Fresh Grabs

Local store pickups from this week, plus Fiona PIF I won from a hat drawing courtesy of @kburleypdx

Destijl XX is pure dumb luck on my part. Never thought I'd see a copy in the wild. There should be a term that is on the other end of the spectrum from FOMO, where you fully expect to miss out, completely accept that fact, yet somehow still get it without any effort.

The Khruangbin live boot from a YouTube rip sounds really good. It certainly spanks the TTL Exclusivo of Mordechai in audio quality.

20200807_204601.jpg

Grabs over the last week.
Yp8wRpl.jpg

Found all these at a Flea Market,.

is that where youve been all the time?
i think i havent seen you on here for a while! welcome back!?

A few stellar pick-ups from todays carboot, plus a delayed birthday gift, a fantastic 2lp set, and some books.

Grant Green - Slick! - Live at Oil Can Harry’s (Resonance Records, 2018 Limited Pressing)
Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight (Blue Note, 2020 BN80 Pressing)
Vinyl Freak: Love Letters to a Dying Medium by John Corbett with Limited Sun Ra Flexidisc (Duke University Press, 2017, 260 Pages)
Downbeat Jazz Record Reviews Vol 3 (Downbeat, 1959, 226 pages)

The Grant Green is one I have been hunting down for a while. Resonance Records are fantastic and this 2lp set looks great. Art Taylor was a present which arrived slightly after my birthday, but that's not an issue and I can't wait to spin it. I mentioned on the Jazz & Blue Note threads that I have been trying to collect all volumes of the Downbeat Jazz Record Reviews but they tend to be quite allusive. I stumbled across a second copy of vol 3 (I thought I had the 4th vol and didn't realise I was doubling up) for a price cheaper than new books cost so I had to grab it. At the same time, I saw this 'Vinyl Freak' book which looks at out of print records which were never released on CD, it also includes a limited flexi disc of a Sun Ra recording (which rather crazily sold for £70 on its own through Discogs).

IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG

Count Basie And His Orchestra - Basie's Best (Brunswick, 1953 First Mono 10")
Fats Waller - Young Fats Waller - Early Piano Solos (His Master's Voice, 1956 First Mono 10")
"Fats" Waller And His Rhythm - "Fats" Waller Plays And Sings (His Master's Voice, 1954 First Mono 10")
Erskine Hawkins / Charlie Barnet / Bud Freeman - Vol. 34 (Curcio, 1981 Compilation)

We went to the carboot sale again today and picked up a small assortment of records. Nothing too fancy here, but I always find that the Curcio releases are absolute hidden gems at fantastic prices (this cost me 50p and I believe these are previously unreleased live sessions). I got a kick out of the Count Basie liner notes which open ups with "Probably the most outstanding new artist...".

IMG_0809.JPG

A few stellar pick-ups from todays carboot, plus a delayed birthday gift, a fantastic 2lp set, and some books.

Grant Green - Slick! - Live at Oil Can Harry’s (Resonance Records, 2018 Limited Pressing)
Art Taylor - A.T.'s Delight (Blue Note, 2020 BN80 Pressing)
Vinyl Freak: Love Letters to a Dying Medium by John Corbett with Limited Sun Ra Flexidisc (Duke University Press, 2017, 260 Pages)
Downbeat Jazz Record Reviews Vol 3 (Downbeat, 1959, 226 pages)

The Grant Green is one I have been hunting down for a while. Resonance Records are fantastic and this 2lp set looks great. Art Taylor was a present which arrived slightly after my birthday, but that's not an issue and I can't wait to spin it. I mentioned on the Jazz & Blue Note threads that I have been trying to collect all volumes of the Downbeat Jazz Record Reviews but they tend to be quite allusive. I stumbled across a second copy of vol 3 (I thought I had the 4th vol and didn't realise I was doubling up) for a price cheaper than new books cost so I had to grab it. At the same time, I saw this 'Vinyl Freak' book which looks at out of print records which were never released on CD, it also includes a limited flexi disc of a Sun Ra recording (which rather crazily sold for £70 on its own through Discogs).

View attachment 60576
View attachment 60578

Count Basie And His Orchestra - Basie's Best (Brunswick, 1953 First Mono 10")
Fats Waller - Young Fats Waller - Early Piano Solos (His Master's Voice, 1956 First Mono 10")
"Fats" Waller And His Rhythm - "Fats" Waller Plays And Sings (His Master's Voice, 1954 First Mono 10")
Erskine Hawkins / Charlie Barnet / Bud Freeman - Vol. 34 (Curcio, 1981 Compilation)

We went to the carboot sale again today and picked up a small assortment of records. Nothing too fancy here, but I always find that the Curcio releases are absolute hidden gems at fantastic prices (this cost me 50p and I believe these are previously unreleased live sessions). I got a kick out of the Count Basie liner notes which open ups with "Probably the most outstanding new artist...".

View attachment 60577
Nice pickup with the Grant Green. I've been after that title as well, but I thought I read on discogs some copies had issues, like people received two records of sides A/B and didn't get the 2nd record.

Nice pickup with the Grant Green. I've been after that title as well, but I thought I read on discogs some copies had issues, like people received two records of sides A/B and didn't get the 2nd record.
Funny you should say that as I had the same issue with Bill Evans - Evans In England. They recently found a box of undistributed promo copies and I managed to swoop in and get one, but when it arrived it had the C/D side twice. Luckily they have a replacement but are having to wait for USPS to ship internationally again.

The Grant Green one was bought second hand, with the seller stating they only played it a couple of times so I was able to see that everything was ok with it.

Barnes and Nobles got me again, albeit not nearly as bad as last time. Probably because this one didn't label all their clearance that way. The Lee Ann Womack was a blind buy inspired by @Lee Newman and @Twentytwo, the fact that it was signed and discounted more than the label was unnoticed until I got home.

The other three I know I'll dig.

IMG_20200808_145845.jpg

Barnes and Nobles got me again, albeit not nearly as bad as last time. Probably because this one didn't label all their clearance that way. The Lee Ann Womack was a blind buy inspired by @Lee Newman and @Twentytwo, the fact that it was signed and discounted more than the label was unnoticed until I got home.

The other three I know I'll dig.

View attachment 60640
Based on the two I have, I think should probably check out the Alessia Cara and Con X...

Back