Fitness!

What sort of fitness tracker do you recommend for this? I don't have one at all. I can get a deal on an apple watch through work, but I didn't really want to spend that much.

That's totally up to you. If you don't want any sort of fitness tracker then you can manually input information into Endomondo via the app or the website. So if you complete a 30 minute class you can add a workout for 30 minutes and classify the workout type based on what you did. If you're running or walking I would recommend you download the app on your phone and use that while you're exercising. That's how I started, and then I eventually got a smart watch and I use the app on there for tracking. So yeah, if you don't want to buy anything, just keep track of your time and input it manually. If you're walking, running or biking you can use the Endo app if you'd like. I hope that answers your question?haha

Meanwhile I used the 6% back as an excuse to upgrade my apple watch :ROFLMAO:

I'm also currently in the "just try to close my rings every day" phase of things. I gained like 25 pounds in the past few months (I blame the depression mostly, but also I'm from Louisiana and really like rice), going above 200 for the first time since like 2009, and my work clothes aren't fitting well, so I needed to take steps to fix things. I also started using the Noom app this week, and so far I like it a lot more than I thought I would...at the very least it's helping me to recalibrate my eating habits, but I still need some motivation to get me to exercise more.

I get it! I did nearly the same thing last year and this one again. I did Noom for a while last year and found it to be one of the better fitness/diet apps I've used. They really drill the mental side of it into you and, even though I slipped again, I slipped less than usual and I attribute that to things that stuck from Noom. Also, a little Noom pro tip - if you message through the app that you want to cancel your sub they will send you an offer to stay on for SUBSTANTIALLY less per month.

What sort of fitness tracker do you recommend for this? I don't have one at all. I can get a deal on an apple watch through work, but I didn't really want to spend that much.

I agree with the sentiment that you don't necessarily NEED one, but if you want one and the deal through your work is substantial, I would highly recommend the Apple Watch. It is something I never thought I wanted or needed, and I probably would still not have one if my nephew didn't sell me an old one of his for next to nothing years back (he's one of those must have the newest model of every apple device people). It is a great device though and excels at tracking movement and heart rate I would say!

i've never used Endomondo, but I'm a user of Strava (non paying).
Strava is tracking my weekly activities and also my yearly summary.

I am to keep things simple, so I would leave it to individual runners to simply post a summary of their activities, as often as ones like it.
I was suggesting this as a motivational tool, rather than a challenge, as not everyone would be up for it.

I would also suggest to track any other achievement one reaches, regardless of being related to running.

I personally am thinking to track my weekly running data, my overall mileage for the year and any other PR.
Plus, if anybody's interested, race reports....
(You won't see any medal placements, just a regular middle of the pack participant!)
and maybe pics of an aging struggling man running up or down a hill!

normally when uploading my runs on Strava I also record the music that was playing on my iPodf (yes, I'm obsolete!).
I can make also a weekly musical summary.

Also, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on your toes with everything and apologize if you felt I did. It was originally your idea to post updates here to get people motivated and I thought the Endo challenge could help in that. Definitely wasn't intending to take your idea or step on your toes, just hoping to enhance the same experience for those who wanted to use that resource. Anyway, thank you for getting this thread going again and helping get everyone motivated to get back out there after the new year! I hope you'll sync your Strava to Endo and join!

Also, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping on your toes with everything and apologize if you felt I did. It was originally your idea to post updates here to get people motivated and I thought the Endo challenge could help in that. Definitely wasn't intending to take your idea or step on your toes, just hoping to enhance the same experience for those who wanted to use that resource. Anyway, thank you for getting this thread going again and helping get everyone motivated to get back out there after the new year! I hope you'll sync your Strava to Endo and join!
no worries and no need to apologize.
I do not own the motivation updates idea and I am happy to have as many people contributing with their different suggestions.
I tend to be competitive so having the expectation to share my training achievements works for me as it keeps me focused on my commitments!
I was looking earlier today to syncing Strava to Endo through the link you suggested.... I have a Garmin watch that upload its data to Strava so I could go directly to the source and sync Garmin to Endo.
give me few days and I'll be in it!

and for the rest of the people here.....
I hope you get motivated to set up goals and targets for your health and fitness and this thread helps you with you commitments, whatever these goals are!

let's keep moving, to get fitter and healthier!

giphy.gif

I agree with the sentiment that you don't necessarily NEED one, but if you want one and the deal through your work is substantial, I would highly recommend the Apple Watch. It is something I never thought I wanted or needed, and I probably would still not have one if my nephew didn't sell me an old one of his for next to nothing years back (he's one of those must have the newest model of every apple device people). It is a great device though and excels at tracking movement and heart rate I would say!

Agreed on all of this. I joked a lot about how unnecessary the watch was when it was first announced, only to be left with my foot in my mouth. I think it's a great fitness tool and motivator, and I also find that it helps me to not look at my phone as much, since notifications hit my watch instead where I can quickly glance and see if it's something I need to take action on, rather than pulling out my phone, seeing notifications, and ending up in a 45-minute spiral of checking facebook/insta/twitter/etc.

Meanwhile I used the 6% back as an excuse to upgrade my apple watch :ROFLMAO:

I'm also currently in the "just try to close my rings every day" phase of things. I gained like 25 pounds in the past few months (I blame the depression mostly, but also I'm from Louisiana and really like rice), going above 200 for the first time since like 2009, and my work clothes aren't fitting well, so I needed to take steps to fix things. I also started using the Noom app this week, and so far I like it a lot more than I thought I would...at the very least it's helping me to recalibrate my eating habits, but I still need some motivation to get me to exercise more.
Note to self, don't send Heath that king cake...

When I first started I used a Mio Fuse tracker. It really helped me understand what my exertion levels actually were. For a long time I used heart rate to dictate when to start the next set as opposed to watching a clock. Eventually the device fell apart and I never replaced it but I was left with a very intuitive sense of effort expended as well as readiness to continue. People often ask me what my rest periods are and I just say "when I am ready".

Also, seeing accurate calorie expenditure helped me to dial in my food intake as well as design relatively consistent workouts.

My wife used her student discount to sign up to Joe Wicks 90 day program. I decided to do it with her. The recipe quantities are individually tailored to your starting size, so that means I should probably be eating bigger portions but it's just easier to follow her plan and just eat what she eats. Less than a week in and it's pretty intense.

First month you're cutting, so running a calorie deficit and doing loads of excise. He has a program of HIIT workouts videos that you do as well. A different one for each day. He suggests you do these 4 or 5 times a week and allow yourself a couple of rest days. You only eat carbs in meals following a workout, but it's not much, 40g of pasta with my meal the other night.

Second month you are building muscle and you eat much more carbs and weights are introduced to the workout routines. The third month you are back to cutting and running at a calorie deficit, but I think the workouts remain pretty intense.

He doesn't want you to weigh yourself and get on the "sad step" as he calls it, he is more focused on changing your body shape so you take photos of yourself once a month to monitor your progress.

Early impression is that the food is really nice, bit I am hungry (which I guess is what happens when you eat less food!) and I do love carbs so I am missing those. You are also not supposed to drink any alcohol, but I'm allowing myself one drink a week because.. well... life is for living.

I am going to stick with it though.

We bought a set weights second hand for £30 which is an absolute steal because they normally really expensive.
That sounds like a steal!
My apartment has a gym downstairs so I'll have access, but I'm a bit intimidated when it comes to picking out a routine!

My apartment has a gym downstairs so I'll have access, but I'm a bit intimidated when it comes to picking out a routine!
there are some people in here that would probably be great resources! and I think they mostly eschew cardio themselves. I'm working on finding a routine that makes sense for me aka one I'll actually stick to. so far, more bodyweight than lifting weights since I can do it anywhere.

I'm retired and I workout 6 days a week on average. My wife finally retired last Thursday and has joined me. Four years ago this May, I retired and at the time I weighted 200 Lbs at 5'7. After sitting on my ass for 6 months, I decided to take action. I took over Grocery shopping and cooking and changed the what we eat. Lower fat, less meat, more fruit and tons more veggies. I lost 40 Lbs that first year, then I join a local fitness gym to maintain my weight loss. I put 5 Lbs back on but that's mussels.

The best routine is the one I like to do that continues to challenge me. That means trying different things until I find the ones that work for me. Once I get an idea of what is working that I can sustain doing it gets much easier to actually program something around those things. I hate cardio and core work. Thus they are minor outliers in my program. I still do them because the heart is a muscle and arguably the most important and everything benefits from core work. Still I only do either one 3 times over a 4 week period. If I had to do it more I don’t think I would stick with doing it.

The most important aspect of any program, by far, is consistency. Consistency requires discipline. Discipline means sometimes I am doing it even when I don’t feel like it or it seems so much harder than usual.

2nd to consistency is Diet. Diet is kind of a dirty word. For me I sought to gain lean mass for a long time and nowadays I seek to maintain it. Finding information on those goals is much harder than if the intent is to lose weight. Key thing, diet is not just losing weight. Diet is feeding your program which is built to achieve your goals. For example, if you want amazing six pack abs you might be surprised how very little core work you even have to do. Cutting fat away from them is the actual work involved. I put consistency ahead of diet because diet necessarily falls within the same precepts of consistency. I have to find something sustainable that I can get behind and not drop out over.

3rd comes effort. While a lot of gains will be had in initial stages due to rapid adaptation, in order to see continued development effort must come in to play. What this looks like is dependent on the goals involved but it always means going harder, heavier, farther, quicker, more, etc. than previously done.

At the tail end of all this is Recovery. Believe it or not, when I am asleep or taking time off is when I grow. The work in the gym is largely destructive so that my body can rebuild bigger and better as an adaptation to the stress applied to it. Without sufficient recovery my progress will stall and injury becomes the most likely outcome. Stress comes in many forms. Gym stress is but just one form and the one I arguably have the most control over. When life is handing me lemons I have to accept that those stresses are just as cumulative as any other which sometimes means curtailing the stresses I have control over in order to ensure adequate recovery.

For me, it’s a simple triangle. Diet, Effort, Sleep. When all these things are on point and in balance recognizable progress is made. Consistency and Discipline teach me how to keep these things on point and in balance.

Thank you for attending my Fitness TED Talk as @Teeeee would say.

The best routine is the one I like to do that continues to challenge me. That means trying different things until I find the ones that work for me. Once I get an idea of what is working that I can sustain doing it gets much easier to actually program something around those things. I hate cardio and core work. Thus they are minor outliers in my program. I still do them because the heart is a muscle and arguably the most important and everything benefits from core work. Still I only do either one 3 times over a 4 week period. If I had to do it more I don’t think I would stick with doing it.

The most important aspect of any program, by far, is consistency. Consistency requires discipline. Discipline means sometimes I am doing it even when I don’t feel like it or it seems so much harder than usual.

2nd to consistency is Diet. Diet is kind of a dirty word. For me I sought to gain lean mass for a long time and nowadays I seek to maintain it. Finding information on those goals is much harder than if the intent is to lose weight. Key thing, diet is not just losing weight. Diet is feeding your program which is built to achieve your goals. For example, if you want amazing six pack abs you might be surprised how very little core work you even have to do. Cutting fat away from them is the actual work involved. I put consistency ahead of diet because diet necessarily falls within the same precepts of consistency. I have to find something sustainable that I can get behind and not drop out over.

3rd comes effort. While a lot of gains will be had in initial stages due to rapid adaptation, in order to see continued development effort must come in to play. What this looks like is dependent on the goals involved but it always means going harder, heavier, farther, quicker, more, etc. than previously done.

At the tail end of all this is Recovery. Believe it or not, when I am asleep or taking time off is when I grow. The work in the gym is largely destructive so that my body can rebuild bigger and better as an adaptation to the stress applied to it. Without sufficient recovery my progress will stall and injury becomes the most likely outcome. Stress comes in many forms. Gym stress is but just one form and the one I arguably have the most control over. When life is handing me lemons I have to accept that those stresses are just as cumulative as any other which sometimes means curtailing the stresses I have control over in order to ensure adequate recovery.

For me, it’s a simple triangle. Diet, Effort, Sleep. When all these things are on point and in balance recognizable progress is made. Consistency and Discipline teach me how to keep these things on point and in balance.

Thank you <3

Dammit, Deb! You @ing me in a whole thread dedicated to cussing at me!!! ;)

there are some people in here that would probably be great resources! and I think they mostly eschew cardio themselves. I'm working on finding a routine that makes sense for me aka one I'll actually stick to. so far, more bodyweight than lifting weights since I can do it anywhere.
The body chemistry for women is different than men. Our bodies are meant to convert any sugar/carbs into fat to store for later because we might get a hitchhiker at any time. Men's bodies have no problems releasing fat, but our fat stores are ruled by our hormones as much as it is by our basic biological needs. That's why it's important to get your hormone levels in balance, and the best way I've found to do that is to keep my blood sugar in balance.
Furthermore, research does suggest that weight training is a very, very good thing for women. It helps you combat osteoporosis, and it will help you do any exercise you want to do easier. I found that my yoga improved when I added in weight training. As for cardio, I think it's important, but more as a mood enhancer. I do the cardio that I enjoy, which is mainly dancing related because it's fun for me so I stick to it. @debianlinux is right, consistency is key, so it doesn't really matter what you do as long as you show up every week to do it.

Back