February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Sat 27 – Sommerferie
February is renowned for being dark and cold, so it’s important to dream. Play the sunniest album you have.

It was a beautiful day
The sun beat down
I had the radio on
I was drivin'
Trees flew by
Me and Del were singin'
Little Runaway
I was flyin'

Thanks for everything Tom.

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever

20210227_000616.jpg

Day 27 - sommerferie

Dona Onete - Rebujo

II'm writing this from a mountain hut surrounded by a metre thick of snow, so I don't feel particularly summery. But this album is one of the sunniest, most joyous discs I have - and performed by an 80-year-old (now 81) to boot. I absolutely love it.

20210223_201907.jpg

Catchup

Sun 21 – Wow me!
It’s my birthday so show off the coolest music thing you have (memorabilia, merch, record), and spin an associated record.

First of all, belated Happy Birthday to the great @Poly-Rythmo 🎉🎂

In 2019 my boyfriend and me had the fun idea to send a nice encouraging letter to Billie Eilish in California. Somehow I managed to find out what seemed to have been her home address (she still lives with her parents) and gave it a try.

Living in Germany, I actually didn't even think that our letter would arrive, but it did obviously and only a few weeks later we had a nice signed autograph in our mail. The words above are a copy of what she has written on the backside.

IMG_20210227_084604.jpg

Billie Eilish "Don't smile at me"

IMG_20210227_082822.jpg

Catchup

Sun 21 – Wow me!
It’s my birthday so show off the coolest music thing you have (memorabilia, merch, record), and spin an associated record.

First of all, belated Happy Birthday to the great @Poly-Rythmo 🎉🎂

In 2019 my boyfriend and me had the fun idea to send a nice encouraging letter to Billie Eilish in California. Somehow I managed to find out what seemed to have been her home address (she still lives with her parents) and gave it a try.

Living in Germany, I actually didn't even think that our letter would arrive, but it did obviously and only a few weeks later we had a nice signed autograph in our mail. The words above are a copy of what she has written on the backside.

View attachment 89722

Billie Eilish "Don't smile at me"

View attachment 89723
So cool

Catch-up time!

Fri 19 –‘Ow much? Part I
Play your cheapest record, and reveal what you paid for it.

9E8EBB5D-3A63-4754-A13C-F0792EC5797A.jpegF4409587-DF03-4CB2-9085-472FA8D9CD49.jpeg

Headsverse connection:

"Reverend Maceo Woods And The Christian Tabernacle Choir – The Dynamic Reverend Maceo Woods And The Christian Tabernacle Choir In Concert
Reverend Maceo Woods was really the way I discovered gospel music. I was in the Bahamas recording with Talking Heads, the first album I did with them [More Songs About Buildings And Food] and I used to listen to the radio in my little apartment I had there before we started recording, and I'd tune into these distant mainland American stations and one morning I tuned into this song, which was called 'Surrender To The Wheel'. I thought, "Wow! What does that mean?" and those words kept going round in my head, it sounded so sort of Inquisition and medieval or on the other hand, cosmic. Surrender to the cosmic wheel of things. Anyway, I didn't record the song but I could remember the chorus, so I remember going into shops singing it to people and finally someone said, "Oh, that's not 'surrender to the wheel', that's 'surrender to His will'!" [repeats in affected accent] "His weeyill!", and that's how I bought this album.

I loved this album so much, and in particular this one singer on it, this voice that just drove me insane. That was was Doris Sykes. So after buying all the Reverend Maceo Woods albums I could get – and they weren't that easy to get – I started thinking that, really, the thing was Doris Sykes, that was what I was interested in. She has this real insane vibrato, it's just dizzy, kind of mad. It's like somebody who is completely gone [laughs]. Something that you only ever hear in Gospel music really, and in early rock & roll you hear it sometimes as well. "

Sat 20 – Vinterferie
In Norway, the one-week winter school holiday starts today. Play something suitably chilly.

I love how this album starts all "chilly winter morning with a coffee mug" but gets warmer and warmer and by the end it's all "sunny day barbecue by the pool".

9A6ED16E-A333-4560-A2E3-96DDD6E90D41.jpeg

6 degrees from the Talking Heads: Haruomi later formed the Yellow Magic Orchestra with Ryuichi Sakamoto.
Ryuichi, Cong Su and David Byrne would win an Oscar for The Last Emperor's soundtrack in 1987.

Sun 21 – Wow me!

Happy belated birthday @Poly-Rythmo !

This book was a Kickstarter campaign that took forever to ship but, turned out really cool and, hey, my name is in there!

A69AEE52-54EC-498F-A559-ABADC5FDA0B5.jpeg1C5765C7-0C43-4F92-A732-4DCA61B644B4.jpeg3EC2235B-6AB3-46AE-82DD-AF3FF3D815C7.jpegECD4AC43-5B47-49DE-BABC-49AA411DFF2E.jpeg6CE2440E-3F2F-4EAF-9A07-B308E6719C30.jpeg

"You once said you’ve avoided a Talking Heads reunion because it would overshadow the other things you’ve done. Is it really that simple?
There’s a lot to that. I see what happens with other people when they do their reunions – and then it turns into a second reunion and a third reunion. With someone like the Pixies, it’s different – they’re getting the audience now that they deserved ages ago. But with a lot of them, it just seems like you don’t have anything new to say, and you go, “OK, this is just some kind of nostalgia exercise.” And I’m not interested in that."

Yes, I know

1614423475505.gif

Wed 24 – Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin released one of my most prized albums 55 years ago today. Play something by them (or some other classic rock).

As all the 4 Led Zeppelin albums I have are already played, I take "Baggers banquet", the classic Rolling Stones album.

IMG_20210227_083816.jpg

And this is a picture of me with the won t- shirt from the January challenge. It looks great. Thanks again so much to @imtheocean for sending this out to me in Germany, very much appreciated. :) The Casbah is a great small music club in San Diego.

IMG_20210226_120850.jpg

Mon 22 – I can’t wait
Play an album by the act you’re most looking forward to seeing when this damn pandemic is over.

Pearl Jam has played in Brazil a bunch of times and somehow I missed all of them.
I plan to ramp up my concert going once we have this shit storm under control and PJ is definitely a priority.

6422729A-44AE-46C1-95AD-79A9079EBBFA.jpeg

Wed 24 – Physical Graffiti
Led Zeppelin released one of my most prized albums 55 years ago today. Play something by them (or some other classic rock).

Some other classic rock

31138E19-3EF2-43DF-8958-8FAA86FB5E56.jpeg

Headsverse connection: Tom Tom Club opened for them!

From a Chris Frantz Interview:

"Jumping back to your RISD days for a moment, you describe seeing the Grateful Dead in a Quonset hut somewhere outside of Providence and being impressed with their sound system. Did you continue to see them on and off over the years?

No, although Tom Tom Club opened for the Grateful Dead on New Year’s Eve 1988-1989 at the Oakland Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. I had previously met Jerry Garcia in Montego Bay, Jamaica, at the One Word Festival in 1982. He was in really rough shape, but he was a nice guy.

Then, in 1988, Tom Tom Club did a run at CBGB, five nights a week for three weeks. The Dead were doing an extended run at Madison Square Garden at the same time, and Bob Weir would come down and see us. He’s a very nice guy and I’m pretty sure that’s how we got invited to open for the Dead.

After we played our set that night, one of their crew members came to our little dressing room and said, “The Dead would like for you to sit onstage with them while they perform.” We were like, “What?!” So we said, “OK.” They had a couch set up on the side of the stage, in full view of the audience, and we sat on that couch for their first few songs. Then, we had to split because we had two more shows to do that night. It was New Year’s Eve, and we were working hard at The Warfield Theatre. We did one show just before midnight and another show just after midnight. I don’t remember the second show that well. [Laughs.]"

Back