Fresh Grabs

Went record shopping today for the first time in about 1.5 months, so I was very happy today!

1567645261281-1855691207.jpg

Suso Saiz - Nothing is Objective
Suso Saiz - Odisea
Meitei (冥丁) - Komachi
Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse
D'Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah

Got some more ambient music from one of my favorite labels (Music From Memory) recommended to me from one of my favorite stores in Portland in the form of Suso Saiz. Great stuff, and looking to add more from MFM to my collection in the future!
Was recommended the Meitei record at the same store, and found the music quite interesting. Love the album art, too. Experiemental electronic/ambient music from Japan with some beautiful textures.
I think you'll be happy to see a Tone Poet LP make an appearance, @AnthonyI and @MikeH! Can't wait to play this tonight. Found this one for $29, so not too bad.
Also came across a modern classic and figured I'd complete my D'Angelo collection.

Spent a little over $110 today, so that'll probably do it for this month's purchases. I've got 3 more projected coming this month from RotM/preorder, so I should be tided over for now :)

EDIT: added a few words for coherence

Last edited:
Went record shopping today for the first time in about 1.5 months, so I was very happy today!

View attachment 16206

Suso Saiz - Nothing is Objective
Suso Saiz - Odisea
Meitei (冥丁) - Komachi
Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse
D'Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah

Got some more ambient music from of my favorite labels (Music From Memory) recommended to me from one of my favorite stores in Portland in the form of Suso Saiz. Great stuff, and looking to add more from MFM to my collection in the future!
Was recommended the Meitei record at the same store, and found the music quite interesting. Love the album art, too. Experiemental electronic/ambient music from Japan with some beautiful textures.
I think you'll be happy to see a Tone Poet LP make an appearance, @AnthonyI and @MikeH! Can't wait to play this tonight. Found this one for $29, so not too bad.
Also came across a modern classic and figured I'd complete my D'Angelo collection.

Spent a little over $110 today, so that'll probably do it for this month's purchases. I've got 3 more projected coming this month from RotM/preorder, so I should be tided over for now :)
Nice picks! That Dangelo record is amazing and I love his stuff on vinyl since he still records on tape so he cares about the sound of his records. Nice grab on the Tone Poet too—that’s one of the few I don’t have yet! $29 is a pretty good price too. Most shops near me have the TPs at $35.

Nice picks! That Dangelo record is amazing and I love his stuff on vinyl since he still records on tape so he cares about the sound of his records. Nice grab on the Tone Poet too—that’s one of the few I don’t have yet! $29 is a pretty good price too. Most shops near me have the TPs at $35.

I cracked open D'Angelo first and just gave it a whirl. As you said, this LP is great and comes alive on record.

Going to try Dexter soon.

It’s a nice set but to be honest besides the bonus detritus it’s just the standard 2014 black vinyl and triple cd. I got the Morning Glory and Be Here Now boxes too and have the Dont Believe the truth one that came out on its release. Weirdly the most valuable is the Be Here Now box, by a distance, it’s my second most valuable thing on. discogs.

I still have all my original oasis CDs albums and singles too, all bought on day of release.
Wow. I must have a look at all those on discogs. I've got all the albums on cd, vinyl, I've all the DVDs bluray etc too bunch of stuff. I have the release box of Dig Out Your Soul, I think I'd like the regular 2lp version eventually too though. I cant be arsed opening the box lol, same with my Stone Rose's boxset it's cool but I cant be bothered opening it

Got another Gambino from Amazon apparently? Plus The Eminem Show I got for cheap a few weeks ago.

The Simpsons one is a gift from some friends. It's actually not that bad, it's got Do The Bartman plus some tracks that are kind of blues and hip hop. It's weird, but not that bad.

I saw Childish Gambino at the 02 in London earlier in the year. At one point he walked backstage and around the lobby before popping out higher up in the seating area.......where I was sitting in an aisle seat. He fistbumped me, nodded, then carried on singing as he made his way back to the stage with a wall of security around him. Super surreal, especially when you consider the venue was sold out with a capacity of 20,000 people!

I saw Childish Gambino at the 02 in London earlier in the year. At one point he walked backstage and around the lobby before popping out higher up in the seating area.......where I was sitting in an aisle seat. He fistbumped me, nodded, then carried on singing as he made his way back to the stage with a wall of security around him. Super surreal, especially when you consider the venue was sold out with a capacity of 20,000 people!
I have had two bizarre Donald Glover encounters. Once I came out of a portapotty at Bonnaroo and looked up and Donald Glover was there about to go in. I was very caught off guard and said I was a big fan and he said thanks! then there was a very awkward silence and he said I’m gonna uh go do what I was gonna do...and laughed and went into the bathroom. The other weird time was at a holiday party in a divey karaoke bar in NY and my friend and I went up to sing Word Up by Cameo. In the middle of the song, I looked out at the room and Donald Glover was sitting right in the front watching us “perform”. It was truly embarrassing.

I have had two bizarre Donald Glover encounters. Once I came out of a portapotty at Bonnaroo and looked up and Donald Glover was there about to go in. I was very caught off guard and said I was a big fan and he said thanks! then there was a very awkward silence and he said I’m gonna uh go do what I was gonna do...and laughed and went into the bathroom. The other weird time was at a holiday party in a divey karaoke bar in NY and my friend and I went up to sing Word Up by Cameo. In the middle of the song, I looked out at the room and Donald Glover was sitting right in the front watching us “perform”. It was truly embarrassing.
I thought the end of the karaoke story was going to be "In the middle of the song, I looked out at the room and Donald Glover was sitting right in the front watching us “perform". He froze halfway through taking a sip of his drink and said 'aren't you the portapotty guy?"

So my girlfriend ended up buying a copy of the new Ill Considered for me.....not realising I already have it. Cool thing is that I had bought the yellow version, and shes bought the green. So the completionist in me is happy at least :ROFLMAO:

The brick behind it is actually a book by Art Pepper. This guy, like so many other jazz greats, had a tragic life. He was an alcoholic and heavy drug user (which led him to be arrested and put in jail). He still managed to make some of the best jazz out there. With this and the Hampton Hawes book, I have plenty to read.

Ill Considered - Ill Considered 8 (2019 Green Pressing)
Straight Life by Art & Laurie Pepper

IMG_6569.JPG

So my girlfriend ended up buying a copy of the new Ill Considered for me.....not realising I already have it. Cool thing is that I had bought the yellow version, and shes bought the green. So the completionist in me is happy at least :ROFLMAO:

The brick behind it is actually a book by Art Pepper. This guy, like so many other jazz greats, had a tragic life. He was an alcoholic and heavy drug user (which led him to be arrested and put in jail). He still managed to make some of the best jazz out there. With this and the Hampton Hawes book, I have plenty to read.

Ill Considered - Ill Considered 8 (2019 Green Pressing)
Straight Life by Art & Laurie Pepper

View attachment 16284
I just heard about that Art Pepper biography somewhere...maybe it was you on instagram haha. It's on my list of books to read...have to get through Miles' autobiography first and then the Blue Note Uncompromising expressions book.

Back