February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Mon Feb 1 – Beer, sweat and sawdust
I miss gigs so much. Play your ultimate live album.

The Postal Service - Everything Will Change

Confession: I love live shows but generally am not really a big live album guy. I only have a couple of them on vinyl, and they have been used for recent monthly challenges, so instead I'm playing this recent digital-only release from TPS.

Capture+_2021-02-01-14-18-13.png

I probably hit at least 30 shows a year, this time has been depressing without it. It's probably the thing I need back the most. I just got this last week, but damn it's a fine live record. Probably the best sounding record I own.

319E258F-F9F6-49D6-B94F-B7AC68580F1E.jpeg

I miss gigs so much. Play your ultimate live album.

Pearl Jam - Live at Easy Street

02B86C2B-8B21-48FE-B485-EA4EDD864BE1.jpeg

The only record I own of a show I was in attendance. I honestly don’t remember much of it, just that there was a lot of Rainier beer and that I was standing next to Cameron Crowe

Given that Neil Young & Crazy Horse 'Live at the Fillmore 1970' was already taken (hat-tip to @TenderLovingKiller® )

Day One – Beer, sweat and sawdust

Margo Price - Perfectly Imperfect at the Ryman

IMG_0332.jpeg

I’ve seen Margo a handful of times, at Pickathon and in smaller local venues. One highlight was seeing her cover “Portland, Oregon” (Loretta Lynn w/Jack White) at Mississippi Studios here in Portland.

Last edited:
Tues 2 – Solo
Play your favourite album by a solo artist

Björk "Post"

This album is among my favorites by a solo artist. It's so good, musically and lyrically.
I still remember how I bought that album (on cd) on its release day in June 1995.
After absolutely loving "Army of me", I was so excited about listening to it, standing at a tram station being 17 years old and waiting to get home, in a time where there was no internet and steaming services to listen to something before buying. And the album didn't disappoint.

I also have nice memories of listening to it walking along the beach in the Netherlands or being on a summer holidays flight to Ireland. Still one of my favorite albums. ❤️

IMG_20210202_074051.jpg

Tues 2 – Solo
Play your favourite album by a solo artist.

Julia Holter - Loud City Song

16122574605526462744886322107409.jpg

My favorite solo artist, and I only came across her music (with this album being my introduction) almost four years ago. I have her to endlessly thank for being my portal to exploring the realms of ambient, classical, avant-garde, experimental, art pop, spoken word, jazz, and even extending to the world of electronic music. This album is singlehandedly the reason why I am becoming more invested in music as a form of art and most importantly instilling an atmosphere, which Julia has successfully captured on each record of hers. Perhaps another will be brought forth into the world this year.

Day 2 - solo

Adem - Homesongs

I used to have a side gig in reviewing concerts for a national paper. And I used to get sent dozens of crap CDs each week (many of them CD singles, often by novelty acts). The only CD I got that I actually decided to play was this one. I still don't really know why I played it or why it looked appealing (the promo CD cover was crap, much less intriguing) but I'm so glad I did. I love releases by Otis, Aretha, Marvin, Jeff Buckley etc etc but of all the solo releases this still speaks to me most. It's UK nu-folk (kind of -tronica as Adem used to be with Kieran Hebden in Fridge) and to me very soothing and peaceful. Adem plays pretty much everything on it (as well as three v good follow-up releases). He also plays a mean cover of God Only Knows on the ukelele.

20210202_131027.jpg

Back