. It's on the hhv label and can be had for very cheap - I would recommend checking this and their follow up album out. Really chill stuff.

Waaju was one of my favourite Uk modern jazz releases from last year. I remember seeing it had made the best of lists on Spotify and from a few others on this forum as well.

IMG_20210325_085806.jpg

A Victor Assis Brasil record that was put out by Far Out Records a few years back. I love far out records releases and got an email from them saying they were pretty much down to their last copies on these. Maybe they'll repress it but I've put off buying this one for 3 years now so I figure if pick it up on sale at hhv.

Lost Horizons - in Quiet Moments. Ok this is one of my favourite releases this year. It's going to be a sleeper hit for sure as I don't think the label promoted it that intensely. Bella Unit puts out excellent stuff and this record is a compilation of great collaborations featuring some big names on music made by the label founders. It's a really beautiful record!

IMG_20210325_085752.jpg

And finally, another record I've put off buying now for ages. It's been sitting in my cart at Growing Bin records ever since I saw it on their blog. I finally pulled the trigger. The other release on this label are also similar...really dreamy ambient jazz. Aqueduct Ensemble - Improvisations on an Apricot.

IMG_20210325_085836.jpg

Last edited:
Aqueduct Ensemble - Impressions on an Apricot.
IMG_20210325_085836.jpg
You just love to see it!

A great spending spree at my local store a couple of weeks ago resulted in some really great bargains.
Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground (Near mint OG Uk press)
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders (2019 Jive repress) (Slightly dished but plays fine at $10)
Jason Isbell -Live from Alabama (Been chasing this for a long time and boom, there it was for a measly $15)
The Jam - The Gift (OG Uk-pressing with original wrap!)

20210325_093505.jpg

The Posies - Frosting on the Beater / Amazing Disgrace (Both 2018 represses that sounds awesome!)
Bmx Bandits - C86 (RSD 2020 leftover that I got for about $10)
20210325_093552.jpg

At last but not least, I finally recieved my Cherry Tree exclusives of the remasters. Sadly the s/t had a bad scratch, so I've reached out to CS.
Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the Cherry Tree E.p as well, but I guess I'll pick up the black one eventually.
20210325_093617.jpg

Last edited:
A great spending spree at my local store a couple of weeks ago resulted in some really great bargains.
Violent Femmes - Hallowed Ground (Near mint OG Uk press)
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders (2019 Jive repress) (Slightly dished but plays fine at $10)
Jason Isbell -Live from Alabama (Been chasing this for a long time and boom, there it was for a measly $15)
The Jam - The Gift (OG Uk-pressing with original wrap!)

View attachment 93149

The Posies - Frosting on the Beater / Amazing Disgrace (Both 2018 represses that sounds awesome!)
Bmx Bandits - C86 (RSD 2020 leftover that I got for about $10)
View attachment 93150

At last but not least, I finally recieved my Cherry Tree exclusives of the remasters. Sadly the s/t had a bad scratch, so I've reached out to CS.
Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the Cherry Tree E.p as well, but I guess I'll pick up the black one eventually.
View attachment 93151
Nice haul, but, Ooooo, Hallowed Ground, great album.

Speedy Delivery
D2D21E82-ADA4-4777-AC24-03C62B638B77.jpeg
Times New Viking - Rip It Off
Hiss Golden Messenger - Haw
These were some recent Discogs pick up that my friendly mailman dropped by today. Times New Viking is another late 00s Lo-Fi gem. Thankfully it was during the time that Matador was pressing on 180g wax at RTI and is still available on the secondary market for less than $20. There was a discussion on the Pre-Order thread about Hiss Golden Messenger after his new album was announced and since I had never really explored his music I decided to give this album a try. I went with the original pressing from 2013 because I liked the album art more than the recent Merge reissue and I am a sucker for a tip-on sleeve, plus the price was about the same for either version.

Back