Everything Video Games!

After I asked that, I searched “why do people like Final Fantasy so much?” And I found that, like you said, every game is very different which is surprising to me. Do they all have the same basic premise of having a squad traveling around in a new world?
A lot of them have a main character that's like a poor troublemaker type and then eventually you assemble a ragtag group of characters to save the world. Good bit of variation within that though.

I'd recommend VI, VII, IX, XII. Those are all really great. Combat in those first three is really similar, turn based in a separate battle "room" while XII is sort of turn based without having a separate battle room.

A lot of them have a main character that's like a poor troublemaker type and then eventually you assemble a ragtag group of characters to save the world. Good bit of variation within that though.

I'd recommend VI, VII, IX, XII. Those are all really great. Combat in those first three is really similar, turn based in a separate battle "room" while XII is sort of turn based without having a separate battle room.
I second all these recommendations. FWIW VI is in my personal top 3 games of all time.

An angry Naughty Dog developer has leaker pretty much all of The Last of Us, Pt. 2 online. Entire story spoilers.

Not saying they were in the right at all (sucks for the lower level workers who have been working on it, and the folks who have waited a long time for the story), but hopefully this represents a watershed moment in developer's rights. Naughty Dog has treated their employees like garbage and Covid seems to have been the straw that broke the camel's back.
Apparently they weren't actually a disgruntled employee:

Doesn't seem like the pay issues are genuine but crunch is still a big issue.

Apparently they weren't actually a disgruntled employee:

Doesn't seem like the pay issues are genuine but crunch is still a big issue.

This is something I've been wrestling with for several years now, as many AAA game developer stories like this come up. It's honestly led me to buy far less AAA games, because I just can't bring myself to support this kind of development approach.

I am so happy to see that Streets of Rage 4 is getting good reviews. I was a Sega Genesis kid - we were not a Super Nintendo house (although retrospectively I believe Super Nintendo was a better system) or one of those fancy pants kids who had both.

I loved SoR 1&2 (3 is good too but I ended up playing it years later) and will still play them on the Steam Sega emulator. Also, the soundtracks! One of the few video game soundtracks I've bought on vinyl (thanks DataDisc!).

Unfortunately, my 2-in-1 has an integrated graphics card and isn't meant for gaming. But I can't wait to clean up Wood Oak City when I'm back to my desktop!
Seems 4 got a release via LimitedRun yesterday if you didn’t know. Variant sold out in 3 minutes but it’s open preorder for a bit on the regular copy.

the Kickstarter Wonderful 101 physical release has been delayed due to Coronavirus so they offered everyone an immediate Steam download... unfortunately I don't have a Steam account or a PC for playing games, so if anyone wants the Steam code for Wonderful 101 hit me up and it's yours.

first come, first served

the Kickstarter Wonderful 101 physical release has been delayed due to Coronavirus so they offered everyone an immediate Steam download... unfortunately I don't have a Steam account or a PC for playing games, so if anyone wants the Steam code for Wonderful 101 hit me up and it's yours.

first come, first served
Ooh, I'm interested!

I never heard of Lonely Mountains: Downhill before today, but now that I have heard of it I definitely want this game!

So this last of us 2 drama

Lots of casual transphobia and angry gamer™ syndrome

My girlfriend and I finally played through What Remains of Edith Finch last night. What a fantastic experience.

Holy hell, the back story of Lewis where it goes POV of his job at the salmon cannery and he starts daydreaming about his fantasy world that plays as an evolution of RPGs.........shit man, that was something special.

Expect nothing less from the best fan base community there is. /s
I mean fuck naughty dog and the crunch

And the leaked story does not even look great

But it feels like they are very close to saying "THEY TARGETED GAMERS.... GAMERS!!!!!"

I mean fuck naughty dog and the crunch

And the leaked story does not even look great

But it feels like they are very close to saying "THEY TARGETED GAMERS.... GAMERS!!!!!"
I mean yeah, Naughty Dog deserves criticism for their work culture, sure.

In my opinion, it seems like it's going to be one of the most transgressive stories in video game history. But that's going to be subjective.

My initial point though was that self-proclaimed gamers are easily the most infantile, toxic, and embarrassing group of people on the internet and it takes one look at an IGN comment section to prove it.

I'm obviously not criticizing anyone here, but the discourse surrounding TLoU2 has me feeling as distant from this hobby's community as I've ever felt.

Back