Fresh Grabs

Nice! I'm quite nostalgic for that sale, ha! I already have received quite a few of the albums and sets that I ordered, but a few are still to come. Man, I wish they ran that all the time!

The sale definitely helped me check some titles of my list so I’m content for now. Before you know it the holiday sales will be coming.

A couple of $1 finds at a local thrift store. Both look new, though the jolt of finding them is offset by hearing from the woman who handles media at this thrift store that they had a huge collection of as-new Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers vinyl. Of course, one person bought it all. Well, almost all. I went right past 'Hypnotic Eye' my first time through the few records that were there, and only noticed it was a Tom Petty record when I pulled out the vinyl to take a look. Win some/lose some.

TP2.jpg

YEESSSSS!!! Ive wanted this for so long and I'm delighted to have got this at face value. I had actually agreed to it with the "seller" in April but due to covid-19 they've been waiting for a good time to send it.

View attachment 61139
Fantastic, nice one buddy! I remember when this was released, it was my first ever Bandcamp purchase. Then a few weeks later it was 'leaked' who the line-up was and the person on the cover. Loved the mystery behind it all but love the music more!

YEESSSSS!!! Ive wanted this for so long and I'm delighted to have got this at face value. I had actually agreed to it with the "seller" in April but due to covid-19 they've been waiting for a good time to send it.

View attachment 61139

I am happy to see you finally grabbed a copy. I never saw this record for sale anywhere since you asked me for.

Some killer pick-ups today and a FANTASTIC PIF from our very own @Thackeraye!

Ella Fitzgerald - Sings The Cole Porter Songbook Volume II (His Masters Voice, 1956 First UK Mono Pressing)
Billie Holiday With Ray Ellis And His Orchestra - Lady In Satin (CBS, 1960 Mono Pressing)
Louis Armstrong And His All-Stars - Satch Plays Fats (Columbia, 1955 First 6-Eyed Mono Pressing)
Jazz-Club - Piano (Verve Records, 1989 First Pressing)
Oscar Peterson- Oscar Peterson Plays Cole Porter (Music For Pleasure, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
The Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band - At Her Majesty's Pleasure.... (Black Lion Records/Polydor, 1971 First Pressing)
The Sunset All Stars With Nat King Cole, Buddy Rich & Charlie Shavers - Anatomy Of A Jam Session (Black Lion Records/Polydor, 1971 Pressing)
Louis Armstrong - The Best Of Louis Armstrong - The Early Years (Parlophone, 1971 First Pressing)
The Modern Jazz Quartet - Fontessa (London Recordings, 1959 Mono Pressing)
Coleman Hawkins & Lester Young - Classic Tenors (Philips, 1971 Pressing)
Dolly Parton - Jolene (RCA Victor, 1974 First Pressing)
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (Columbia, 1968 2-Eyed Stereo Pressing)
Lucky Thompson - Lucky Thompson (Society, 1963 Mono Pressing)

Quite the haul today and a perfect test for my new record bag! Some absolute gems in this bunch. Dolly Parton's Jolene is a guilty pleasure and I couldn't believe I found this minty first pressing for £1! I love Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison (I have the RSD box) but have never found a first pressing in the wild, this and the Lucky Thomspon were £3 for the pair. After looking for Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook for ages I ended up finding vol 2 last week......and an even better looking copy today! This, the Billie Holiday (another I have been after for ages) and Oscar Peterson were 50p each. The rest of the bunch were £1 each, so it's not been particularly heavy on the wallet.

IMG_0971.JPG

Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel (Partisan, 2019 First Pressing)
Native by Akala
Monolith Audio Goat Hair Brush

I have to give a huge thanks to @Thackeraye for this stunning PIF! I am new to Fontaines D.C. but have been streaming this album loads. I think I even prefer it to their new one! Can't wait to hear it on wax! I think the Natives book counts as being music-related? It's written by Akala (who is incredibly articulate and knowledgable) and has had rave reviews. Finally, the dumbfounded look my girlfriend gave me when I told her I had bought a goat hair brush was worth the purchase alone.

IMG_1012.JPG

Some killer pick-ups today and a FANTASTIC PIF from our very own @Thackeraye!

Ella Fitzgerald - Sings The Cole Porter Songbook Volume II (His Masters Voice, 1956 First UK Mono Pressing)
Billie Holiday With Ray Ellis And His Orchestra - Lady In Satin (CBS, 1960 Mono Pressing)
Louis Armstrong And His All-Stars - Satch Plays Fats (Columbia, 1955 First 6-Eyed Mono Pressing)
Jazz-Club - Piano (Verve Records, 1989 First Pressing)
Oscar Peterson- Oscar Peterson Plays Cole Porter (Music For Pleasure, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
The Kenny Clarke Francy Boland Big Band - At Her Majesty's Pleasure.... (Black Lion Records/Polydor, 1971 First Pressing)
The Sunset All Stars With Nat King Cole, Buddy Rich & Charlie Shavers - Anatomy Of A Jam Session (Black Lion Records/Polydor, 1971 Pressing)
Louis Armstrong - The Best Of Louis Armstrong - The Early Years (Parlophone, 1971 First Pressing)
The Modern Jazz Quartet - Fontessa (London Recordings, 1959 Mono Pressing)
Coleman Hawkins & Lester Young - Classic Tenors (Philips, 1971 Pressing)
Dolly Parton - Jolene (RCA Victor, 1974 First Pressing)
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison (Columbia, 1968 2-Eyed Stereo Pressing)
Lucky Thompson - Lucky Thompson (Society, 1963 Mono Pressing)

Quite the haul today and a perfect test for my new record bag! Some absolute gems in this bunch. Dolly Parton's Jolene is a guilty pleasure and I couldn't believe I found this minty first pressing for £1! I love Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison (I have the RSD box) but have never found a first pressing in the wild, this and the Lucky Thomspon were £3 for the pair. After looking for Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook for ages I ended up finding vol 2 last week......and an even better looking copy today! This, the Billie Holiday (another I have been after for ages) and Oscar Peterson were 50p each. The rest of the bunch were £1 each, so it's not been particularly heavy on the wallet.

View attachment 61233

Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel (Partisan, 2019 First Pressing)
Native by Akala
Monolith Audio Goat Hair Brush

I have to give a huge thanks to @Thackeraye for this stunning PIF! I am new to Fontaines D.C. but have been streaming this album loads. I think I even prefer it to their new one! Can't wait to hear it on wax! I think the Natives book counts as being music-related? It's written by Akala (who is incredibly articulate and knowledgable) and has had rave reviews. Finally, the dumbfounded look my girlfriend gave me when I told her I had bought a goat hair brush was worth the purchase alone.

View attachment 61234
Glad it got to you quickly! Definitely need to go car booting with you one day based on the hauls you get!

I just cannot seem to catch a break these days with warped records. I've received 8 warped records in the last few weeks, and a few others that have been scratched up.

Not sure if it is the summer heat, the delays in USPS shipping (due to COVID and the new Post Master trying to dismantle the service), the lack of QC at certain pressing plants, or just sheer bad luck. But, it is getting awfully fatiguing having to reach out to labels, customer service, etc. just to try to get a flat record.

Today, Washed Out's new one, Purple Noon, showed up warped from Subpop. A real Loser Edition!

ezgif.com-video-to-gif (5).gif

Back