February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Tues 2 – Solo
Play your favourite album by a solo artist.

Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness

Confession: on these challenges, whenever I see the word "favorite" I pretend there's an "a" in front of it.

20200210_143229-jpg.32383

Day 2 - Solo

Gia Margaret - Mia Gargaret

One of my favorite releases from last year. Really beautiful/unique ambient album. Her first LP was singer-songwriter stuff in the “boygenius” vein - not bad, but her ambient music is really standout stuff. I hope she continues to explore this direction.

2B1C336E-1803-4DC4-AEDA-29D2D09B0E1B.jpeg

Tues 2 – Solo
Play your favourite album by a solo artist (...from this year)

Buck Meek - Two Saviors

View attachment 86546

I’m surprised by the lukewarm response to this album, but sometimes a record just resonates because it hit me at the right time. Already gonna be a tough one to beat this year for me
I just downloaded based off your best of 2021 rec. I haven’t listened to it yet but I have always thought his guitar was the most interesting part of Big Thief.

I just downloaded based off your best of 2021 rec. I haven’t listened to it yet but I have always thought his guitar was the most interesting part of Big Thief.
Give it a couple listens... half way through the second time is when it really clicked. By the way, I bought kiwi jr today, based on your recommendation! Good trade!

Tues 2 – Solo

Son House — Father of the Delta Blues: The Complete 1965 Sessions

image.jpg

This has got to be one of my favorite albums from a solo artist. Spending so many of my formative years (college, residency) in Mississippi has given me such a respect, love, and appreciation for the Delta blues and Son House is the embodiment of it all.

Give it a couple listens... half way through the second time is when it really clicked. By the way, I bought kiwi jr today, based on your recommendation! Good trade!
Oh man, I'm one track in and I am getting a huge Clem Snide vibe, His singing voice is very Eef Barzelay-esqe. This is a wonderful thing. I am already looking it up on Discogs. Thanks for the recommendation.

EDIT: Maybe Eef crossed with Vic Chesnutt, Again not a bad thing.
DOUBLE EDIT: and a tiny bit Nick Drake.

Last edited:
I looked ahead and saw how many days have "best" and "favorite" in their prompts and now I'm freaking out.
Sorry, didn't realise it was controversial! I must admit to having to use a thesaurus to find alternatives for "favourite"! As always, interpret each theme exactly as you want. And I picked the themes without thinking of the answers for me, and I've already found it trickier than I thought to pick...

Back