Fresh Grabs

Hinds -- The Prettiest Curse -- blue wax

I have the first two HInds albums and a couple of 7"s and every once in a while I throw them on to see if I should finally get rid of them, but I always end up putting them back in the stacks. This new album is different. This is (almost) the album I wanted in the first place. The awkward, skeletal, amateurishness is (almost) gone. The first half, especially, is very catchy, a summer album for sure.

Vis-à-Vis - Obaa Mansah
Balla et Ses Balladins
Orchestre Black Santiago - Abalo
Angelique Kidjo - Celia
44th Move

I went on my first foreign trip for ages yesterday and arrived back to find this fabulous haul. Totally wonderful releases from Ghana, Guinea and Benin, plus what feels like a companion piece to Remain In The Light for Angelique Kidjo (and is just as good, featuring Tony Allen on drums) and yet another amazing record from the UK jazz scene.

20200611_093053.jpg

Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - Avotche Voun & Houilivou
Gnonnas Pedro - Mi Gnonnou Le

These brilliant 7s also turned up - all super rare, had to amend two of them on Discogs. My first Gnonnas Pedro single; I rather fear this is a slippery slope like many other slippery slopes I've taken...

20200611_092855.jpg

Some killer albums (plus an unexpected one) arrived today.

John Coltrane - Anthology (Impulse!, 1974 Japan-only Box Set)
I have had this on my wantlist for ages and happen to see a fantastic looking copy on eBay. I placed a bid for less than its lowest sale price on Discogs and, unbelievably, ended up winning it. Its in stellar shape, usually these older boxes have a lot of damage but this is absolutely fantastic. The records have obviously been well looked after as well, no marks and housed in some decent inners. Also comes with a booklet which, ounderstandably, is mostly in Japanese apart from a 'scanned' letter from the president of Impulse!

IMG_7942.JPG

Archie Shepp & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Looking At Bird (Steeplechase, 1981 First US Pressing)
J. Cole - KOD (Dreamville, 2020 Limited Pink Pressing with Alternative Cover Art)

Another one I have been keeping an eye out for. The more I listen to Steeplechase records the more its becoming one of my favourite labels. Pretty affordable records as well, and the music is more than worth it. The J Cole is a funny one as I never actually expected or ordered it. Back in 2018 he released a signed pre-order copy of KOD but massive delays meant that people have only just now recieved copies of it. I cancelled my order just under 2 years ago and got a full refund, however regardless if you cancelled or not they sent out these free limited copies as an apology.
IMG_7941.JPG

My friend bought me Eminem Music To Be Murdered By Red/Black Splatter version its excellent 👌🏼🔥 you can see it top row and also the same friend (we only know each other through Instagram about 6 years now and we both love hiphop) is moving apartments and I helped him today shift some Kallax in my van. He also gave me all of this in a big bag today including a mint OG copy of Ice Cube The Predator 😮 whatta guy 🙌🏼
20200611_190424.jpg

My friend bought me Eminem Music To Be Murdered By Red/Black Splatter version its excellent 👌🏼🔥 you can see it top row and also the same friend (we only know each other through Instagram about 6 years now and we both love hiphop) is moving apartments and I helped him today shift some Kallax in my van. He also gave me all of this in a big bag today including a mint OG copy of Ice Cube The Predator 😮 whatta guy 🙌🏼
View attachment 51482
Damn, I need better friends!

JNR329_LP-C1-neon-magenta_grande.jpg

This just showed up today. The lady from Eerie Wanda backed by members of Best Coast, Swans and Melvins? Yes, please! THIS IS GREAT!

BTW: It sounds like MBV if you could hear the vocals. Kinda. And then it starts to sound like Sebadoh after a while.

Last edited:
Fresh deliveries with two Blue Note 80th reissues, two Kendra Morris including our beautiful AoTM, three J-Jazz records shipped from Tokyo, replacement copies from VMP and the (veeeeeery) long awaited 2019 membership guft from Cherry Tree/The National club.

View attachment 51495
View attachment 51499
View attachment 51496
View attachment 51497
It finally arrived! haha. I keep seeing if The National might post more copies of vol 2 on their website every once in awhile...i'm hoping that they add some right before vol 3 comes out.

Back