Fitness!

Nice!

I shouldn’t complain, right after my other comment, I did some research and threw $200 on the Bose SoundSport Free. I saw a lot of really great reviews so I decided to take the plunge.

I’ve never been satisfied with the headphones I’ve used to work out. Never. For years. On here and at the old forum I definitely asked about what headphones other people used because I hated what I currently have/had. My first day at the new gym one of my head phone buds got stuck in my ear because my left ear canal is a little smaller than my right. So I was annoyed having to deal with that again. Had to go home and use tweezers to get the little rubber bud out. Hoping these new head phones are the end to that.
I totally get ALL of that. These Airpods are probably my 6th attempt at running/workout headphones. I've run the gamut from over-the-ear, buds, cheapo wireless.. none have had the right mix of comfort and sound quality. The best I ever had were some wired Bose ones that had an ear wing thing that held them in place SORT OF well. But I hated the wire, and ultimately I lost them at some point.

New Years exercise motivation eh !

Im not gonna say what I do - Everyone has there own preferences but I have a few tips I think are sensible......

1: Do what you like - If u hate running / weights etc but love competitive sports, find a partner and book regular squash / tennis / badminton etc etc games. If you have not got a partner, you could probably find one at the gym/ online etc. But improtant do what you enjoy the most.

2: Make sure whatever you do fits in with your lifestyle, dont get expensive memberships if going is a complete chore and really hard to fit into a tough schedule. Work out home routines and safe yourself cash and time. Or open doors and run - In good weather I regularly go out with my daughters to inspire them - they love the attention and we all get a huge feel good factor out of it.

3: When you exercise whatever u do maybe get some online tips if its weights or cardio sessions - Make the most out of that session ! Then give it your all, don't make it easy on yourself - if its sweaty and tiring your doing it right ! You cant chat and work out.

But yeah motivation and consistency - tough ones eh !

Yeah I'd be down! I also love your annual goal. I should find one. 1k may be a bit lofty. 20 miles/week is on the high side of where I ever get, even when training for a half. I've always been a 3 run per week kind of runner. I find my body needs those days between to recover. When I trained for my one full marathon I had to up it to 4 runs per week, but that's the only stretch I ever had like that. 500 would probably be more in line with where I'm at presently and where I hope to be over the course of the year. MAYBE 600.

How do you propose we go about this? Are you thinking some kind of structured data, or just like weekly/monthly check ins?
i've never used Endomondo, but I'm a user of Strava (non paying).
Strava is tracking my weekly activities and also my yearly summary.

I am to keep things simple, so I would leave it to individual runners to simply post a summary of their activities, as often as ones like it.
I was suggesting this as a motivational tool, rather than a challenge, as not everyone would be up for it.

I would also suggest to track any other achievement one reaches, regardless of being related to running.

I personally am thinking to track my weekly running data, my overall mileage for the year and any other PR.
Plus, if anybody's interested, race reports....
(You won't see any medal placements, just a regular middle of the pack participant!)
and maybe pics of an aging struggling man running up or down a hill!

normally when uploading my runs on Strava I also record the music that was playing on my iPodf (yes, I'm obsolete!).
I can make also a weekly musical summary.

I am to keep things simple, so I would leave it to individual runners to simply post a summary of their activities, as often as ones like it.
I was suggesting this as a motivational tool, rather than a challenge, as not everyone would be up for it.

I would also suggest to track any other achievement one reaches, regardless of being related to running.

I personally am thinking to track my weekly running data, my overall mileage for the year and any other PR.
(You won't see any medal placements, just a regular middle of the pack participant!)

normally when uploading my runs on Strava I also record the music that was playing on my iPodf (yes, I'm obsolete!).

I like Strava - I use it when Cycling - My Friday Cycle commute (previous employment) was made all the more enjoyable because Id challenge myself to beat my times and personal bests on the mini courses. Id be left a gasping mess but looking at the results once Id arrived in the office was a nice part of my Friday mornings.

I totally get ALL of that. These Airpods are probably my 6th attempt at running/workout headphones. I've run the gamut from over-the-ear, buds, cheapo wireless.. none have had the right mix of comfort and sound quality. The best I ever had were some wired Bose ones that had an ear wing thing that held them in place SORT OF well. But I hated the wire, and ultimately I lost them at some point.
Yup, I thought about the wired/wireless ones that are connected around your neck which were only $100. But, another thing I hate about my current headphones are when running the wire tends to shift to one side over time so I’m constantly adjusting the wire around my back neck. Super annoying. Went with completely wireless to avoid that.

I'd be down. I ran my second full marathon in the fall of 2018 and really struggled to get back into the groove afterwards (same thing happened to me in 2017 after running my first in 2016). But I definitely plan on getting back out there now. I'm looking at a a local half this spring (March/April timeframe) and also a destination-ish one at a DE beach that I've run a few times before in mid-April.

I like the idea of activities summaries on here. On a different forum I set up challenges using the Endomondo app and a bunch of the members joined and tracked on Endo and joined the challenges to help keep us all motivated. They can be yearly, monthly, quarterly or whatever length challenges based on number of workouts, distance, time spent, calories burned, etc. So we could really tailor them to whatever we're interested in. So if a bunch of people are interested in that, I would be open to setting them up again. @Bohnjaggs @Dash @sjaygray @Bennnnn @Englishbob @Memo @wokeupnew @Aron @Kris and any others, interested? Thoughts?
Does this app do more than running? Like can I input weight workouts?

I'm not a runner by any means. I'm mostly just trying to get into a habit of walking every day. My goal is to do a 5K walk at some point this summer and be able to finish in a reasonable time (under an hour). I started a MFP challenge to exercise every day in January for at least 20 minutes and have made it this far.

I do go to the gym to walk on the treadmill for longer periods 2-3 times a week and would really like to do more weight training but I find the whole aspect of that intimidating. I should just hire a trainer for a few sessions to get me over the nerves. I do like going to the gym to get myself out of the house because I have never been successful at any kind of weight training at home.

I'm not a runner by any means. I'm mostly just trying to get into a habit of walking every day. My goal is to do a 5K walk at some point this summer and be able to finish in a reasonable time (under an hour). I started a MFP challenge to exercise every day in January for at least 20 minutes and have made it this far.

I do go to the gym to walk on the treadmill for longer periods 2-3 times a week and would really like to do more weight training but I find the whole aspect of that intimidating. I should just hire a trainer for a few sessions to get me over the nerves. I do like going to the gym to get myself out of the house because I have never been successful at any kind of weight training at home.
starting is the challenging part.
well done on keeping the commitment up to now.

i'm reading that the 19th of January is the day when new year resolution fails.....
use this space to keep yourself motivated!

have you never thought of getting a dog to help you with your walking targets?
a dog will force you out of the house on a daily basis and by providing him/her with exercise, you'll be doing the same for yourself.

starting is the challenging part.
well done on keeping the commitment up to now.

i'm reading that the 19th of January is the day when new year resolution fails.....
use this space to keep yourself motivated!

have you never thought of getting a dog to help you with your walking targets?
a dog will force you out of the house on a daily basis and by providing him/her with exercise, you'll be doing the same for yourself.
Yes, I take my two dogs with me on my walks. They love it. This past summer I was walking them more but with the winter, I've been sticking to the gym because I hate walking in the dark. There's no sidewalks in my neighborhood. I decided to take a walk at lunch time every day while it's light out and it actually makes my day go better. I also bough a reflective vest for myself (my dogs already had them) so that I can walk later at night when the traffic dies down a bit. I'm working on getting my average up to 8,000 steps a day now.

My running habit absolutely started as a walking habit. I'm not saying the same will happen to everyone, but that was my journey. Then I got hooked on foolish Tough Mudders and Spartan races. Now I just want to build a lifelong habit of staying in shape. Those big goals are motivating, but I always find myself slacking off entirely as soon I've met them!

I just realized I never linked the sale items. There's a tab at the top of their site that says 'Last Looks Sale'. They're essentially selling last year's models to move them. Here's the link: Brooks Running
Thank you for this. I love Brooks shoes.

I'd be down. I ran my second full marathon in the fall of 2018 and really struggled to get back into the groove afterwards (same thing happened to me in 2017 after running my first in 2016). But I definitely plan on getting back out there now. I'm looking at a a local half this spring (March/April timeframe) and also a destination-ish one at a DE beach that I've run a few times before in mid-April.

I like the idea of activities summaries on here. On a different forum I set up challenges using the Endomondo app and a bunch of the members joined and tracked on Endo and joined the challenges to help keep us all motivated. They can be yearly, monthly, quarterly or whatever length challenges based on number of workouts, distance, time spent, calories burned, etc. So we could really tailor them to whatever we're interested in. So if a bunch of people are interested in that, I would be open to setting them up again. @Bohnjaggs @Dash @sjaygray @Bennnnn @Englishbob @Memo @wokeupnew @Aron @Kris and any others, interested? Thoughts?
I like this idea. I mainly do gym classes because I like classes.

I recommend at least one day of weights. At my gym, you get a free consult with a trainer. If you don't have that, I would buy an hour or so with a trainer and ask the trainer to show you around the weights. I also like livestrong, good + well, and pop sugar fitness for weight circuits for women. You will be impressed with how much better you can do everything physical when you incorporate weights in your workouts.

I usually make it to the gym 4-5 times a week.
Monday--kickboxing
Tuesday--yoga
Wednesday--weights
Thursday--step class
Friday--zumba

When I was a kid, I did tons of dance classes, so going into a choreographed class is second nature to me. I also think that dancing is more fun than running. I like to get into classes with tons of steps because it helps me to be present. I can't think about anything else in my life. There is no work, or kids, or house or husband. It goes away and I just follow the steps.

starting is the challenging part

This is so true. Once I get into a groove, I'm usually pretty good at sticking to it, but just getting started is the worst...

And being that all the running I did before was mostly to train for marathons, I always had a daily goal in mind. Free running has really never been my thing. So, to start again, I never know how little I want to do. I guess one of those "Couch to 5K" programs would probably help.

I run back from gym on a Saturday with my “original“ AirPods on and never even considered it an issue, on Saturday im gonna try and forget what ive just read here.

I run back from gym on a Saturday with my “original“ AirPods on and never even considered it an issue, on Saturday im gonna try and forget what ive just read here.
Who knows, these may not even be the winner. I'm not scheduled to receive them for another 2 weeks as they were severely back ordered when I put my order in.

Also, one kind of cool app I've found is Achievement which you can sync with your phone's native health app as well as a host of other popular fitness apps and it gives you points for everything you do on a daily basis. For every 10k points you accrue they pay you $10. It doesn't happen QUICKLY, but it can add up. The trade off is you are allowing them access to the data from those apps, but it seems as though they are using it to do some interesting and very legit research which I am certainly all for.

Full disclosure: that is a referral link and I will get bonus points for anyone that happens to use it :)

I'm also a big fan of Dietbet which allows you to wager money on yourself to lose either 4% body weight in a month, or 10% over 6 months. My wife and I have done this a few times and have found that there's no greater motivator than losing/winning money!

I am unfamiliar with that app, but curious! I would get in on that!

I like Strava - I use it when Cycling - My Friday Cycle commute (previous employment) was made all the more enjoyable because Id challenge myself to beat my times and personal bests on the mini courses. Id be left a gasping mess but looking at the results once Id arrived in the office was a nice part of my Friday mornings.
Does this app do more than running? Like can I input weight workouts?
Thank you for this. I love Brooks shoes.

I like this idea. I mainly do gym classes because I like classes.

I recommend at least one day of weights. At my gym, you get a free consult with a trainer. If you don't have that, I would buy an hour or so with a trainer and ask the trainer to show you around the weights. I also like livestrong, good + well, and pop sugar fitness for weight circuits for women. You will be impressed with how much better you can do everything physical when you incorporate weights in your workouts.

I usually make it to the gym 4-5 times a week.
Monday--kickboxing
Tuesday--yoga
Wednesday--weights
Thursday--step class
Friday--zumba

When I was a kid, I did tons of dance classes, so going into a choreographed class is second nature to me. I also think that dancing is more fun than running. I like to get into classes with tons of steps because it helps me to be present. I can't think about anything else in my life. There is no work, or kids, or house or husband. It goes away and I just follow the steps.

I apologize in advance for how long this post is haha Since there seemed to be some interest I created an Endo challenge, just as an example so you guys can see what it's all about. I think this post will respond to all of the quoted messages, but let me know if it doesn't. Here is the link:

This challenge is counting active minutes so that every type of workout applies. If you're running, biking, weight lifting, taking a class at the gym, doing yoga, snowboarding, kickboxing, walking, dancing, it doesn't matter, you can participate! The app is generally built for running, so for instance if you add a workout for weight training, it doesn't have specifics, just asks you for duration, heart rate and date. But again, it would still allow you to participate. This isn't intended to be a really competitive thing, but used to help with motivation. Plus if we add each other as friends we can see workouts and comment and encourage each other to keep it up. If there isn't any interest, that's totally fine with me, I'm good with just staying up to date in this thread. It goes from now until the end of March, and again is intended to help motivate us all to get out there and stay active! Let me know your thoughts.

For those who already use something other than Endo to track your workouts, in the past I have used this website to sync my Endo workouts with Strava, RunKeeper, Garmin and other sites: sync your runs, rides & more • tapiriik. I was comfortable with the privacy policy, but I would ensure you are as well. For Strava, Endomondo and RunKeeper, they don't store user names or passwords, they use them once to obtain an access token and then discard them. So they have an access token and rights to your data so that it can be copied over, but that's it, and they do not share that information with third parties. The privacy page goes into much more detail.

I apologize in advance for how long this post is haha Since there seemed to be some interest I created an Endo challenge, just as an example so you guys can see what it's all about. I think this post will respond to all of the quoted messages, but let me know if it doesn't. Here is the link:

This challenge is counting active minutes so that every type of workout applies. If you're running, biking, weight lifting, taking a class at the gym, doing yoga, snowboarding, kickboxing, walking, dancing, it doesn't matter, you can participate! The app is generally built for running, so for instance if you add a workout for weight training, it doesn't have specifics, just asks you for duration, heart rate and date. But again, it would still allow you to participate. This isn't intended to be a really competitive thing, but used to help with motivation. Plus if we add each other as friends we can see workouts and comment and encourage each other to keep it up. If there isn't any interest, that's totally fine with me, I'm good with just staying up to date in this thread. It goes from now until the end of March, and again is intended to help motivate us all to get out there and stay active! Let me know your thoughts.

For those who already use something other than Endo to track your workouts, in the past I have used this website to sync my Endo workouts with Strava, RunKeeper, Garmin and other sites: sync your runs, rides & more • tapiriik. I was comfortable with the privacy policy, but I would ensure you are as well. For Strava, Endomondo and RunKeeper, they don't store user names or passwords, they use them once to obtain an access token and then discard them. So they have an access token and rights to your data so that it can be copied over, but that's it, and they do not share that information with third parties. The privacy page goes into much more detail.
Great! I joined!
Also pawning an old fitbit off my sister to measure heart rate to keep track of that during workouts lol

Yeah... I know. But I had a $100 gift card and a $30 off coupon code that Apple had offered me for a prior issue I'd had with an order AND they had a 6% cash back promo going on with the Apple Card at the time, so they only ended up being like $110 out of pocket.

Meanwhile I used the 6% back as an excuse to upgrade my apple watch :ROFLMAO:

I'm also currently in the "just try to close my rings every day" phase of things. I gained like 25 pounds in the past few months (I blame the depression mostly, but also I'm from Louisiana and really like rice), going above 200 for the first time since like 2009, and my work clothes aren't fitting well, so I needed to take steps to fix things. I also started using the Noom app this week, and so far I like it a lot more than I thought I would...at the very least it's helping me to recalibrate my eating habits, but I still need some motivation to get me to exercise more.

What sort of fitness tracker do you recommend for this? I don't have one at all. I can get a deal on an apple watch through work, but I didn't really want to spend that much.

Back