Fresh Grabs

Had a few great deliveries this week and some fantastically killer deals!

The Roy Eldridge Quintet - The Roy Eldridge Quintet (Clef Records, 1954 First 10" Pressing)
Tenderlonious - The Piccolo - Tender Plays Tubby (Jazz Detective Records, 2020 First Limited Signed Pressing with Exclusive Art Print)
J.J. Johnson, Kai Winding - Jay & Kai (Esquire, 1955 First UK Mono 10" Pressing)

A couple of fantastic 10" records I picked up super super cheap (although the Jay & Kai sleeve has seen better days!). The Tenderlonious Plays Tubby Hayes is a superb album. Tenderlonious learnt that amongst the late British saxophonists collection of instruments was a piccolo and after talking to the owner of the estate he gained access to it and was allowed to play it on this album, dedicated to Tubby and using his original compositions. This copy is one of the first 200 and signed by Tenderlonious with an exclusive photo/art print. Really excited to listen to this in its entirety!

IMG_7706.JPG

Ernie Wilkins - Top Brass Featuring Five Trumpets (London/Savoy Records, 1956 First UK Mono Pressing)
Hank Jones ‎– Quartet-Quintet (London/Savoy Records, 1956 First UK Mono Pressing)
Sonny Rollins - Our Man In Jazz (RCA Victor, 1963 First UK Pressing)

I have long been a fan of Savoy Records and think they are up there amongst the best jazz labels. These 2 (the Hank Jones & Ernie Wilkins) are on the UK London Records subsidiary of Savoy and are absolutely killer sessions, with Donald Byrd (on both), Hank Jones (on both), Wendell Marshall, Kenny Clarke, etc. 'Our Man In Jazz' sees Rollins team up with Don Cherry. Rollins was always a better live performer compared with a session player, and this was recorded live at Village Gate, Greenwich Village, New York City.

IMG_7704.JPG

Pepper Adams - Julian (Enja, 1976 First Pressing)
Jackie McLean Quartet - Dr. Jackle (Steeplechase, 1979 First Pressing)
The Jazz Messengers Featuring Art Blakey - Ritual (1957/58 Mono....Mystery Pressing???)

I first properly appreciated Pepper Adams on a Donald Byrd record and was blown away. Enja have some absolutely killer releases and when I saw this for £5 I just had to have it! Steeplechase is another favourite label of mine. In the late 1960's and 1970's a lot of jazz musicians emigrated to Europe to avoid racism and to perform for an audience that really appreciated them as musicians. Steeplechase was founded by a Danish student who began to record live sessions at the Jazzhus Montmartre (cafe), where many of these expats would perform. He then built it into a successful label and had some of the biggest names in jazz record for them. They are truly underappreciated gems in my opinion. This minty copy by Jackie McLean cost just £10 and I have 2 more on their way to me (one by McLean which was the first Steeplechase release). This pressing of 'Ritual' by Art Blakey (again, featuring Jackie McLean) is a complete mystery to me. It has 'Bonus Record. Not For Sale' stamped on the back of the sleeve. The sleeve is the exact same as the first pressing and so are the etching in the deadwax and it has the deep groove, but the label is not the Pacific Jazz red, but the World Pacific Jazz blue label. I believe this might be a first pressing but with a mystery second pressing label (which I cant find online)? What I do know is Columbia 'traded' Art Blakey for one session in exchange for one session with Chet Baker, which is very cool IMO! If anyone has any idea about this pressing please let me know, it would be much appreciated!

IMG_7705.JPG

Thirsty Thursday Fresh Grabs
05A9DBC3-AD0E-43D2-AC3A-EDEE8A45AE8E.jpeg
Aesop Rock - Skelethon
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America
Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin’
Tortoise - TNT
Gastr Del Sol - Camoufleur

These latest adds are a bit of a grab bag... First up Skelethon which had been out of print but Rhymsayer just repressed along with Impossible Kid (I already have Impossible Kid though). This is on red wax. Next is the “free” Five Leaves Left Boxset that UDiscover Music has been dropping. Followed by my favorite Hold Steady LP it is the 2015 RSD Purple wax edition. I have been eyeing the recent Tone Poet price drops on Amazon and finally pulled the trigger on Hustlin’. Been a fan of Tortoise for quite some time but only had Standards one wax. Thanks to @sjaygray ‘s N&G ROTM pick, I finally had the push I needed to add another one of their great LPs to the collection. Lastly, speaking of Tortoise, Gastr Del Soul teams up two of my favorite (at the time) Chicago based musicians, Tortoise drummer John McEntire and guitar wizard Jim O’Rourke. Good week but it should be a great month as quite a few June pre-orders should be shipping out shortly. lotsa fun music to look forward to.

Last edited:
Thirsty Thursday Fresh Grabs
View attachment 50524
Aesop Rock - Skelethon
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America
Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin’
Tortoise - TNT
Gastr Del Sol - Camoufleur

These latest adds are a bit of a grab bag... First up Skelethon which had been out of print but Rhymsayer just repressed along with Impossible Kid (I already have Impossible Kid though). This is on red wax. Next is the “free” Five Leaves Left Boxset that UDiscover Music has been dropping. Followed by my favorite Hold Steady LP it is the 2015 RSD Purple wax edition. I have been eyeing the recent Tone Poet price drops on Amazon and finally pulled the trigger on Hustlin’. Been a fan of Tortoise for quite some time but only had Standards one wax. Thanks to @sjaygray ‘s N&G ROTM pick, I finally had the push I needed to add another one of their great LPs to the collection. Lastly, speaking of Tortoise, Gastr Del Soul teams up two of my favorite (at the time) Chicago based musicians, Tortoise drummer John McEntire and guitar wizard Jim O’Rourke. Good week but it should be a great month as quite a few June pre-orders should be shipping out shortly. lotsa fun music to look forward to.
What’s this “free” nick drake set about?

Back