Fresh Grabs

I picked up 4 packages this weekend at my Packstation. I'm taking my time to unpack them all and preview them. Here's the first one thats the result of me lowballing the eBay seller and having them accept. Realising the strategy was successful I proceeded to go even lower each time on the next item and he accepted 6 more times. The sleeves are a bit beat up in some cases but the media is EX or better. I'm pretty happy for the 35€ including shipping I spent

Florian Poser - Lifeline and Lifeline 2 (i.e. Linie 2)
IMG_20200607_194536.jpg

Florian Poser is a German Vibraphone/Marimba player and his album "Winds" has a bit of a cult status among crate diggers in Germany. Lifeline doesn't go for as much but I still think it's a really groovy and funky album. Typical 80s Jazz-Rock / Fusion. The second one isn't as popular but for 2 € I figured I might as well pick it up.

Kenny Wheeler - Gnu High
Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy - I Only Have Eyes For You
Ralph Towner - Solstice
Terje Rypdal - Whenever I Seem To Be Far Away
IMG_20200607_194650.jpg
IMG_20200607_194619.jpg

I love most of what I listen to from ECM so I always have an eye out for their releases. Their German pressings from that era are also great value and easy to find here - I think all of these are pressed at Pallas. The Lester Bowie and Ralph Towner consistently make the best of ECM lists. Kenny Wheeler is a Canadian so felt a slight patriotic urge to pick this up - I think the artwork is great as well. Terje Rypdal will blow your socks off, love his style.

Freddie Hubbard - Polar AC
IMG_20200607_194701.jpg
I love almost everything I listen to that Freddie's on. I think this album is sort of one of those that were targetted towards a mainstream audience but it's a real soulful and funky set of songs. This one is a Japanese press.

For those interested in Florian Poser check this out:

Got a shipping notice for this bad boy in March and it’s finally here today!!

It spent a solid two months in Chicago on vacation

06ECBC5A-5F41-43EC-A6A2-58A532AE5D8A.jpeg

I did order a shirt too, which is the album artwork in an XL. I don’t remember when I placed the order but at the time I was an XL. It took so long arriving I could have used an L because the XL is too big for me now.

Going through the other packages that arrived this weekend:

Ahmad Jamal Trio - The Awakening
Major Surgery - The First Cut
IMG_20200609_092126.jpg
@Mr Moore had posted the Major Surgery here in fresh grabs and the artwork caught my eye..after reading the background behind the release I thought it was a really cool thing to have. The music is fun and I really enjoyed reading the liner notes. Turns out they sent me 100/100.
IMG_20200609_092138.jpg
Since I was buying this from Juno I also added on the BeWithRecords release of The Awakening. I thought for the longest time this was a bootleg but seems like they've taken great care with the release of this legendary album.

Wayne Shorter - ETC
Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-A-Ling
Grant Green - Born to be blue
Shake Stew - Gris Gris
IMG_20200609_092233.jpg
IMG_20200609_092247.jpg

The German Best Buy ,i.e. Media Markt had 25% off all vinyl so it was a good opportunity to buy some BN stuff. I think these TP's came to 23€ each.

Also the newest album from Austria's Shake Stew is really awesome. They had Shabaka guesting on the first one but they've really grown since that one. It's a nice blend of Jazz and Afrobeat.

Herbie Hancock - Mr. Hands
IMG_20200609_092309.jpg
Finally have my hands on Mr. Hands. It spent almost a month in transit. At least it has shown up without damages.

Going through the other packages that arrived this weekend:

Ahmad Jamal Trio - The Awakening
Major Surgery - The First Cut
View attachment 51028
@Mr Moore had posted the Major Surgery here in fresh grabs and the artwork caught my eye..after reading the background behind the release I thought it was a really cool thing to have. The music is fun and I really enjoyed reading the liner notes. Turns out they sent me 100/100.
View attachment 51029
Since I was buying this from Juno I also added on the BeWithRecords release of The Awakening. I thought for the longest time this was a bootleg but seems like they've taken great care with the release of this legendary album.

Wayne Shorter - ETC
Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-A-Ling
Grant Green - Born to be blue
Shake Stew - Gris Gris
View attachment 51030
View attachment 51031

The German Best Buy ,i.e. Media Markt had 25% off all vinyl so it was a good opportunity to buy some BN stuff. I think these TP's came to 23€ each.

Also the newest album from Austria's Shake Stew is really awesome. They had Shabaka guesting on the first one but they've really grown since that one. It's a nice blend of Jazz and Afrobeat.

Herbie Hancock - Mr. Hands
View attachment 51032
Finally have my hands on Mr. Hands. It spent almost a month in transit. At least it has shown up without damages.

Great deal on these TP records.

Found a local church thrift store yesterday, and picked these up. The price? 5 SEK each (that's about 50 cent each....). So a grand total of $7.50 for 15 records. All of them in great condition, except for some sleeve wear on a few of them. McPhatter, O.V Wright and Peoria Jazz Band alone goes for about $20 each on Discogs...so I'd call this a bargain if there even was one. :cool:
20200609_105051.jpg

Found a local church thrift store yesterday, and picked these up. The price? 5 SEK each (that's about 50 cent each....). So a grand total of $7.50 for 15 records. All of them in great condition, except for some sleeve wear on a few of them. McPhatter, O.V Wright and Peoria Jazz Band alone goes for about $20 each on Discogs...so I'd call this a bargain if there even was one. :cool:
View attachment 51033
I'd say...I think I spent close to $40 on Avalon Sunset at some point

I'd say...I think I spent close to $40 on Avalon Sunset at some point

Yeah it cost me about €20 I think.

Oh, didn't know that one was so expensive. But checking on Discogs now, and it rarely drops under 15 bucks so that was a surprise. Not among Vans finest imo, but still fun to have in the collection..

I actually really like it. If you can get past the god bothering its a really solid set of songs. It does have a lot of nostalgia for me though, I remember my dad playing it loads back when it first came out!

Yeah it cost me about €20 I think.

I actually really like it. If you can get past the god bothering its a really solid set of songs. It does have a lot of nostalgia for me though, I remember my dad playing it loads back when it first came out!
It's not bad, but the production is just too much 80s fluff to be taken seriously imo.

I got a feeling that the thrift store had gotten a donation from a serious music fan. A neighbour of mine was there just before me and picked up some great jazz, blues and 60s pop/rock (Some Miles, some Lee Morgan, some Stones and an og of Blossom Dearie among them). And today when I got back they had some Beatles, Elvis and Bob Marley, although they were marked up a quite a bit in price.

Back