Fresh Grabs

I just checked and it’s AUD$425 on Amazon!!! Shipped from the U.S.! So tempting but I know I can’t spend that much! I’m going to try and sell some records and if it all goes well, the. I can purchase this Boxset before the end of the year! 🤗

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. 😍 You surely have some sought after records from VMP or others you don't spin often, so I think this could work well. :) I'm very happy with how good these vinyls sound.

Last edited:
I will be totally transparent here. It sounds great to me but I am in no way an audiophile, haven't got any sort of incredible set up its literally a 400 euro turntable with built in pre amp connected to 120 euro powered monitors. I usually stay busy in some way while playing whether be on here or cleaning up etc so I wouldn't be the best person to ask perhaps but I absolutely love it. Had majority of the tracks on albums already but this was too nice to pass up. Record store told me the pre order sold out almost instantly for it a while back so lucky I got in then as they only got 10 and won't get anymore 🙏
Apparently, I ordered this a while back; I got an email today that there is some delay, but I’ll (probably) have a copy at some point...

Apparently, I ordered this a while back; I got an email today that there is some delay, but I’ll (probably) have a copy at some point...
Nice. Not sure if I mentioned this already but the guy in my local store told me I was lucky to get one. Their pre order sold out instantly & they couldn't fulfil all as they only got 10 of them. Said he expects it to be pressed again on black but not this variant

Few bits from this week.

Bill Evans - Evans In England (Resonance Records, 2019 Limited RSD Mono Promo Pressing)
The Michael Garrick Septet featuring Joe Harriott - ...At Short Notice (Jazz In Britain, 2020 First Limited Pressing)
Jackie McLean - It's Time! (Blue Note, 2020 Tone Poet Pressing)
Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings E&F Sides (International Anthem, 2020 First Limited Pressing on 'Mahogany, Pellucid' vinyl)
Sonny Stitt - Now! (Impulse!, 1963 First Mono Pressing)
Billie Holiday / Ray Ellis And His Orchestra - Billie Holiday (World Record Club, 1959 First UK Mono Pressing)
James Booker - Classified (Rounder Records, 2020 VMP Exclusive Pressing on 'Taupe Splatter' vinyl)
Subversion Through Jazz: The birth of British progressive jazz in a Cold War climate by Matt Parker

Quite the mixed bag this week. The Bill Evan's was actually bought earlier in the year but I was sent 2 copies of the second LP by mistake. Once I flagged it to Resonance the US postal service was having issues so it's only just now got to me, 5 months after the initial order. Still, totally worth the wait! I have been excitedly anticipating the arrival of the Michael Garrick album and it is FANTASTIC! I'm on the second spin of the morning currently, I just can't believe its 350 copy run has not sold out yet! To accompany the record, I also picked up Matt Parker's (of @britprogjazz) book, which from a brief flick-through looks like it's going to be a fantastic read! The Makaya McCraven forms an extension of his 2lp 'Universal Beings' album, so it should be a decent set (this is the coloured pressing). The Sonny Stitt was a cheapo ebay win and the Billie Holiday was a 50p find at today's carboot (getting me ready for her VMP Essential's release!). Booker arrived this week too, but has a bit of a warp annoyingly, so might have to assess how bad and potentially look for a replacement from VMP.

IMG_2707.JPG

I spent my morning in record stores. I went first at Balades Sonores at the opening, 10am. There were three people in line... It was quite sad to see this situation but in the other hand a lot of people pre-ordered online so it may explain why there were so few people. Anyway, I picked up my RSD exclusives from August and September, three other orders and added a few others. Next stop was at Gibert where I bought three JJazz records and Willie Colon's RSD exclusive. Finally, last stop at Superfly where I bought 5 otherd including a beautiful Portuguese record released in 1962 and still in shrink.

IMG_20200926_163854.jpg
IMG_20200926_163700.jpg
IMG_20200926_163636.jpg
IMG_20200926_163730.jpg
IMG_20200926_163755.jpg
IMG_20200926_163831.jpg

A nice quick Record Store Day stopping by a couple spots.

Don Cherry - Cherry Jam
Boys Next Door - Door, Door
Bill Evans - Some Other Time
Dave Pike - Jazz For The Jet Set
Jay Bennett & Edward Burch - The Palace At 4am
Canned Heat and John Lee Hooker
I Saved Latin - Wes Anderson movie songs
Parish Hall - s/t
The Unrighteous Brothers - 7"

Grabbed a couple others I've been wanting while there.

Jackie McLean - It's Time
Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
Yo La Tengo - Electro-Pura

53190F61-795B-42FC-9F17-20B2F9980C68.jpegA427CD31-2786-4E2F-8F91-011ABC21F5B5.jpeg44DA420F-150B-42BE-BEDA-E43D80217FBB.jpeg

Bc83Zrbl.jpg

My haul from this morning. @scotthilk snagged me a copy of Curren$y - Pilot Talk so I'll get that in whatever timeline the USPS sees fit. That's an original pressing of Repeater too! snagged it for $40 at Thrillhouse records.

The only other thing I want is the Booker T next time. If I hadn’t just bought a 80 Gillian Welch box, I would have picked up the Evans

Last edited:
Back