February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Day 4: Hear the Drummer Get Wicked.

I've seen Mickey Hart in a number of configurations outside the Grateful Dead, and he never fails to impress with the quality and global diversity of drummers he surrounds himself with. He's constantly evolving and experimenting.

Mickey Hart ~ RAMU (2018 RSD Version)

1612466950854.png

Day 4 - And on the drums...

The two drummers I thought of first have already been played (Jimmy Chamberlin and Janet Weiss), so I figured I’d highlight Idris Muhammad and his masterful playing on this record:

BF8D55B9-110D-4185-9D5A-158B687DD5AF.jpeg

He somehow keeps up with Pharoah’s insanely passionate playing (and screaming) and still has the energy for a ripping solo:

Day 4 - Favorite Drummer

20210204_182117.jpg

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Mick Fleetwood

I of course was gonna spin this anyways today in honor of its 44th birthday! But let's take this time to appreciate Mick's drumming on this album! I feel like his contribution often gets overshadowed by Buckingham Nick's and it's not right. Mick (and john mcvie) are the backbone to this band

Thurs 4 – And on the drums…

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

I love Meg’s drumming. Love it. I think she’s seriously underrated and doesn’t get the attention she deserves.

View attachment 86813
Me too! I almost went this route her primitive banging is what makes the White Stripes standout IMO.

Day Four - And on the drums...

Quasi - Featuring "Birds"

My number one drummer is Janet Weiss. I have always claimed that Janet could make any band better, and I stand by that. Most know her from her time with Sleater-Kinney and/or her stint with Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks. Both worthy bands, no doubt. That said, Quasi, Janet's earlier band with ex-husband Sam Coomes (previously in Heatmiser with Elliott Smith), is my favorite of hers. I've easily seen them 20 or more times over the years. Featuring "Birds" is a top 10 desert island album for me. Written shortly after their marriage dissolved, the lyrics have extra resonance and they are just pouring 100% of their grief and joy into each and every song. It's a masterpiece, highly recommended.

8501D46E-D6DA-4BFE-A98E-984C534A76D7_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 4 - And on the drums....John Bonham.

My very first inspiration to become a drummer was Bun E Carlos, but my first teacher was Bonham. I didn’t have formal instruction, instead I sat on my kit between my dad’s giant speakers and played along to Zeppelin albums, Physical Graffiti most of all, to the best of my ability anyway. I really learned some things about adding musicality and funk into rock drumming, Some of his beats help tell a story through the song, with In My Time of Dying being a great example of that. He has played some simple but iconic beats, like Communication Breakdown and funky shuffly masterpieces like Fool in the Rain. Sometimes it’s the small choices he makes that help a song, like the switch to the ride cymbal at about the 4:45 mark in Stairway to Heaven. I can’t say he’s the best drummer ever, probably not even the best rock drummer, but I still love listening to him play all these years later.

I was going to go with Bill Bruford, a true genius and another drum hero of mine, but decided to go with my earliest major inspiration as the main qualifier.

If you hadn’t noticed, I love this topic! I’m digging all these posts.

Also, did you know there’s a drum thread?
Thread 'Drummers Drumming Drums'
Drummers Drumming Drums

18DCB67D-C512-47A5-A532-3D05AB800497.jpeg

Day 5: Spin the album you have with the lowest max price on Discogs.

I have over 100 releases that haven't sold at at all, but this is the lowest Vinyl LP that at it's highest (at least highest of the last 10 sales) was $2.99

Screenshot 2021-02-05 015933 (2).jpg

The Nice ‎– Autumn To Spring
Charisma ‎– CAS 1, 1973

Cut by Robin C. Kruse at Bell Sound
Pressed at PRC

b9DCUd.jpg

iMP30B.jpg

Day 3 - Africa

Afro-Beat Airways
Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou - The Vodoun Effect

I feel you @LeSamourai on a day like today - picking my favourite here is like choosing my favourite child! So I chickened out and went for two. I listened to a fair bit of African music before especially after my time in Paris and North-African groups like Orchestre National de Barbes. But these two compilations from Analog Africa from 2009 and 2010 really pushed me into it head first. They're such great introductions to Ghanaian highlife, and the wonders of Poly-Rythmo and all their different types of rhythm. Even more remarkably the Poly-Rythmo tracks are recorded with only one or two microphones and still sound amazing.

View attachment 86567
Analog Africa just announced a repress of this today for Bandcamp Friday (and their latest compilation Edo Funk also sounds great)

Back