Fresh Grabs

Curious how this sounds?
The pressing is completely flat. Has very light, occassional surface noise. Otherwise almost dead silent. I would describe the audio as "flat and kind of dry." It sounds very good to my ears, but I EQed it to my preferred taste. Overall, I'd say it's worth the buy, given the only other recent and affordable reissue (I believe) is the 75th anniversary run. Which those are generally all mastered well, but pressed like complete shit by United. I have a few, one Grant Green, one Sonny Clark, and a Hank Mobley 75th, and they all have varying degrees of warping and sleeve scuffing.

Does this count as a Fresh Groob? I’m upgrading from the red.

View attachment 29055

Also what would you say is a good record to use as a comparison? Genre? Right now I’m listening to Kind it Blue (pun intended) because it’s one of the best sounding albums I own.

I always use a really good pressing of an album that I know inside out. It was always the diskbox In Rainbows but it will probably be the Utlradisc Blood on the Tracks in the future.

I always use a really good pressing of an album that I know inside out. It was always the diskbox In Rainbows but it will probably be the Utlradisc Blood on the Tracks in the future.
Good call! While I like Kind of Blue it’s not something that I could say I know super well to hear nuances, differences in sound. I’ll swap it up to something slightly different.

Hey now! How do they sound and how is the package quality? Has anyone figured out where they were pressed yet? Their CS team won’t answer that question for me.

I have coloring book on the way and am pretty excited about it.
Good news. I got mine in the mail today bad news...29D5EFF2-640C-4B4B-BA8D-0FE8C2EFFB4E.jpeg
Sounds like this has unfortunately been a common issue. Definitely packed loose in the box. I emailed Chance’s Customer Service, hopefully they have some extra jackets available and will help me out. We’ll see.

Last edited:
Good news. I got mine in the mail today bad news...View attachment 29073
Sounds like this has unfortunately been a common issue. Definitely packed loose in the box. I emailed Chance’s Customer Service, hopefully they have some extra jackets available and will help me out. We’ll see.

Ohhhh man that is brutal, especially after such a long wait. I hope this gets sorted out for you. Have you had a chance(no pun intended) to spin them yet?

Good news. I got mine in the mail today bad news...View attachment 29073

These seam damages are common occurrences for me, so I am already expecting my Chance records to arrive with them.

Ohhhh man that is brutal, especially after such a long wait. I hope this gets sorted out for you. Have you had a chance(no pun intended) to spin them yet?
Not yet. I am watching the NFL Playoffs right now. I Plan on giving them a listen after the games wrap up (earlier if the next game is as uneven as this one). I will let you know what I think. I am excited about them being 45 RPM.
These seam damages are common occurrences for me, so I am already expecting my Chance records to arrive with them.
I would Say about 50% of the LP's that order directly from artist have some issue. I have much better luck with direct orders from record stores, labels, and even Amazon. it seems like Merch stores are more used to sending out T-Shirts and shit like that and do not know how to properly ship vinyl.

Good news. I got mine in the mail today bad news...

from my past post my Acid Rap came all banged up more than just seam split issue LP cardboard mailer had no damage.i emailed customer service 4 days ago still no response seems like they couldn't careless about my issue.

Hey now! How do they sound and how is the package quality? Has anyone figured out where they were pressed yet? Their CS team won’t answer that question for me.

I have coloring book on the way and am pretty excited about it.

Packaging is pretty standard. Not heavyweight covers or foil or embossing or anything. Just basic, but gatefold! And they all appear to be 2xLP 45rp. I'm listening to coloring book right now and it sounds great. There's detail in the background music that I haven't heard before and I know this album extremely well.

9FA1462C-FD10-4487-8C6C-5B2615A9B6F4.jpeg
Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book

Outside the unpleasantness of the seam splits I am really happy with how these turned out. They sound great. This is coming from a person that owned an Acid Rap unofficial release that was so poorly pressed it was damn near unlistenable. These are top notch hip-hop LP’s. They sound immaculate both are flat and have no static. They came in paper sleeves that left some paper residue so they might end up sounding even better still once cleaned. Clear dynamic range with a heavy bass thud that I always hope for but That is unfortunately not always present on hip-hop releases. I hope I can get a couple new jackets but If not I am still alright with these releases as they just sound outstanding.

Last edited:
Back