February 2021 Challenge (& Raffle)

Fri 26 – ‘Ow much? Part II
Play your most expensive record, and reveal how much it cost you – if you dare.

This is probably my most expensive non-boxset record. Came out in 2001 and was only released on LP in Europe. It got a repress on fancy color vinyl last RSD.

Didn't pick up an original copy til a good while after it's release. Laid out $125. It's currently $182/$234/$352 on Discogs so I guess I did OK with a NM copy.

The Black Crowes - Lions

20210226_013153.jpg

Last edited:
Day 26 - 'ow much? part II

Antoine Dougbe and Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou

FFor a very long time, I refused to pay more than £10 for a record. About half my collection was got this way. Then I started buying new vinyl and became used to paying a bit more, even though it still bothers me. When I started buying African vinyl, I was also pretty disciplined but after a while to get some records you just have to pay up. This one is, by some distance, the one I paid the most for - €130. It's on Discogs for £70/£170/£200 so it wasn't a bargain but the record plays incredibly well, and the music, well, that's amazing too.

20210223_212139.jpg

Mon 22 – I can’t wait
Play an album by the act you’re most looking forward to seeing when this damn pandemic is over.

Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee

16143233570044944520474017843401.jpg

Thank you to @Teeeee for pointing her out. An artist that would've passed me by had it not been for N&G. I still have a ticket rescheduled all the way to August to see her in Portland.

Thurs 25 – Screaming banshee
Spin something by your favourite vocalist.

Björk - Post

16143306518988011012271504989586.jpg

For the longest time, this was the only Björk album I listened to in my teens. At the time, her music seemed too strange and out there for me to enjoy and understand. She has since been a vital influence on my tastes (especially her early period) in regards to art pop and electronic music as I've listened to her work over the past decade. With the experimental tastes that I have recently acclimated to among my musical palette, her music has now become incredibly accessible in contrast to the aforementioned adventurous music I've given attention to.

2814 - 新しい日の誕生 [Birth of a New Day]

16143335332621699314230796244615.jpg

My #20 all time. This one cost just shy of $60 to secure the reissue from Dream Catalogue, shipping and VAT included. I will never pay over this price tag for any one album or boxset. The preorder was open for a full month upon its announcement and despite this being one of my white whales, I ended up waiting three weeks into the month before submitting my payment. Still felt like I was throat punched afterwards.
All that said, I am elated to have this album in my ambient library. Considering I have > 90% of my top50 now in my LP collection (with one arriving at my doorstep in a few days), I don't see myself coming close to this self-imposed limit for any item in the future.

Fri 26 – ‘Ow much? Part II: Play your most expensive record, and reveal how much it cost you – if you dare.

Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends (Test Press)

I'm actually not proud of the price that younger/dumber me agreed to ($125), but still think it's pretty cool to have this Test Pressing of Taking Back Sunday - Tell All Your Friends. I also had someone on a different vinyl forum I used to frequent design and create this alternate cover art for me ($25). At the time this was my favorite album (still in my top 15 today) and I had a full Taking Back Sunday collection going. I've since sold most of these off, but will hold on to this test pressing forever and it'll likely be the only one I ever buy as my vinyl priorities have since shifted.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

I bought this, I think, in January of 2019 when I had a gift card burning a hole in my pocket and before I'd picked up the Dylan mono box (which includes this album in a quality I'm sure I would have been fine with for the rest of my life). It was $69.99 new (basically standard for a 2LP MoFi up here), which is more than I will spend on probably any other album ever, but I justified it since it's a top-2 album all-time for me and I figured I'd lose my chance soon enough. Well, fast forward two years and it's out of stock and going for $200+, so I'm glad I grabbed it when I did, even if it was an indulgence.

(I also played this album for day 13, though I played the 1xLP for that one.)

PXL_20210226_143818999.jpg

Excluding box sets and TMR Vault packages, I have bought a few Analogue Productions, two Stevie Ray Vaughans, and Headhunters. Most recently, I paid $55 for each of the SRV. $55 is pretty much the standard rate for these.

Since the Sky is Crying and Soul To Soul have already been played this month, here's ....

Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble ‎– Texas Flood

PXL_20210226_162102301.jpg

Radiohead "In Raibows" (2007 _Xurbia_Xendless Limited, 2x45rpm diskbox edition)

If I omit multi-album box sets, my most expensive single album purchase is this one which I made recently. Ended up paying CDN$170 for a pristine mint copy, which I consider is really good considering it goes well over CDN$250 these days. Too bad I didn't get on this a few years ago when they were more reasonably available, but no regrets. I figure this is totally worth the price of a One Step or the equivalent considering how amazing it sounds. Plus the package is excellent.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

Day 26: ‘Ow much? Part II
I am gonna have to echo @Turbo here...
Radiohead - In Rainbow Diskbox
F16196AB-51E8-45C4-9A41-CD51C1AE007A.jpeg

Easily the most I ever paid for a single album that wasn’t a box set (though technically it still is kind of a box set but I digress) I didn’t set out to purchase it, I was just digging through the stacks at my local records store and noticed this recent Edition to their “Collector’s Wall” the price was around $100 but thankfully I had a 20% off punch card ready to use so it brought the price down to $80. Based on the going rate I thing I still did alright. Also the hype is real. The set sound phenomenal.
531ED008-E40D-4373-B6F2-05B6A8806BF1.jpeg

Day 26 - Ow Much Vol 2

20210226_152823.jpg

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.

I never really spent too much on an individual record. Usually like 50 or 60 shipped is my high limit for a single record and I haven't gone over that yet (although I've been tempted before lol)

This is one of the pricier ones because it come from Australia, but even then I dont think it was too crazy.

Also a perfect day to spin this since I'm also spending time with their follow up to it!

Day 26: ‘Ow much? Part II

Not counting The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo box my wife bought me - or any other box set, the most that I can remember spending on a single record was $70.00. This really isn't a $70 record, but it was more of a nostalgia purchase, as this was my first album I got on CD (my 2nd was Hammer - 2 Legit 2 Quit...and I'm not nostalgic enough to want that on vinyl). I then had to buy a CD player, as I didn't get one with them on Christmas.

Various ‎– Pump Up The Volume (Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
MCA Records ‎– MCA-8039, 1990

DMM cut at Precision Disc Mastering

q5yMyy.jpg

Evncsg.jpg

This just got a bluray release this past week....finally can dump the old snapper case DVD.

Although...they photoshopped the cigarette out of his hand.
GsGsUW.jpg

Last edited:

Super Furry Animals - Radiator

I think this was the most I ever spent on an album- $40. But, I was willing to spend that much thanks to a gift card I had, so I actually spent $20 out of pocket.

20201029_154116-jpg.72568

Back