Fresh Grabs

"I like all types of music, from the most aggro- fucking mental hardcore, to the most chilled out ambient."
- Richard D. James

Boards of Canada... a personal favorite for chilled out. Their artwork is also something to behold.

0321211549~2.jpg0321211542~2.jpg0321211541~2.jpg0321211542a~2.jpg0321211540~2.jpg

A visual representation of how Boards of Canada makes me feel:

Then there's Miles...
UK import of In a Silent Way on white vinyl. Just a genius album, Top 5 Miles for me. Start your early mornings with this album.
0321211528~2.jpg

Hit a couple of locals in the last few days, and probably a delivery mixed in.

Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life
Guided By Voices - Propeller
Miles Davis - Someday My Prince We'll Come
William Tyler - Goes West

08566BFE-D4C1-46EE-80E1-678173A9C561.jpeg

Kinks - Lola...
Charles Lloyd and the Marvels - Tone Poem
Elliott Brood - Mountain Meadows
Female Species - Tale of My Lost Love

B8F80F2A-8379-421F-A083-93F4647EC17D.jpeg

In the immortal words of @Skalap...

C’est Middle Kids!

View attachment 92860

It is a very pretty record

View attachment 92861

But despite coming in a whiplash mailer and having the nice protective net around it the mailer was not packed out so it moved around and so corner scrunches and seam splits galore 😭

View attachment 92862View attachment 92863View attachment 92864View attachment 92865

E-Mail looking for replacement sleeves sent out, sigh.
My copy hasn't shown up yet, but really enjoying this album :)

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond (Blue Note, 1964 First Mono Pressing)
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin Quintet - The Tenor Scene (Esquire, 1961 First UK Mono Pressing)

I will start with the big ones first. The Jackie McLean has been on my list for years but I could never justify the prices it seems to go for. I put an offer in on a copy on ebay and the seller contacted me through Instagram (he must have made the connection) with a fantastic offer. The record itself is in such fantastic shape! The demand for Esquire pressings always baffles me as they used the same plates from the US and for all intents and purposes they are the same record with a different label (although the vinyl quality is said to have been better in the UK...supposedly). The Esquire plant used to be in the next town along from me and I can actually see it in the distance from my apartment window. This copy is in absolutely stunning shape and I got it for a steal!
IMG_9653.JPG

Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon: The End Of Day (Republic Records, 2021 VMP Essentials Pressing)
Leon Ware - Musical Massage (Motown, 2021 VMP Classics Pressing)
Julien Baker - Little Oblivions (Matador, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes (Warp Records, 2012 First Pressing)
Moses Boyd Exodus - Displaced Diaspora (Exodus, 2018 First Pressing)
Derek Smith Trio - Piano Moods Volume Four (Pye, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
Art Farmer Quintet ‎– Vol. 2 (Sonet, 1957 First Swedish 7" Pressing)

A mixed bag here. The VMP albums look to be good, although I thought the Kid Cudi A/B disc was black at first! Super hard to see unless there is a strong light behind it but still looks cool. The Flying Lotus and Moses Boyd were super cheap pick ups (I paid less than £15 for the 2) and have been on my wantlist for a while! Finally 2 7" jazz releases. The Derek Smith Trio is actually super rare, although I didnt realise that until after I bought it, and the Art Farmer is an obscure Swedish release.
IMG_9652.JPG

Jazz Journal 1965 Complete

This was a real score, the complete 12 issues of Jazz Journal from 1965 bound into a single book which cost me just £3.75! There is tons to read here with some stunning cover artwork, this one of Thelonious Monk is my favourite.
IMG_9654.jpg

Finally, im not sure this counts as a 'grab' but my girlfriend's parents were sorting through their garage and found this wine box. I have a couple that I use for overflow and thought this might be a good addition. After cleaning it I lined it with matting and stuck some felt pads underneath. Not as nice as the other crates but does the job for now!
IMG_9655.JPG

0322211536~2.jpg

John Lee Hooker - VMP Pressing

Balam Alcab - See Birds EP (cross that off my want list).

A few years back, I spent a lot of time with this EP. I was listening to the track Big Boy on repeat at 4 in the morning in ABQ, New Mexico headed down to the international hot air balloon festival.

IMG_20181009_095543_148.jpg

Also picked up 2814 - Rain Temple (more ambient vapor) and a Beck 7 inch from the Sea Change era.

First up is the Gimmie Metal ROTM

A2CFBE89-84DB-4F2E-B391-F145B4303652.jpeg

Next up is an order that I placed on Saturday morning with Lagniappe Records in Lafayette, LA. Talk about super fast delivery!!! I was stunned when I got home today. The R.E.M. albums are original pressings and are upgrade copies of my OP. They also include stickers of their pups, Desmond & Frida.

60F80C36-74DC-4E92-832F-06D8513F18A6.jpeg

March grabs (I’m posting them today to prevent myself from buying anything else before the end of the month!)... Everything other the N&G ROTM were budget buys from my local shop, all in the VG/VG+ range unless noted:

C0B8E137-4174-4E6C-BCD2-37B6C2D81E6C.jpeg

The Coltrane is a late 60s pressing, a bargain at $6. Eno is a late 70s pressing at a reasonable $15. Isleys and Wings were cheapies as well. I recently decided to slowly pick up Macca’s 70s discography before he kicks the bucket and his stuff skyrockets in price overnight (no, I don’t have any intel of his health).

450ACC8F-C8A1-4081-9032-0B8867C583DE.jpeg

Keith Jarrett is one of the great bang-for-your-buck jazz artists. If you dig his 70s sound and can handle his occasional grunting, there’s a lot of joy to be had for quite cheap. I was stoked to find that RRK live album too, and for $7 at that.

FBDEB661-9F4D-491B-BC2A-DD2901C637A2.jpeg

@Selaws ’s ROTM pick arrived today and I just wrapped up its maiden spin; I’m excited to keep it on rotation for at least the next several weeks.

Shriekback was a random, recent discovery via AllMusic Guide wormhole (guess I didn’t know much about Gang of Four spin offs!). “This Big Hush” is a monumental 80s tune.

Muddy Waters and Mötley Crüe were dollar-bin finds. The Crüe album (shockingly) is not very good but “Too Young to Fall in Love” slaps.

Last edited:
Chasing Freshies
B907C02B-85F7-4AFD-B0C9-D73309359888.jpeg
Luna - Bewitched
Low - The Great Destroyer
J Mascis - Tied To A Star
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Jerry Jeff Walker - ¡Viva Terlingua!
Milty Zerostat 3 Anti-Static Gun

Luna was the recent Gotta Groove repress. The other 4 I picked up at my local today. All were used recent arrivals the Low and J Mascis aren’t anything special but were in pretty good shape and were a decent price. The Femmes is an album I’ve loved forever but kept putting off adding it to my collection. Then I noticed the price of the reissue climbing price on the secondary market and began to worry that I missed the boat. Thankfully this turned up at my local and they want a reasonable price. Jerry Jeff Walker is a great old school Country album. Last but not least I used some of that sweet stimulus cash to purchase a Zero Stat gun. I have read good things hopefully it works out.

Jackie McLean - One Step Beyond (Blue Note, 1964 First Mono Pressing)
Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Johnny Griffin Quintet - The Tenor Scene (Esquire, 1961 First UK Mono Pressing)

I will start with the big ones first. The Jackie McLean has been on my list for years but I could never justify the prices it seems to go for. I put an offer in on a copy on ebay and the seller contacted me through Instagram (he must have made the connection) with a fantastic offer. The record itself is in such fantastic shape! The demand for Esquire pressings always baffles me as they used the same plates from the US and for all intents and purposes they are the same record with a different label (although the vinyl quality is said to have been better in the UK...supposedly). The Esquire plant used to be in the next town along from me and I can actually see it in the distance from my apartment window. This copy is in absolutely stunning shape and I got it for a steal!
View attachment 92892

Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon: The End Of Day (Republic Records, 2021 VMP Essentials Pressing)
Leon Ware - Musical Massage (Motown, 2021 VMP Classics Pressing)
Julien Baker - Little Oblivions (Matador, 2021 VMP Exclusive Pressing)
Flying Lotus - Until The Quiet Comes (Warp Records, 2012 First Pressing)
Moses Boyd Exodus - Displaced Diaspora (Exodus, 2018 First Pressing)
Derek Smith Trio - Piano Moods Volume Four (Pye, 1956 First 7" Pressing)
Art Farmer Quintet ‎– Vol. 2 (Sonet, 1957 First Swedish 7" Pressing)

A mixed bag here. The VMP albums look to be good, although I thought the Kid Cudi A/B disc was black at first! Super hard to see unless there is a strong light behind it but still looks cool. The Flying Lotus and Moses Boyd were super cheap pick ups (I paid less than £15 for the 2) and have been on my wantlist for a while! Finally 2 7" jazz releases. The Derek Smith Trio is actually super rare, although I didnt realise that until after I bought it, and the Art Farmer is an obscure Swedish release.
View attachment 92893

Jazz Journal 1965 Complete

This was a real score, the complete 12 issues of Jazz Journal from 1965 bound into a single book which cost me just £3.75! There is tons to read here with some stunning cover artwork, this one of Thelonious Monk is my favourite.
View attachment 92894

Finally, im not sure this counts as a 'grab' but my girlfriend's parents were sorting through their garage and found this wine box. I have a couple that I use for overflow and thought this might be a good addition. After cleaning it I lined it with matting and stuck some felt pads underneath. Not as nice as the other crates but does the job for now!
View attachment 92895

Some brilliant additons!

I was recently given a first copy of Leon Ware record, had no idea what it was and love it. Expensive on Discogs!

Some brilliant additons!

I was recently given a first copy of Leon Ware record, had no idea what it was and love it. Expensive on Discogs!
Ah very nice, that's a great gift! Have to admit that I had never heard of it until it was released as this Classics pick but reading up on it, it looks fantastic. Im going to give it a spin tonight!

Chasing Freshies
View attachment 92953
Luna - Bewitched
Low - The Great Destroyer
J Mascis - Tied To A Star
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
Jerry Jeff Walker - ¡Viva Terlingua!
Milty Zerostat 3 Anti-Static Gun

Luna was the recent Gotta Groove repress. The other 4 I picked up at my local today. All were used recent arrivals the Low and J Mascis aren’t anything special but were in pretty good shape and were a decent price. The Femmes is an album I’ve loved forever but kept putting off adding it to my collection. Then I noticed the price of the reissue climbing price on the secondary market and began to worry that I missed the boat. Thankfully this turned up at my local and they want a reasonable price. Jerry Jeff Walker is a great old school Country album. Last but not least I used some of that sweet stimulus cash to purchase a Zero Stat gun. I have read good things hopefully it works out.
Almost grabbed the Luna repress, even though I have the Captured Tracks box set, just because I like the alternate cover

Back