Fresh Grabs

Some more fresh Jazz grabs lately:

IMG_20200519_132030.jpg
Donald Byrd - Street Lady
This one is the most recent french pressing on green wax with a gatefold cover that has the full picture of the lady on the front cover. The album is really funky and fun.

IMG_20200525_094013.jpg
Couldn't resist grabbing the coloured pressing of Richard Spaven's 5ive from Vinyl-Digital. Also managed to get the Sonny Sharrock album from Honest Jon's which I've wanted for a while. Shout out to both these shops that really know how to pack and ship vinyl carefully.

IMG_20200525_094039.jpg
Soul Is..Pretty Purdie
People seem to rave about this tidal waves record day pressing theb last year and say it was among the best. I streamed the music and liked it then but had other spending priorities on that day. Glad to have it now!

Some cheap grabs at the local, all masked up.

Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Wise Guy
Kid Creole and the Coconuts - Doppelganger
Garland Jeffreys - Escape Artist
Miles Kurosky - The Desert of Shallow Effects
Jason and the Scorchers - Fervor
Jason and the Scorchers - Lost & Found

C29D4089-084C-4F53-A15D-5D85938AA71A.jpeg

🎊

Brilliant record day today and a wonderful setup for tomorrow 💙. The two packs of Mofi inners arrived three weeks earlier than expected so, with tomorrow being free and the below (plus the rest of my uncleaned collection), can enjoy another full day of cleaning and spinning new records 💪🔎💎. Absolute bliss! Love these things so much and feels great to slip a freshly cleaned and spun record into one.

Now onto the goodies 📦🍿. Two thirds of my "VMP Catch-up" order arrived today from that sale a month ago! For all their faults have to commend VMP on the packaging this time, came in a box tightly packed with two wraps of very thick bubble wrap. Everything looks mint so far bar a minor ding on Loretta Lynn, which I can excuse.

--

Starting off we have Waiting for Little Milton by Little Milton. Saw this in the sale and played a couple of tracks of it that sounded amazing so here it is, very excited for this one. I was really impressed by the other Aretha record I got from VMP so have followed it up with Aretha Now by Aretha Franklin. She's a favourite of my partner so, in addition to being one I wanted anyway, was a useful distraction from the volume of records around it 👀😄

20200526_142836-01yeknz.jpeg

Aside from a brief period of being into Iggy Pop in my late teens I really have very little exposure to The Stooges. The Stooges by The Stooges by VMP was a well received record and thought it would be a nice addition to the collection even if it ends up being more of a niche itch to scratch! 🎸

Africa Brasil by Jorge Ben is completely new, as is Jorge Ben as a whole to me. I only listened to brief snippets of it and it sounded far more raw and direct than I was expecting in my head. Part of all of this is pushing the boat out a bit on my musical experience and getting out of the comfort zone. These two are further continuations on this line of thought, and I'm looking forward to giving them each their time 🙌

20200526_142425-018kkrs.jpeg

Going back to a little more comfort but still someone I haven't given much time as a whole; we have Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks. Gorgeous design on this one and very pleased to finally have it in my hands to play soon. Saints and Sebastian Stories by Konradsen was a pick that came out of wondering what I should swap to after the swap exclusives bungle last month. Playing a few tracks from various artists my partner and I were hit by the opening couple of tracks to this. It was cheaper ($17) in the store so I added it to the order 🛒🛍

20200526_142553-017zkli.jpeg

I liked one of the Youth Lagoon releases awhile ago and it caught my eye that this is what he was going by now. The packaging and variant looked absolute 🔥 and it was cheap in the sale so I needed little more excuse to grab and check out Mulberry Violence by Trevor Powers. Similar to Konradsen above, Jackie Cohen was another I was checking out at the time and again the first couple of tracks hit the right notes. So here we also have Tacoma Night Terror by Jackie Cohen.

20200526_143507-01obk8q.jpeg

I needed something a little more earthly and homely in the collection and not having much experience within Country music either I thought these sounded like they would make for great additions 🌳 Similar to a lot of the other genres I can say similar for I've always liked it when I've caught it but never pursued it actively. So we'll start with Our Mother The Mountain by Townes Van Zandt and Fist City by Loretta Lynn and see where they take me!

20200526_143338-01brkw5.jpeg

Finally we have Very Necessary by Salt N' Pepa, an outstanding item from my other subscription and one I'm welcome to see after reading positive things from people that have spun it. Not what I would have picked were it not for VMP but when life gives you limes make a Mojito right? After that we have the soundtrack to First Man by Justin Herwitz. I love this film, I love that cover art and I love the concept of the record itself having Earth as the label and silver/grey for the space around it 👩‍🚀🚀. Pressing reviews are heavily mixed which I knew beforehand so this is more a design piece than a specifically audio one. We'll see when it gets spun, but in either case I'm happy to have it in the collection!

20200526_143741-01uekbt.jpeg

Tomorrow is going to be a cracking day. So much to clean and listen to, can't wait! 🎂💛

Alemayehu Eshete - Temeheret Bete
Mahmoud Ahmed - Wubetuan Alisma
Ayalew Mesfin - Wubeet

A trio of Ethiopian OGs featuring my three favourite singers to buy (Mulatu Astatke is out of my price league for OGs) on the three main Ethiopian labels, Kaifa, Philips and Amha. All look to be in good nick and it's so hard to find Ethiopian 7s in the wild that the Eshete is currently on Discogs for €300 (I picked it up for £13.50). Sweet...

20200526_193554.jpg

C2E734BF-BBC7-43AB-BE4D-E53C00894303.jpeg
1) New 1975 from website preorder.
2) Original US SP Pressing Zevon’s 1st LP.
3) 1982 Japanese Talking Heads. I didn’t need another copy of this but it is in like new condition, I don’t have this version, it wasn’t to expensive on sale, and I was already paying shipping on Warren Z. :).

An embarrassment of riches:
I went to the record store:
808C7C4E-4C15-46B1-B8C0-580990DC90EC.jpeg
Then when I got home, got this here cogs order (the chicken comp has a song with Fiona w/ Punch Brothers, the forty five is Prince - Delirious/Horny Toad... random packed records on Cogs Random day in the challenge thread):
92E2268A-4C69-43ED-81B6-A3B577E72CE6.jpeg
The new record by an N&G ROTM aluminum (paging @Teeeee ):
ABB8FD3E-8506-481E-ACAA-6D2A0E585AED.jpeg
and the next N&G ROTM:
58B32EBB-E402-4297-981C-119DB01D275A.jpeg

An embarrassment of riches:
I went to the record store:
View attachment 49067
Then when I got home, got this here cogs order (the chicken comp has a song with Fiona w/ Punch Brothers, the forty five is Prince - Delirious/Horny Toad... random packed records on Cogs Random day in the challenge thread):
View attachment 49068
The new record by an N&G ROTM aluminum (paging @Teeeee ):
View attachment 49069
and the next N&G ROTM:
View attachment 49070
YES!!!! Let us know how you dig the new Nicole. :)

Some real firey jazz OG's arrived today. The first, Yusef Lateef, took 1 month and 13 days to arrive from the USA. The other 2, Freddie Redd & Grant Green, also came from the USA......and took 8 days!!!

Yusef Lateef - Jazz Mood (Savoy Records, 1957 First Mono Pressing)
Grant Green - Talkin' About (Blue Note, 1965 First Mono Pressing)
Freddie Redd Quartet With Jackie McLean - The Music From "The Connection" (Blue Note, 1960 First Mono Signed Pressing)

I have slowly been building up my collection of OG Yusef Lateef records over the years. I personally think he's a jazz musician like no other, and his unique sound is just fantastic. His work with Savoy Records is certainly his best but unfortunately, these hardly ever appear in the wild and when they do they are in poor shape or super-pricey. Whilst the cover of this copy has old tape around the edges, the record itself is in amazing shape and sounds like a dream (Savoy records then to be pretty forgiving anyway). Grant Green records have absolutely skyrocketed in value over the past few years, I recently finished reading the biography written by his daughter-in-law and she couldn't find any public information on him when she researched him in the mid 1990's as he just wasn't popular at all. 'Talkin' About' is arguably one of his best and includes killer performances by Larry Young on the organ. Finally, we have Freddie Redd Quartet With Jackie McLean which is extra special as it is signed by Freddie himself. McLean and Redd both play like their lives depend on it here, and their interplay is just breathtaking. The 2 Blue Notes were purchased from the USA after a fellow Instagram(mer? Poster? User?) was looking to raise funds for an operation for his dog. I have been chatting to him on and off for a year-ish now (I post every day so tend to see and chat to the same people) and when I saw these 2 I sent him a few messages, we started chatting, and he gave me a great price with great postage! Super fantastic day today!

IMG_7430.JPG
IMG_7424.jpg

Back