Fresh Grabs

Replacement showed up today.
OaGwp7h.jpg

Wow! A few months ago I got an OG copy of Taifa for $40 In mono. Absolutely loved it. Lmk how uhuru sounds will ya?

Really great! I was really impressed by the pressing and the album is so bloody groovy, a really infectious listen. I don't know Taifa, will be on the lookout for it after hearing this one.

Big carboot haul today. Some real rarities/gems which I hardly ever see at the local carboot sale. I paid less than £2 on average (one guy did 7 records for a tenner for example) and got the 7" thrown into a bundle. Starting back to front, left to right we have:

Sonny Rollins - S/T (1975 compilation on Blue Note. 2LP set but hasn't got the cover).
Cal Tjader ‎– The Exotic Sounds Of Cal Tjader (Verve. A massive 29 song 2LP compilation).
Cal Tjader - Más Ritmo Caliente (1960 translucent red pressing on Fantasy).
Roland Kirk ‎– We Free Kings (1962 on Mercury. Hard Bop/Soul Jazz)
Gerry Mulligan And The Concert Jazz Band with Zoot Sims ‎– On Tour (1962 Mono. Picked up solely for Zoot!)
The Oscar Peterson Trio ‎– The Trio : Live From Chicago (1961. Bop)
Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis ‎– Trane Whistle (1967 Xtra Mono reissue. Big fan of Lockjaw, really killer musician!)
Session at Riverside (1957 Compilation of swing jazz. Im not an overly huge fan of swing but it was cheap enough to give a go)
Ella Fitzgerald ‎– These Are The Blues (1964 Mono on Verve)
Sweet Emma And Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band ‎– New Orleans (1964. Not familiar but it intrigued me, I'm guessing it will be dixieland or similar).
Blossom Dearie - Needlepoint Magic (1979 on Daffodil Records)
Art Tatum / Ben Webster ‎– The Art Tatum - Ben Webster Quartet
Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong ‎– Ella And Louis (Not 100% sure of the version yet, I need to check, but hopefully an original 1956 Mono. Picked this up as my current copy has a lot of pops/crackle)

7"
Sugarhill Gang ‎– Rapper's Delight (1979 French pressing on Vogue)
Queen - Another One Bites The Dust/Dont Try Suicide (1980 on Elektra)
Queen - We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You (1977 Canadian pressing on Elektra)

Big carboot haul today. Some real rarities/gems which I hardly ever see at the local carboot sale. I paid less than £2 on average (one guy did 7 records for a tenner for example) and got the 7" thrown into a bundle. Starting back to front, left to right we have:

Sonny Rollins - S/T (1975 compilation on Blue Note. 2LP set but hasn't got the cover).
Cal Tjader ‎– The Exotic Sounds Of Cal Tjader (Verve. A massive 29 song 2LP compilation).
Gerry Mulligan And The Concert Jazz Band with Zoot Sims ‎– On Tour (1962 Mono. Picked up solely for Zoot!)
Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis ‎– Trane Whistle (1967 Xtra Mono reissue. Big fan of Lockjaw, really killer musician!)
Session at Riverside (1957 Compilation of swing jazz. Im not an overly huge fan of swing but it was cheap enough to give a go)
Sweet Emma And Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band ‎– New Orleans (1964. Not familiar but it intrigued me, I'm guessing it will be dixieland or similar).
Ella Fitzgerald And Louis Armstrong ‎– Ella And Louis (Not 100% sure of the version yet, I need to check, but hopefully an original 1956 Mono. Picked this up as my current copy has a lot of pops/crackle)

7"
Queen - We Are The Champions/We Will Rock You (1977 Canadian pressing on Elektra)

View attachment 1122

Superb! I haven't been to a carboot sale in years, may have to look into local events more.

Superb! I haven't been to a carboot sale in years, may have to look into local events more.
I find its a mix of people trying to flog their 'rare' beatles reissues for £100's, endless boxes of jim reeves, and the rare seller that just wants their records to go to a good home and get played. I must have chatted jazz with these 2 sellers for half an hour before we even talked about how much they wanted for the records I was interested in.

7"

View attachment 1122
For the uninformed (me), what is a “carboot” sale? I know what a carboot is (we call it a “trunk”) - but is this like a flea market? Or just a bunch of dudes selling vinyl out of their cars?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance. 🤓

For the uninformed (me), what is a “carboot” sale? I know what a carboot is (we call it a “trunk”) - but is this like a flea market? Or just a bunch of dudes selling vinyl out of their cars?

Sorry in advance for my ignorance. 🤓

Yeah, it's basically people drive to a plot of land, park up and sell their old shit out of the back of their boot/trunk. This of course progressed to people with vans etc. that would pull out little fold down tables and sell their wares from there, more akin to a flea market. There's a saying about one person's junk being another's treasure, but largely, it's just junk.

Back