February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Poly-Rythmo

Welcome to the February challenge thread! And congrats on making it through the first month of 2021, as unscathed as is possible. Thanks to @imtheocean for a great January.

My month isn't as creative but hopefully we can have some fun and most importantly play the music we love - there are some broad themes but perhaps more than anything it's an attempt from me to discover some of the records you really love, and why. As always, feel free to go off-piste in any way - and remember that much of the fun is in the stories behind the pick.

There will be a raffle at the end (prize and rules tbd but for my own sanity it will be pretty straightforward, and for my wallet perhaps something sent from somewhere other than Norway! But it will be something I love.) Kos dere!

Mon Feb 1 – Beer, sweat and sawdust
I miss gigs so much. Play your ultimate live album.

Tues 2 – Solo
Play your favourite album by a solo artist.

Wed 3 – Africa
Spin your favourite record from (or related to) Africa.

Thurs 4 – And on the drums…
Who’s your number one drummer?

Fri 5 – Cheapskate
Spin the album you have with the lowest max price on Discogs.

Sat 6 – Luxuriate
It isn’t always easy to play a boxset all the way through so use the weekend to play one of your faves.

Sun 7 – Celebration
Kool & The Gang hit number 1 today in 1981. Play your ultimate party anthem.

Mon 8 – You should have been there
Reminisce about your best ever gig, and play a record by that band.

Tues 9 – Duo
Spin your most cherished record made by just two people.

Wed 10 – Latin
Play the album you like the most with a Latin vibe, be it from La Paz or LA.

Thurs 11 – Do bass players get laid?
Double bass, electric bass, whatever – who’s your favourite player?

Fri 12 – Moneybags
Spin the single disc you have with the highest max value on Cogs.

Sat 13 – Strawberry Fields Forever
It was released on this day in 1967, and is my pick for best ever single. Play yours.

Sun 14 – Valentine’s Day
Play the most romantic/anti-romantic album you have (delete according to mood).

Mon 15 – If only
Spin something by the artist you would most have liked to see live but haven’t.

Tues 16 – Trio
Spin your fave album by a trio.

Wed 17 – Better than Bob?
What’s your best reggae record, Marley or otherwise?

Thurs 18 – Axe hero
Spin a record by your ultimate guitar hero.

Fri 19 –‘Ow much? Part I
Play your biggest ever bargain/cheapest record, and reveal what you paid for it.

Sat 20 – Vinterferie
In Norway, the one-week winter school holiday starts today. Play something suitably chilly.

Sun 21 – Wow me!
It’s my birthday so show off the coolest music thing you have (memorabilia, merch, record), and spin an associated record.

Mon 22 – I can’t wait
Play an album by the act you’re most looking forward to seeing when this damn pandemic is over.

Tues 23 – Quartet
The best album you know by a quartet.

Wed 24 – Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin released one of my most prized albums 55 years ago today. Play something by them (or some other classic rock).

Thurs 25 – Screaming banshee
Spin something by your favourite vocalist.

Fri 26 – ‘Ow much? Part II
Play your most expensive record, and reveal how much it cost you – if you dare.

Sat 27 – Sommerferie
February is renowned for being dark and cold, so it’s important to dream. Play the sunniest album you have.

Sun 28 – Shortest month
Play your shortest album (in terms of number of songs, total playing time, length of one song, whatever).

Oh, we're putting sunglasses on this month?

Fv1.gif

Ten months since my last live show. I was used to seeing 2 or 3 a month.

I'm jonesin'.

Live Music Is Better.

In the spirit of beer, sweat and hot, tiny rooms - the very best live venues - I'm going with my Alabama buddies Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, one of the very best live bands you'll ever see. When live music returns, I implore you to go see these guys. Their live shows are a religious experience.

@Lee Newman can vouch.

I've taped a bunch of LBIII&TGF shows and uploaded them to the LMA. They can all be streamed/downloaded at will. A couple favorite LBIII&TGF live show memories - seeing them play 3 shows in 19 hours across 2 states and seeing a 14 song set where 12 of the songs were brand new and unreleased. Love these guys. A link to all shows mentioned above and more below -

Folks that got turned on to the Country Westerns record - @Turbo @Endtro @Matt M @Mack37 off the top of my head - you need to explore LBIII&TGF.

This is a nice clip with some blazing live footage and a couple short interviews that illustrate Lee is a smart, engaging, together dude.

Lee Bains III + Glory Fires - Live At The Nick

20210131_232420.jpg

Last edited:

Prince "Live in Utrecht 6/20/87 from SOTT Box"

I love live music a lot and used to see many shows in my life. It's frustrating that it still may take several months or longer till this is possible again over here.

Prince is one of the greatest performers I've ever seen live. I've seen him perform twice. First in 2002 on the One nite alone tour in Oberhausen (just a few weeks before was the first and only time I was able to see David Bowie play, open air in Bonn). The other Prince show was an open air in Berlin in 2010. Such great gigs and both unforgettable.

IMG_20210201_081651.jpg

Day 1 - ultimate live album

Van Morrison - It's Too Late To Stop Now

So many choices I could have taken today - I love multiple live albums by everyone from Led Zeppelin and Miles Davis to Nirvana, Otis Redding, and EST. But this is my favourite - it has an energy that is hard to resist and everybody is just on it. I could almost have played this on the 21st as it has a pretty strong personal connection too - when I was just out of university I did something between an internship and a job at my local weekly paper. A few weeks in, I was asked to review Van Morrison who was playing in the local theatre (I come from a small town but one with a biggish theatre). I gave him a decent review, liking the gig (not as much as here) and a few days later, just before Christmas, I got a personal letter from him thanking me for my review and wishing me happy holidays. Given his reputation for being very grumpy, I was gobsmacked. It's still one of the absolute highlights of my career to this day.

20210201_083449.jpg

Mon Feb 1 – Beer, sweat and sawdust: I miss gigs so much. Play your ultimate live album.

Red Rocks Live

I got caught up in life and work in January, but should be back for February!

I played a few of my favorite live albums in recent challenges so I decided to go with a live album from the venue of one of my favorite shows, Red Rocks. While visiting my brother-in-law in Denver in the summer of '18 we all went to Red Rocks to see Lake Street Dive. It was one of the most memorable and amazing shows I've ever been to! They were so good, and the venue is just out of this world!

Mon Feb 1 – Beer, sweat and sawdust: I miss gigs so much. Play your ultimate live album.

I think it's been a year since my last show? I averaged 1-2 a month, and am definitely missing them and my crew of concert buddies. Although the thought of being packed up against strangers is going to take some getting used to as well once things return to a semblance of normal.

Easy pick today. This is by far my favorite live album by anyone. Tight musicianship, excellent quality recording, and the Help on the Way --> Slipknot! --> Franklins Tower that kicks it off is 🔥 .

Grateful Dead ~ One from the Vault

1612203549751.png

Ten months since my last live show. I was used to seeing 2 or 3 a month.

I'm jonesin'.

Live Music Is Better.

In the spirit of beer, sweat and hot, tiny rooms - the very best live venues - I'm going with my Alabama buddies Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, one of the very best live bands you'll ever see. When live music returns, I implore you to go see these guys. Their live shows are a religious experience.

@Lee Newman can vouch.

I've taped a bunch of LBIII&TGF shows and uploaded them to the LMA. They can all be streamed/downloaded at will. A couple favorite LBIII&TGF live show memories - seeing them play 3 shows in 19 hours across 2 states and seeing a 14 song set where 12 of the songs were brand new and unreleased. Love these guys. A link to all shows mentioned above and more below -

Folks that got turned on to the Country Westerns record - @Turbo @Endtro @Matt M @Mack37 off the top of my head - you need to explore LBIII&TGF.

This is a nice clip with some blazing live footage and a couple short interviews that illustrate Lee is a smart, engaging, together dude.

Lee Bains III + Glory Fires - Live At The Nick

View attachment 86308

One of the loudest shows I’ve ever been to was a Glory Fires show. I had to write “beam + rocks” on a napkin and hand it to the bartender because she couldn’t hear me over the band. So good.

Day 01: Beer, sweat and sawdust
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - At The Fillmore 1970
19A337EA-572A-46AE-A69E-0FB53CCE7BF2.jpeg

I figured this is an excellent bridge from last month’s challenge (thanks again, @imtheocean ). Also, I LOVE live Neil Young! So far, I have 4 of his NYA Live releases on wax and have my eye on adding more. His style and catalog of songs are so diverse his live recordings rival even the best jam bands have to offer. I unfortunately have never seen him preform live but he’s on my concert bucket list for sure.

Day 1 - Live

The live albums I reach for the most often are this one and Rory Gallagher’s Irish Tour. I think the reason is that they blow away their studio material - you really get the full live experience on these records.

B439A839-8AA3-41F8-919F-15A2DF0E99E8.jpeg

Day 1: Beer, Sweat and Sawdust

Otis Redding with Booker T & The MG’s and The Mar-Keys - Captured Live at the Monterey International Pop Festival

9587C544-B584-40AF-B9D5-F2A9336C4CB3.jpeg

It’s near-impossible to choose just one live album, but this one would definitely be up there!

I’d somehow hit burnout by last week so I wasn’t able to complete the January challenge (sorry @imtheocean). I’ll try my best to complete this month tho!

Day 01: Beer, sweat and sawdust
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - At The Fillmore 1970
View attachment 86358

I figured this is an excellent bridge from last month’s challenge (thanks again, @imtheocean ). Also, I LOVE live Neil Young! So far, I have 4 of his NYA Live releases on wax and have my eye on adding more. His style and catalog of songs are so diverse his live recordings rival even the best jam bands have to offer. I unfortunately have never seen him preform live but he’s on my concert bucket list for sure.

I will never get tired of listening to live versions of Cowgirl in the Sand. Spinning this one now. Or really, streaming through Neil's Archives site.

Back to participating in these.

Dexter Gordon - Walk the Blues

16122237166945140868807113643084.jpg

One of only two live records I own. Not particularly fond of live music on physical format, so I am unlikely to increase this total much, if at all.
Dexter Gordon has grown to become my favorite Blue Note musician, and this recording is superb. Recorded live at Jazzhus Montmatre, Copenhagen in July 21, 1967.

Back