February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Day 3 - Africa

20210203_211657.jpg

Paul Simon - Graceland

Paul Simon went to South Africa for inspiration and made arguably the best album of his career. Felt weird playing a white artist for today but I also feel like it needs to be acknowledged how a white artist can go to Africa, use their music, and make big bucks while actual artists from there dont break through

Wed 3 – Africa
Spin your favourite record from (or related to) Africa.

Pat Thomas/Marijata - Pat Thomas Introduces Marijata

2F6C8473-120B-4867-8338-8C30A481E093.jpeg

I think I bought this years ago because of the cover, but this record from Ghana turned out to be a lot of fun.

Feb 1 – Beer, sweat and sawdust

Bill Evans Trio - Sunday at the Village Vanguard

This was actually the first record I ever purchased (before I learned to avoid labels such as WaxTime). It’s an absolute breathtaking performance. I especially love Scott LaFaro’s bass playing.

8AA586E3-26C5-4C71-88B1-308C61AA83FA.jpeg

Thurs 4 – And on the drums…
Who’s your number one drummer?

If you're not down to tighten up with Clyde Stubblefield, you should just sell all your records and take an oath of musical celibacy.

James Brown - Say It Live And Loud Live In Dallas 08.28.68

20210204_004925.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2: Play your favorite album by a solo artist.

I wouldn't say "favorite" - but I do enjoy his work and was happy to see Sacred Bones reissue his releases...originals are unobtainium at the prices they go for. This soundtrack predates Plantasia by 6 years.

Mort Garson ‎– Didn't You Hear?
Sacred Bones Records ‎– SBR3031, 1970/2020

Limited to 1000 on Silver And Black Splash variant

Cut at Bonati Mastering

CQV6H3.jpg

Ye4Tbb.jpg

Originally released in 1970, the movie debuted in Seattle and then disappeared, only to resurface in 1983 on VHS and TV for a short time.

Thurs 4 – And on the drums…: Who’s your number one drummer?

Aaron Frazer - Introducing...

My favorite drummer is actually Homer Steinweiss of Dap-Kings/The Arcs/Holy Hive fame, but I did a long love post dedicated to him in the December thread (here) so I'll throw some love at another favorite of mine, Aaron Frazer! For me his drumming is a big part of what makes Durand Jones & The Indications so great, and the same can be said on his debut solo album released earlier this year!

Tues 2 – Solo

Bob Dylan - The Times Are A-Changin’

Dylan is probably my favorite solo artist of all time. This record is very much of its time. A snapshot of America in 1964. While this isn’t my favorite Dylan album (that would be Blonde on Blonde), it’s my favorite of his early 60’s recordings.

247F6721-2591-47BD-BBCC-8EFE5C05AC87.jpeg

Wed 3 – Africa

Jorge Ben - África Brasil

Not from Africa, but all the records I own from Africa have been taken already. Not complaining though, this album is fire. It was actually the very first record I got from VMP. For better or for worse...

BF410498-8383-43B4-9DFE-35977DE5BE51.jpeg

Some real 🔥 among the African choices - fabulous stuff, and just what I needed to warm up in the -15 chill here.

Day 4 - drummer

TP Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou Benin - Disco Reveil

I'll add to the heat with this. I have two favourite drummers. I'll leave John Bonham for somebody else but I love how much personality he gets over into every track. My other favourite is Yehouessi Leopold of Poly-Rythmo. Poly-Rythmo are pretty rare not just in having recorded well over 500 songs (50+ albums, 200+ singles) but in letting every member of the band compose songs and albums. Vol 4 (my avatar, which is him, and which has just been reissued) is perhaps his best songs but this features two other crackers with more of a Latin flavour. This is one of their very best albums, and allows him to look sharp on the cover again...

20210204_171828.jpg

Back