Fresh Grabs

Been a while since I've posted an update here! These were mostly grabs from Christmas Time / New Year, but they all just got a nice cleaning (some a second time) so figured I'd share!

Sly 5th Ave - The Invisible Man (Orchestrated Tribute to Dr Dre) - shoutout to @Mather for putting this on my radar, awesome album and a steal for 18$ at the West Edmonton Mall!
Shlohmo - Bad Vibes (VMP Varient)
Jim O'Rourke - Insignificance -
A wonderful gift from a coworker!
Mobb Deep - The Infamous (VMP Varient)
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Oddments
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Murder of The Universe -
both of these were great gifts from my girlfriend, and now my King Gizzard Vinyl Collection is COMPLETE!
The Dirty Nil - Master Volume - Another awesome gift! This ones from my Brother, he claims it's Hamilton's best band (we'll find out!)
James Blackshaw - The Cloud Of Unknowning - @BjorgenFjorgen couldn't have picked a better record to gift me, this one is straight up my alley, and a beautiful sounding pressing! Thanks friend!
King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard - Infest The Rats Nest (Hell Edition) - This one was a gift for myself, I couldn't help it.. I love this album to bits so I jumped on this pressing when it popped online for a limited time!

View attachment 29415

Just gotta say how awesome the gift of music is, it's something so personal, but also so amazing to share. Feeling pretty blessed and starting off 2020 with a bang of kindness :giggle:(y)
Yeah that Dr.Dre tribute is quite something cant believe I actually forgot about it till now. I need to cop that myself 🔥

Let’s keep the Jim O’Rourke FG love going...
View attachment 29423
Jim O’Rourke - The Visitor
Silver Jews - Tanglewood Numbers

I love Jim O’Rourke more and more with each and every listen The Visitor is more in line with Bad Timing than Eureka or Insignificance (you have a nice friend @DeadwaxDude that Album is excellent) in that is all instrumental, really the whole album is a single piece spread over both sides and it is reminiscent in his other “Pop” albums in that it is deceptive in its charm and intricacies.

Tanglewood Numbers was my introduction to the SJ and is right up there with American Waters and Purple Mountain as Berman’s best. It's not a happy record but it might be his most hopeful.

I was just streaming this album today and was really digging it! But yes good friend indeed! I think The Visitor will be my next Jim O'rourke pickup (y)

View attachment 29422

Putting another CD here....

I always liked N.E.W.S. In the realm of Prince albums, I'd still only rank it in the low-mids of his output but in the low-highs of his side projects. Really, I'd buy a recording of Prince farting into a tin can (preferably in falsetto) - but then again he is the only artist that has their own folder in my discogs collection cause I'll buy anything (including the aforementioned flatulence - I have an offer in Discogs right now for it)

Now, it has some stuff working against it. Mainly that it is billed as a jazz or jazz fusion or jazz funk album. Prince had the chops to play whatever he liked, but he could be accused of dilettantism for this album. It's not great jazz per se; but taken simply as instrumental music, I always enjoyed it. It came out about a year before and Musicology. I remember seeing him on that tour and N.E.W.S. was played through the arena before the show. I always thought the four pieces presented nice 14-minute meditations. Plus, John Blackwell's drumming on "East" and the general groove that develops on that track is great. AND Eric Leeds joining the mix!

I had this CD when it came out. However, I went through a purge of all my CDs in the mid-00's. I ended up regretting getting rid of my copy of Rainbow Children and this. I was able to grab a reasonably price copy of RC a few years back but this album people were always asking stupid prices. Until I came across this NM beauty for a steal. Really glad to have it again.

This is one I'm hoping they reissue soon. I've never heard it but I'm a Prince completist. As soon as the next wave of reissues comes, I'll be pre-ordering, I'm hoping this is among them.

It’s a shame I haven’t spun a record since Christmas. That’s, of course, changed but, just wanted to show you what I’ve gotten in recently.

View attachment 29332

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Watchman Vol. 3
Mae - Singularity
BB King - Lucille
Aretha Franklin

View attachment 29333
Still Woozy
Fiona Apple
Channel Tres
Margot and the Nuclear So & Sos(Repress)

View attachment 29334
Dale Earnhardt JR JR - We Almost Lost Detroit EP
Prince - Graffiti Bridge
Mariah Carey - Mariah Carey

View attachment 29335

Lily Allen - Alright, Still
David Gray - Foundling
David Gray - Draw the Line
Looks like your Margot arrived already. Still waiting on my copy to show. Though, I'll admit, I'm one of 80 people with the blue vinyl OG. ;) Don't look at those discogs prices on that one.

I’m right there with you. 😉
View attachment 29439

And, yes, those prices are absurd. Don’t ask me how much I paid for this copy.
Ha ha. Nice! I bought my copy directly from Richard for like $35 many years ago. I actually saw them play a free show in Indy back in 2012, and I passed up purchasing the LP then for $25 because I had almost no income in grad school. It was the only record they were selling.

Ha ha. Nice! I bought my copy directly from Richard for like $35 many years ago. I actually saw them play a free show in Indy back in 2012, and I passed up purchasing the LP then for $25 because I had almost no income in grad school. It was the only record they were selling.
Very cool. Nice to see another one out there.

So some of you might know that I'm a bigggg fan of The Roots. I have had several of their lesser-known albums (live and compilations) on my wantlist for years but a lot of them rarely pop up in the UK and are already listed in the US at high prices BEFORE shipping and customs is taken into account. Well, one finally popped up in the UK for £19, which is well worth the money IMO. This is a superb compilation of some of their greatest hits. I first listened to this (and volume 2) on spotify a few years back and it was such a great collection. Happy to finally have it on wax, and this takes the count to 18 The Roots records.

The Roots - Home Grown! The Beginner's Guide To Understanding The Roots, Volume One (Geffen Records, 2005 First Pressing)

IMG_2172.JPG

View attachment 29547

Chance records are here ...

... with seam damages on all three.

View attachment 29548

This isn't even upsetting given that VMP was involved. It would have been surprising if they had arrived without the damages.
Yeah these look like mine unfortunately. I emailed the store and it sounded like they are planning to replace them. It was a bit of a form letter but they said they would be replacing them. No shipping notice yet but it’s only been a couple days so far.

Yeah these look like mine unfortunately. I emailed the store and it sounded like they are planning to replace them. It was a bit of a form letter but they said they would be replacing them. No shipping notice yet but it’s only been a couple days so far.

It is a welcome news, even though I am not sure they would be willing to send replacement jackets internationally.

I just can't seem to catch a break with this Ornette Coleman box set. First, the one I ordered from Amazon was battered to hell, and now this one that I ordered and picked up from WHSmiths has a duplicate of one record, with the correct one missing, plus the first LP is mega warped. At this point, I might give up if it cant be replaced.

On the plus side I picked up a copy of 'Miles Davis: The Definitive Biography' by Ian Carr today for £1.99 :ROFLMAO:

IMG_2398.JPG

After finally grabbing the new reissue of Emperor Tomato Ketchup and being absolutely blown away by how good it sounded, I went and grabbed a few more. I already have the 2012 Mars Audiac Quintet reissue pressed by Rainbo, so I'm particularly interested to see how much better this is than that one and will likely PIF it.
20200117_154715.jpg
20200117_154731.jpg

Wasn't able to get this in the Udiscovermusic sale, so snagged it with the Stereolab.
20200117_154754.jpg

Back