Fresh Grabs

Fresh WFH Grabs
D80850EE-9458-4671-9424-9D6F5A37D91A.jpeg
De La Soul - The Grind Date
Beachwood Sparks - Once We Were Trees

Just a couple new ones this week, ordered both from my local record shop’s web store at about 5:00 PM and they were in my mail box the next day. I have had my eye on The Grind Date since it was reissued felt like a good time to pull the trigger. I have always been fond of The Beachwood Sparks, They never made it as big as I thought they would but I always enjoyed their sunny California Country Rock throwback vibe and their cover of Sade’s “By Your Side” is almost as good as the original.

Last edited:
Was given some cash for my Bday and decided to go for this. I didnt own any of their albums on vinyl yet so worked out well. I'm really happy with it but if I'm honest I'm definitely more of a Will.I.Am fan than BEP overall. I think his production is excellent and he is often overlooked for this, just check out some of the beats he has produced for other artists if your unsure. Compton for The Game always comes to mind, American Boy Estelle/Kanye another one which started off as an instrumental called Impatient on his own solo album Songs About Girls which I need to chase down on vinyl too. Anyway there is a download code there for all 6 BEP albums (7th not on official vinyl yet) if anyone wants it just let us all know if you availed so people aren't wasting their time 👌🏼
View attachment 38713View attachment 38714View attachment 38715View attachment 38716
Nice! I love BEP! "The End" is one of my top guilty pleasure albums.

Haven’t really. I grabbed some MoFi inner sleeves from a Stereoland shop in Eden Prairie but that was before last Friday’s orders.

Besides that haven’t had any records come in or purchased. Well, besides the Idle Moments and Maiden Voyage SRX’s yesterday.

Are any shops doing online ordering? I don’t believe Mill City is, but then again I never explicitly asked.
On the St. Paul side Hymie's website said that Adam was taking phone orders (no online store/Discogs yet).

Eclipse is closed up.

Was thinking of giving Argahta (already on Discogs) and Barely Bros a call tomorrow just to see how they're doing.

Ranil y su Conjunto Tropical
Alfa Mist - On My Ones
Super Mama Djombo - Na Cambança

The mail is still getting through so are these vital records - the great new one from Analog Africa, solo album by jazz pianist, and perhaps the finest album ever from Guinea-Bissau.

20200401_133600.jpg

Last edited:
Fresh Bonus Grabs
43D36CEF-1379-4D8E-A35E-3468269666E0.jpeg
Pavement - Live Europaturnén MCMXCVII
Pavement - Brighten The Corners: Nicene Creedence Edition
Donald Byrd - Places And Spaces TTL Exclusivo Edition

The Pavement LPs have been on my list for some time now. The Brighten The Corners is a 4LP set that comes with a 16 page booklet and it’s a beaut. It was pressed at RTI and looks like it is in NM condition wise. I have a well worn (ie beaten as fuck) copy of Places & Spaces. I think this repress will likely sound a bit better.

Pickups from the first quarter of this year. I was originally going to stick to 40 records or less for the year, but circumstances around the world have changed since my original self-imposed proclamation. Now making plans to helping out independent stores both local and across the nation when possible, especially if deals are available. I will most likely start updating monthly, so long as I continue to have sustainable employment and resources. It's the least I can do to help.
Now, on to the actual content...

Ambient pickups:

Laraaji - Ambient 3: Day of Radiance
Gaussian Curve - The Distance
Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of
Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage [signed]
Visible Cloaks - Serenitatem [signed]

20200402_000817.jpg

Finding a good condition copy of the 2015 Laraaji reissue at Plastique took me by surprise. Sounds great too, despite a nearly 27 minute runtime on side B.
Furthering my MFM collection with the missing Gaussian Curve entry. Just as good as Clouds, even if I prefer it more.
A classical ambient void has been filled with SotL. And Their Refinement of the Decline is next on my radar.
Got to see Visible Cloaks early in March (which could potentially be my last concert of the year :( ) and bought these two at the merch table. Spencer and Ryan, the duo behind the group name, signed my copies of the records along with another I brought from home. Happy to support Portland musicians!

Current year pickups:

Bonny Light Horseman - Bonny Light Horseman [Rough Trade Exclusive, signed]
Caribou - Suddenly [Rough Trade exclusive]
Deserta - Black Aura My Sun [signed]
Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

20200402_001518.jpg

Enjoying all of these so far. I'm very happy with the Caribou press in particular, despite my RT exclusive having non-fill throughout the first minute of side B. RT support is fantastic, and they sent me a standard black replacement which is perfect.

Analogue Productions pickups:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (2xLP 45RPM)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

20200402_001931.jpg

A much improved sound quality difference in the AP 2xLP 45RPM reissue of Pet Sounds from my lackluster 50th anniversary mono reissue. I can't wait for how this sound will grow with eventual upgrades in the chain.
The Norah Jones AP notably bears vocals that come off hot, but with a bit of EQ, it sounds sublime. Really takes me back to youth, and it sounds fantastic.
My first two AP purchases from Plaid Room and it will not be my last. Satisfied is an understatement.

Other pickups:

Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee
Masumi Hara ( 原マスミ ) - 4 X A Dream (夢の4倍)
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Marissa Nadler - Strangers [signed]

20200402_002809.jpg

Secured my first N&G AotM! This is not something I would ever listen to on my own, so much thank you to @Teeeee! Scheduled to be seeing her in ~2.5 weeks, but that probably won't happen considering the extension of social distancing measures.
Need to thank @D Jilla for recommending Masumi Hara. Among the most unique experiences and blending of Japanese pop/new age I've heard.
Didn't really want to buy TPaB from uDiscover during this time, as several other stores are in more need of business, but I couldn't deny nabbing arguably the best album of the '10s on the cheap.
Selected my favorite Nadler record from her Bandcamp page. It arrived with a faint, glossy signature.

Last edited:
Pickups from the first quarter of this year. I was originally going to stick to 40 records or less for the year, but circumstances around the world have changed since my original self-imposed proclamation. Now making plans to helping out independent stores both local and across the nation when possible, especially if deals are available. I will most likely start updating monthly, so long as I continue to have sustainable employment and resources. It's the least I can do to help.
Now, on to the actual content...

Ambient pickups:

Laraaji - Ambient 3: Day of Radiance
Gaussian Curve - The Distance
Stars of the Lid - The Tired Sounds of
Visible Cloaks - Reassemblage [signed]
Visible Cloaks - Serenitatem [signed]

View attachment 39036

Finding a good condition copy of the 2015 Laraaji reissue at Plastique took me by surprise. Sounds great too, despite a nearly 27 minute runtime on side B.
Furthering my MFM collection with the missing Gaussian Curve entry. Just as good as Clouds, even if I prefer it more.
A classical ambient void has been filled with SotL. And Their Refinement of the Decline is next on my radar.
Got to see Visible Cloaks early in March (which could potentially be my last concert of the year :( ) and bought these two at the merch table. Spencer and Ryan, the duo behind the group name, signed my copies of the records along with another I brought from home. Happy to support Portland musicians!

Current year pickups:

Bonny Light Horseman - Bonny Light Horseman [Rough Trade Exclusive, signed]
Caribou - Suddenly [Rough Trade exclusive]
Deserta - Black Aura My Sun [signed]
Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

View attachment 39037

Enjoying all of these so far. I'm very happy with the Caribou press in particular, despite my RT exclusive having non-fill throughout the first minute of side B. RT support is fantastic, and they sent me a standard black replacement which is perfect.

Analogue Productions pickups:

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (2xLP 45RPM)
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

View attachment 39034

A much improved sound quality difference in the AP 2xLP 45RPM reissue of Pet Sounds from my lackluster 50th anniversary mono reissue. I can't wait for how this sound will grow with eventual upgrades in the chain.
The Norah Jones AP notably bears vocals that come off hot, but with a bit of EQ, it sounds sublime. Really takes me back to youth, and it sounds fantastic.
My first two AP purchases from Plaid Room and it will not be my last. Satisfied is an understatement.

Other pickups:

Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee
Masumi Hara ( 原マスミ ) - 4 X A Dream (夢の4倍)
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
Marissa Nadler - Strangers [signed]

View attachment 39035

Secured my first N&G AotM! This is not something I would ever listen to on my own, so much thank you to @Teeeee! Scheduled to be seeing her in ~2.5 weeks, but that probably won't happen considering the extension of social distancing measures.
Need to thank @D Jilla for recommending Masumi Hara. Among the most unique experiences and blending of Japanese pop/new age I've heard.
Didn't really want to buy TPaB from uDiscover during this time, as several other stores are in more need of business, but I couldn't deny nabbing arguably the best album of the '10s on the cheap.
Selected my favorite Nadler record from her Bandcamp page. It arrived with a faint, glossy signature.

Yeah, I'm so bummed her tour is gonna be messed up. Well, not just her, but everyone. But you know what I mean. I was excited to see forum members share their experiences from her tour. Follow her on IG - she's been doing a ton of music from her living room. She's giving a private show on Saturday night - a donation to her band is all she asks in return.

Some pickups from the last month or so, picked up some sentimental favourites I've been keeping an eye out for.
IMG_1351.jpg

Sunparlour Players - Wave North: I saw this band live after moving to Toronto in 2009. I loved them and started making an effort to get out and see as many local shows as I could.

Iron Horse - Pickin' On Modest Mouse: The Pickin' On series is when I started listening to bluegrass and americana. Started with the Metallica covers but the Modest Mouse covers were my favoutire. The Polar Opposites cover was a weekend staple

One Hundred Dollars - Songs of Man: Recommended by a friend, I love this album

Rah Rah - Vessels: Rah Rah called it quits recently so this is their last album. Great album even if I didn't listen to it as much as The Poet's Dead (still looking for that one).

Back