Fresh Grabs

UtwOvld.jpg

These are two titles I never thought I'd get my hands on, but recent reissue efforts made it possible — and to pick them up on the same day, well, *aggressive chef's kiss*.

Joe McPhee - Nation Time

This is probably an all-timer for me. Joe McPhee's fiery saxophone gets tangled with a rhythm section that's both unhinged and disciplined, and the resulting album - recorded at a concert - is a living, breathing document of free jazz fury that doesn't always try to fire on all cylinders. The few hot, dirty funk grooves in here are sustained for as long as they're needed. The entire album is seriously phenomenal.

Nation Time is well-known amongst many jazz circles but it's an excellent entry point into the genre. Big shoutout to Superior Viaduct — I don't know where they sourced this cut from, but listening to this reissue feels like the first time. A significant step up from my digital copy. Absolutely worth the wait, and worth your time.

Seaside Lovers - Memories in Beach House

Japanese labels have been on a roll reissuing city pop classics, and yet it took a US company to reissue one of its holy grails. Memories in Beach House isn't a personal favourite of mine from that era, but it is an extremely slick and melodic pop album (mostly instrumental) that takes in a healthy dose of balearic and ambient sounds. This is the now-OOP blue vinyl edition by Ship to Shore Phono Co., but they're now accepting pre-orders for clear vinyl.

Seaside Lovers was a one-time project of Hiroshi Sato, Akira Inoue and Masataka Matsushita. I highly recommend checking out their other works if you vibe with this — Hiroshi Sato's discography is immaculate alone, and Masataka Matsushita's collaborative album (The Aegean Sea) with Haruomi Hosono and Takahiko Ishikawa plays almost like a spiritual sequel to Memories.

Took a chance on a $38 4LP White Album via Amazon warehouse deals. Listed as VG.

This thing was factory sealed and pristine. Even came in the original unopened shipping packaging.

Also got the Love - Four Sail MOV pressing that I ordered on the cheap a while back.

View attachment 680

View attachment 677

My Beatles box, arrives on Tuesday. You got me hyped up!:love:

BBE J-Jazz Masterclass Series. Really excited to have both these with Earth Mother on the way to complete the series.

East Plants - Takeo Moriyama (the drum solo on the second track 竹 is awesome)
Tachibana - Tohru Aizawa Quartet

View attachment 714
These are both fantastic! Have you got the bbe J Jazz compilation or the Koichi Matsukaze Trio - Earth Mother? Highly recommend both!

These are both fantastic! Have you got the bbe J Jazz compilation or the Koichi Matsukaze Trio - Earth Mother? Highly recommend both!

I have Earth Mother on the way but it hasn't arrived yet. Definitely excited for that one. I haven't gotten the compilation yet. Did you see they are putting out a volume 2 for that comp?

I have Earth Mother on the way but it hasn't arrived yet. Definitely excited for that one. I haven't gotten the compilation yet. Did you see they are putting out a volume 2 for that comp?
Yeah myself, @Skalap and a few others over on the Jazz thread have been counting down the days until release!! Love the first comp so cant wait for the second, hopefully they will release some more full albums off the back of it!

Yeah myself, @Skalap and a few others over on the Jazz thread have been counting down the days until release!! Love the first comp so cant wait for the second, hopefully they will release some more full albums off the back of it!

Screenshot_20190518-162943.jpg

:love::love::love:

Strap in ladies and gents, I've been blessed by the vinyl gods today:

Ivy Sole - Overgrown (VMP - Replacement - Warped copy gifted)
The Lightmen Plus One - Energy Control Center (VMP - Replacement - Warped copy gifted)
Darrell Banks - Here To Stay (VMP - Replacement - Warped copy gifted)
James Booker - The Lost Paramount Tapes (VMP)
Experience Unlimited - Free Yourself (VMP)
Al Green - Call Me (VMP)
Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night (VMP)
Daniel Norgren - Wooh Dang (VMP - Yellow pressing)

Oneness of Juju - Space Jungle Luv (VMP)
Juju - Live At The East 1973 (VMP)
Oneness of Juju - Chapter Two: Nia (VMP)
Oneness of Juju - African Rhythms (VMP)

I have included the OG copy of African Rhythms for comparison. Im kind of surprised that they dampened the colours, the best part of the original is the vibrancy. They completely changed the back cover as well (I will put a couple of comparison shots on the 'VMP Store Exclusives' thread).

Santan Dave (also known as just 'Dave')‎– Psychodrama (limited Blue pressing)
The Faculty - OST (RSD 2019 'Alien Splatter')
Such an amazing film, I picked this up for a steal on eBay (local shop had it listed for £35 which is insane pricing). Lot of nostalgia as I watched this film as a kid, might have even been one of the first 'horror' films I watched.
The National - I Am Easy To Find (Cherry Tree Exclusive) with Cherry Tree exclusive T-Shirt. I managed to hold off on listening to this online yesterday so im really looking forward to this one!

Grant Kirkhope ‎– Banjo-Kazooie OST
Yooka-Laylee (Bonus PS4 game. I know its for kids but its made by the same guys that made Banjo-Kazooie so im hoping its as fun!)

So this is a complete nostalgia trip for me. Banjo-Kazooie was the first console video game I ever played and I loved it to bits. Over the years I have picked up random bits (the strategy guides and Gameboy Game in the pic) and it always brings memories flooding back. The OST goes for ridiculous prices online (discogs has it as £120 average and I have seen eBay sales in the past in the £200-£250 range). I found this at a fraction of its online price (cost the same as a standard release) and im over the moon!

Oh my days I haven't seen the sleeve yet. Cant wait!!!

Screenshot_20190518-170312.jpg

:love: :love: :love:

EDIT: sorry, I am in the wrong thread. Anyway, This is the fourth volum of BBE J-Jazz Masterclass. According to the_jazz_dad Instragram account (he is one of the curators of this serie), it's Makoto Terashita and Harold Land - Topology. It's already available for pre-order so I will post all the links in the Pre-Order thread right now :)

Back