Fresh Grabs

Some new bits from the last few weeks:

A delivery from NoBusiness Records. Still waiting on some that seem to be stuck between Lithuania and here.

View attachment 48311
View attachment 48313
View attachment 48312

A Lloyd Miller reissue from one of my favourite boutique labels in Italy. The quality of the packaging for these is outstanding.

View attachment 48314

The Muriel Grossman compilation that Jazzman just put out. I wish they’d just released the two albums these tracks are taken from on vinyl but hey ho.

View attachment 48315

And this one is interesting. It’s an English jazzy progy rocky affair from ‘77. The artist has found 100 old stock in his attic or somewhere and released them with a numbered and signed certificate. Gutting for the person who paid £110 on Discogs for one last August.

View attachment 48316

Going to pick up that Major Surgery for sure. Where did you end up getting it?

Also I've been previewing a lot from that Lithuanian label and think it's fantastic. I'm going to get the Tribal Ghost - do you have any recommendations for others that would be similar from that label?

Going to pick up that Major Surgery for sure. Where did you end up getting it?

Also I've been previewing a lot from that Lithuanian label and think it's fantastic. I'm going to get the Tribal Ghost - do you have any recommendations for others that would be similar from that label?

I grabbed Major Surgery off Amazon UK believe it or not. It was a few quid cheaper than elsewhere. Proper Music also has it for a bit cheaper even. Not sure what their shipping costs are like in comparison though.

As for NoBusiness, they're pretty new to me. I sampled a whole bunch that they have available in their discogs store and tbh, most of them are the kind of stuff I'd listen too. I'm still waiting on Correction with Mats Gustaffson, The Group Live, Wadada Leo Smith & Sabu Toyozumi and Arthur Williams all of which sound great from the samples I tried. Don't be tempted by the Joe McPhee Creole Suite though. I'm a dick and accidentally ordered two so if the second one ever turns up, I'll send it you once I'm comfortable going to the post office again.

I grabbed Major Surgery off Amazon UK believe it or not. It was a few quid cheaper than elsewhere. Proper Music also has it for a bit cheaper even. Not sure what their shipping costs are like in comparison though.

As for NoBusiness, they're pretty new to me. I sampled a whole bunch that they have available in their discogs store and tbh, most of them are the kind of stuff I'd listen too. I'm still waiting on Correction with Mats Gustaffson, The Group Live, Wadada Leo Smith & Sabu Toyozumi and Arthur Williams all of which sound great from the samples I tried. Don't be tempted by the Joe McPhee Creole Suite though. I'm a dick and accidentally ordered two so if the second one ever turns up, I'll send it you once I'm comfortable going to the post office again.

Creole Suite might be a bit too wild for me, at least from what I was previewing but that's pretty nice of you to offer. I'll give it an honest listen and could let you know if it's really for me when the time comes.

What I found really mesmerizing was the Trio X performances they have on the website. Too bad that one is out of print already. Anyway think it's a really good set of music this label is curating.

Think I'm going to go with Juno for major surgery.

They are releasing 3 10” singles this year for their 30th anniversary. 2 originals and 1 cover on each. This is the first, and the other 2 have yet to be recorded.

I got this from Rough Trade in the UK, but I’m sure you’ll be able to get it from their store. It’s good; they’re last couple of releases have been great, and this is up there.

I streamed the Doobie Brothers cover. It’s outrageous! I love it.

Creole Suite might be a bit too wild for me, at least from what I was previewing but that's pretty nice of you to offer. I'll give it an honest listen and could let you know if it's really for me when the time comes.

What I found really mesmerizing was the Trio X performances they have on the website. Too bad that one is out of print already. Anyway think it's a really good set of music this label is curating.

Think I'm going to go with Juno for major surgery.

Have you ever heard of No Business Records? There are ±130 Free-Jazz album available on CD and/or LP from all over the world.

NoBusiness Records - An Eternal Moment with Midori Takada
NoBusiness Records - Banka with Kaoru Abe

Some really nice Japanese Jazz if you want to "save" on shipping ;) @NoTrend suggested a few others records from the label.

This one is finally home! Order placed on April 8th and shipped on April 15th from the Netherlands. On April 25th, my shipment status says I refused the parcel... The delivery never showed up. Parcel was sent back to Netherlands. On May 15th, the seller received the returned parcel and shipped it back again to me. Today, May 23rd it arrived in perfect condition.

It's Japanese pianist Toshiko Akiyoshi's first album Amazing Toshiko Akiyoshi. Originaly released as a 10'' album in 1954 on Norgran Records, this version is the first Japanese press, released in 1976 on Verve (who absorbed Norgran in 1956) and the only one repress to date.

1590258707121.png

Thats Sarah Shook and The Devil is on my wantlist. Love her.

Looks like it still up on Bloodshot for $17 plus shipping. I should get it on the turntable today or tomorrow. I’ll post if my pressing has any issues.

Back