Fresh Grabs

It’s so difficult to find any older pressings of Braith that don’t cost an arm and a leg everytime I look. Just put an offer in for one on discogs but his stuff is pretty awesome and he didn’t seem to record many albums as a band leader.
Its insane right. I bought the first stereo pressing for a really decent price and was socked when I saw how much they go for on discogs. I want to get his 'Extension' album at some point but the last time I looked the first pressing was around the £60.

Edit: just checked ebay and theres 2 sold records of his, Extension (which sold for £76 total) and Soulstream (which sold for £83).....crazy

All ebay, all from same seller. This is their link. Only a handful left though and looks like it must have been one of each as there's no duplicates of any I bought unfortunately.

Thanks! I LOVE that Joe Pass record but already have an older copy. Not sure any of the others here are albums I like or don’t have but I appreciate the link! I bought Dexter Gordon - Go, Bill Evans - Trio, Lee Morgan - Indeed! And Mobley’s Soul Station. Then I put another order in for Money Jungle, Out To Lunch, New York Is Now, and the Sonny Rollins Allie soundtrack. On the lookout for others though and really wish they came with the booklets...

Its insane right. I bought the first stereo pressing for a really decent price and was socked when I saw how much they go for on discogs. I want to get his 'Extension' album at some point but the last time I looked the first pressing was around the £60.

Edit: just checked ebay and theres 2 sold records of his, Extension (which sold for £76 total) and Soulstream (which sold for £83).....crazy
I imagine because his records were mostly just repressed once in the 70s. He wasn’t particularly popular either so not a ton of copies exist. I saw Extension for $800 in good shape at a record fair near me once...

$800 is a bold price tag. How do people even come up with these prices :LOL:
Those record fairs are crazy. A lot of “collectors” there who go off of record pricing magazines to price albums. There is a HUGE record fair near my apartment once or twice a year and they have stuff I’ve never seen in the wild. One guy had exclusively original presses of Blue Note albums in mint condition. Nothing was under $500. I saw other people with beat up Blue Notes for $300+. But then there are also sellers where I got 70s repressed with VG stamper for $10-15 and most people will cut you deals if you buy multiple.

I still sort of regret one thing last year...a guy was selling his entire collection of Blue Note OG pressings. All in amazing shape. There were no prices. He just wanted people to make offers. I didn’t even bother because I figured I couldn’t afford it but in hindsight maybe I should have offered SOMETHING...it was one of the most impressive collections I have ever seen of Blue Notes.

Those record fairs are crazy. A lot of “collectors” there who go off of record pricing magazines to price albums. There is a HUGE record fair near my apartment once or twice a year and they have stuff I’ve never seen in the wild. One guy had exclusively original presses of Blue Note albums in mint condition. Nothing was under $500. I saw other people with beat up Blue Notes for $300+. But then there are also sellers where I got 70s repressed with VG stamper for $10-15 and most people will cut you deals if you buy multiple.

I still sort of regret one thing last year...a guy was selling his entire collection of Blue Note OG pressings. All in amazing shape. There were no prices. He just wanted people to make offers. I didn’t even bother because I figured I couldn’t afford it but in hindsight maybe I should have offered SOMETHING...it was one of the most impressive collections I have ever seen of Blue Notes.
Thats insane that people presumably pay those prices!

Wow, thats super sad that that guys selling but also a dream find for a collector. I would have ended up not wanting to low ball and ended up with nothing :LOL:

You actually reminded me of something. A few years ago I was browsing in a junk shop in my home town. The guy had a pretty decent record selection but would overprice everything (he was clearly knowledgeable about records but would blatantly lie to the public about reissues being first presses or rare etc). Most people that would buy stuff from him were novices and would just trust him and end up getting screwed over. While I was in there this little old lady came in with a box of 7" and explained that she had more at home and wanted to sell them. The shop owner (who was with his mate) looked through and said it wasn't worth anything at all and offered her 10p per record, stating he was only offering that because he needed the plain sleeves. She said she would go home and get her neighbour to bring them all in later that day. As she left the owner turned to his mate and started saying stuff like "I cant believe some of the stuff she had there" "I've been after those for years." "Im going to be able to sell those for a fortune"etc. Real scumbag. So I quickly rushed out and managed to catch up with the lady and tell her not to sell to him. She almost broke down, it turns out her husband had passed away a few months prior and it was his collection. She knew it meant a lot to him but had no idea of the value and was having to sell up to move to a (presumably) smaller home.

Thats insane that people presumably pay those prices!

Wow, thats super sad that that guys selling but also a dream find for a collector. I would have ended up not wanting to low ball and ended up with nothing :LOL:

You actually reminded me of something. A few years ago I was browsing in a junk shop in my home town. The guy had a pretty decent record selection but would overprice everything (he was clearly knowledgeable about records but would blatantly lie to the public about reissues being first presses or rare etc). Most people that would buy stuff from him were novices and would just trust him and end up getting screwed over. While I was in there this little old lady came in with a box of 7" and explained that she had more at home and wanted to sell them. The shop owner (who was with his mate) looked through and said it wasn't worth anything at all and offered her 10p per record, stating he was only offering that because he needed the plain sleeves. She said she would go home and get her neighbour to bring them all in later that day. As she left the owner turned to his mate and started saying stuff like "I cant believe some of the stuff she had there" "I've been after those for years." "Im going to be able to sell those for a fortune"etc. Real scumbag. So I quickly rushed out and managed to catch up with the lady and tell her not to sell to him. She almost broke down, it turns out her husband had passed away a few months prior and it was his collection. She knew it meant a lot to him but had no idea of the value and was having to sell up to move to a (presumably) smaller home.

I spoke with him for a little bit and he mentioned that he has been buying CD versions of everything he owned in vinyl because he was getting older and it was just easier for him to listen to them without having to get up and flip records. I also got the impression that his wife wanted him to sell them and by putting them all up for "make me an offer for the whole collection" it was his way of being able to go back home and say "I tried but nobody offered me anything worthwhile!" haha.

That story is awful. I hate when people are scummy like that. I understand that stores need to not pay market price in order to re-sell, but just lying to an elderly woman is so awful. It was nice of you to stop her and tell her. I bought records from a woman from craigslist once. It was all old jazz stuff and she said it was her husband's and he had passed away. She didn't know what to charge so she was just asking $10 for each one. I told her they were worth more than that because they were in really good shape. So I ended up sitting with her and helping her price everything (it was only about 20 records or so) and then bought a few at what I thought was a fair price. She gave me one or two free ones for my help.

I spoke with him for a little bit and he mentioned that he has been buying CD versions of everything he owned in vinyl because he was getting older and it was just easier for him to listen to them without having to get up and flip records. I also got the impression that his wife wanted him to sell them and by putting them all up for "make me an offer for the whole collection" it was his way of being able to go back home and say "I tried but nobody offered me anything worthwhile!" haha.

That story is awful. I hate when people are scummy like that. I understand that stores need to not pay market price in order to re-sell, but just lying to an elderly woman is so awful. It was nice of you to stop her and tell her. I bought records from a woman from craigslist once. It was all old jazz stuff and she said it was her husband's and he had passed away. She didn't know what to charge so she was just asking $10 for each one. I told her they were worth more than that because they were in really good shape. So I ended up sitting with her and helping her price everything (it was only about 20 records or so) and then bought a few at what I thought was a fair price. She gave me one or two free ones for my help.
Hahaha thats a genius way of holding onto them.

Thats really decent of you, and everyones a winner in that situation

This arrived this morning. It was one of my favorite albums for a really long time when it came out but I never seemed to be able to find it in the wild or online in the US. Gave up on finding it for a long time and then saw someone selling their copy on instagram for a really good price so I snagged it. Spinning it now and it reminds me how much I loved this album when it came out.

IMG_9682.JPG

Face Stabber finally landed.
Should have done the galaxy with much darker blue, or a purple, but oh well.
2M7f7gG.jpg

ztO9wPf.jpg

You got the picture disc! Awesome! I liked the look of it and the silver press of the standard! I was out this time because i got the big ridiculous box set 5 years ago for the 20th anniversary!
I would love the big box set myself but I had to cop this pic disc. It sounds really great too surprisingly. Probably better than my 2lp 2014 copy. Assuming WTSMG will get same treatment next year i will look forward to that pic disc too

View attachment 16107

Well, this is a thing I own now. And damn, is it beautiful. I'm so glad I've learned to love Taylor's music. It's truly uplifting, happy and joyful. And Lover might be her best album yet. What a beautiful album. It's exactly what I need in my life right now 💙💖💙💖

Before anyone asks, yes, this is hand signed. Not a digital print or anything of the sort. And damn, I'm happy to have it

Happy with mine as well. Did you get that certificate of authenticity email?

I would love the big box set myself but I had to cop this pic disc. It sounds really great too surprisingly. Probably better than my 2lp 2014 copy. Assuming WTSMG will get same treatment next year i will look forward to that pic disc too

It’s a nice set but to be honest besides the bonus detritus it’s just the standard 2014 black vinyl and triple cd. I got the Morning Glory and Be Here Now boxes too and have the Dont Believe the truth one that came out on its release. Weirdly the most valuable is the Be Here Now box, by a distance, it’s my second most valuable thing on. discogs.

I still have all my original oasis CDs albums and singles too, all bought on day of release.

Back