Everything Video Games!

If the PS5 is backward compatible and actually has 4k Blu-ray playback, I'm in.

I think the only thing the Switch really did new was have detachable tiny controllers, which is neat, and an HDMI output, right? I think the last console to do something really new was the Wii. It is an interesting case too, because it didn't really change much in the industry. I guess PS and Xbox tried to copy it but both of their copies flopped.

Seamless docking/undocking, with separate power profiles and output resolutions, is quite novel.

If the PS5 is backward compatible and actually has 4k Blu-ray playback, I'm in.

Seamless docking/undocking, with separate power profiles and output resolutions, is quite novel.
I think the news this week confirmed the 4k blu ray. Didn't see any reiteration of backwards compatibility but Cerny said it would be for PS4 at least in the past.

I agree that that is technologically impressive but to the layperson, it still feels like plugging and unplugging an HDMI out.

I think the news this week confirmed the 4k blu ray. Didn't see any reiteration of backwards compatibility but Cerny said it would be for PS4 at least in the past.

I agree that that is technologically impressive but to the layperson, it still feels like plugging and unplugging an HDMI out.

I think the fact that the console sold like hotcakes for two years entirely on the basis of that functionality speaks to its efficacy. It was certainly a selling point for me. Being able to play Zelda on the TV and then seamlessly switch to playing on the couch when my wife wants to watch something? Gamechanger.

so lets talk about this cuphead clone everyone was talking about a bit ago

and yeah its definitely a cuphead rip off (classic 20s-30s jazz music, EXACT run and gun boss rush game, etc.) but the animation though good is clearly not as good as cuphead... it doesn't quite have the right amount of squash and stretch besides a slight bit of it, and a lot of the stuff feels more.... mechanical, not as loose as the 1930s style they want to adapt

so lets talk about this cuphead clone everyone was talking about a bit ago

and yeah its definitely a cuphead rip off (classic 20s-30s jazz music, EXACT run and gun boss rush game, etc.) but the animation though good is clearly not as good as cuphead... it doesn't quite have the right amount of squash and stretch besides a slight bit of it, and a lot of the stuff feels more.... mechanical, not as loose as the 1930s style they want to adapt

It's like they didn't even try to make an original idea.

the one song playing during the trailer lacks the pizzazz that cuphead had, animations are lacking, also looks like the gameplay is pretty easy, but I guess we won't know unless the game is funded.

i want to almost give these guys the benefit of the doubt because they're a small indie studio that probably spent years working on this. But at the same time, they knew cuphead was a thing in fucking 2015.

Last edited:
Grabbed Link's Awakening yesterday. Borrowed Astral Chain from a friend (it's badass). Still making my way through Fire Emblem. With Pokemon next month, Switch is pretty much my main system for at least the rest of the year.

(Still might have to get Death Stranding and renew for FFXIV too tho)

So, for the third year in a row, my brother and I are heading down to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this week. I always look forward to the massive free play arcade and pinball games, and there's a bunch of great stuff to see in their museums and displays.

It's also a massive floor with vendors selling retro games by the boat load. I've taken to saving up through the year for it, and this year I'm going to have my eye out for a good condition translucent coloured N64 console. I've got a list of a few N64 games to look for if I do find a console, but anyone have any left-of-center faves I should keep my eye out for?

Also, the first year I went, there was a dude with a massive crate of video game vinyl. Last year, I saw practically nothing. I want this year to be more like the first year.... 🧐

So, for the third year in a row, my brother and I are heading down to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this week. I always look forward to the massive free play arcade and pinball games, and there's a bunch of great stuff to see in their museums and displays.

It's also a massive floor with vendors selling retro games by the boat load. I've taken to saving up through the year for it, and this year I'm going to have my eye out for a good condition translucent coloured N64 console. I've got a list of a few N64 games to look for if I do find a console, but anyone have any left-of-center faves I should keep my eye out for?

Also, the first year I went, there was a dude with a massive crate of video game vinyl. Last year, I saw practically nothing. I want this year to be more like the first year.... 🧐
Blast Corps was always one of my faves.

Blast Corps was always one of my faves.
Lucky! I wish I could go this year.

Anyways, a few of my fav. titles on N64 that often get overlooked. I haven't played some of these in a long time, so they may not have aged well. The Goemon games still hold up though.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Goemon's Great Adventure
Mischief Makers
Space Station Silicon Valley
Snowboard Kids 1&2
Doom 64 - the remaster is getting it some new attention. Also, I think the cart is red.
Spider-Man - Another cool red cart.
Harvest Moon 64
Rampage and Rampage 2
Rayman 2 - If nothing else, for the green cart.
Resident Evil 2 - I think most people forget that this was on the console, because the PS version is the better one. Mostly a collector's thing here.
Worms Armageddon

Also, if you see Clayfighter for inexpensive scoop it up. Those tend to go for a mint online, especially Sculptor's Cut, which was only available for rent through Blockbuster.

The Outer Lands reviews are getting me hyped.
The only reason I'm playing this is cause its coming with Game Pass. I have tried playing Fallout 3, NV and 4 and while 4 held my attention the most, I didn't finish it. Hopefully this one will change my mind on the whole game type.

Been eatin' up some games lately....

Played through Katana Zero twice....seriously fun, fast-paced and at times challenging game with sick vaporwave soundtrack and really good story

Played Limbo and then Inside. Limbo was good. Inside took everything from Limbo and smoothed it out. I found the puzzles more difficult in Limbo but Inside more enjoyable.

Got Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together but haven't really got into those. Played a lil' of the single player Don't Starve - it's good but got other stuff I'm digging.

Downloaded and played through Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3 to get my fix in anticipation SoR 4 coming soon

Downloaded but have yet to play Witcher (yes, the first one; yes I'm way behind but keep hearing good things and don't wanna start at the third one)

Currently spending most of my time playing Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor (I heard the follow-up ...of War isn't quite as good). I like it so far. A bit bloated (i.e. a lot of side missions and character building) and if the way I play something like, say Borderlands, I'll end up trying to do every single part. I like the fighting system - very reminiscent of Prince of Persia/Arkham series but when you get to fighting some of the Uruk captains the baddies just start piling on like you're a greased up pole and there's a leg of ham at the top.

Speaking of Borderlands, anyone have an opinion of 3? I liked the first two and will prob get the 3rd when Steam has a sale/price drops. Just this far in a series sometimes games take the best stuff and just pack on more and more without adding real value (recent example: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - didn't really improve upon Rise except maybe w/ the stealth; still a good game but just stuffing that sack till the seams bust)

Been eatin' up some games lately....

Played through Katana Zero twice....seriously fun, fast-paced and at times challenging game with sick vaporwave soundtrack and really good story

Played Limbo and then Inside. Limbo was good. Inside took everything from Limbo and smoothed it out. I found the puzzles more difficult in Limbo but Inside more enjoyable.

Got Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together but haven't really got into those. Played a lil' of the single player Don't Starve - it's good but got other stuff I'm digging.

Downloaded and played through Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3 to get my fix in anticipation SoR 4 coming soon

Downloaded but have yet to play Witcher (yes, the first one; yes I'm way behind but keep hearing good things and don't wanna start at the third one)

Currently spending most of my time playing Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor (I heard the follow-up ...of War isn't quite as good). I like it so far. A bit bloated (i.e. a lot of side missions and character building) and if the way I play something like, say Borderlands, I'll end up trying to do every single part. I like the fighting system - very reminiscent of Prince of Persia/Arkham series but when you get to fighting some of the Uruk captains the baddies just start piling on like you're a greased up pole and there's a leg of ham at the top.

Speaking of Borderlands, anyone have an opinion of 3? I liked the first two and will prob get the 3rd when Steam has a sale/price drops. Just this far in a series sometimes games take the best stuff and just pack on more and more without adding real value (recent example: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - didn't really improve upon Rise except maybe w/ the stealth; still a good game but just stuffing that sack till the seams bust)
I'm slowly working on Borderlands 3 with my wife. I've also been playing through 2 again solo at the same time, so I've been able to directly compare. Haven't done much solo yet, and I like to play both so I can play multiple characters/play styles as well as take in the lore at a slower pace by myself. That being said, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far in my maybe 10-15 hours of game play. There's a ton of little quality of life and graphical additions that are fun for fans of the previous games. Ammo, money and Eridium now all pick up automatically. Going back to 2 sucks for that feature alone. The weapons seem more varied and there less of the "exact same gun but does different damage or has a different capacity so it's technically different"The weapons have a wider array of zoom, and bullet types. Many also have secondary modes, like grenade launcher attachments, or burst/auto selectors, or 2 elementals that you can switch between. I find myself changing guns out frequently just so I can try them all. Damage between them seems more balanced, I haven't found anything that feels super over powered. Enemies move more fluidly, so I find that spray and pray works better than sniping now. The enemies re-spawn really fast too, so there's almost always something to shoot just a short run away.

I don't have a ton of complaints so far. I think my biggest one is the menus are pretty laggy, and the sensitivity seems to be off. I'm playing on Xbox One, and have it fully maxed, and it doesn't feel like enough. I liken it to the controls of Halo 3, which also felt like I couldn't turn or look fast enough some times at max sensitivity. The other complaint is that the new major enemies aren't as compelling as Jack. With a few exceptions that I won't spoil, my main motivation to defeat them has been because they're annoying and in my way, not because they're constantly messing with me and the characters I played (the Mordecai bit in 2 killed me the first time), and nothing they've done thus far screams, "wow, that was some truly evil shit" like Jack did in 2. I'm hoping it comes later, and now that I think about it, they really ramped up Jack's villainy in the second half of the game.

I'm slowly working on Borderlands 3 with my wife. I've also been playing through 2 again solo at the same time, so I've been able to directly compare. Haven't done much solo yet, and I like to play both so I can play multiple characters/play styles as well as take in the lore at a slower pace by myself. That being said, I've enjoyed what I've seen so far in my maybe 10-15 hours of game play. There's a ton of little quality of life and graphical additions that are fun for fans of the previous games. Ammo, money and Eridium now all pick up automatically. Going back to 2 sucks for that feature alone. The weapons seem more varied and there less of the "exact same gun but does different damage or has a different capacity so it's technically different"The weapons have a wider array of zoom, and bullet types. Many also have secondary modes, like grenade launcher attachments, or burst/auto selectors, or 2 elementals that you can switch between. I find myself changing guns out frequently just so I can try them all. Damage between them seems more balanced, I haven't found anything that feels super over powered. Enemies move more fluidly, so I find that spray and pray works better than sniping now. The enemies re-spawn really fast too, so there's almost always something to shoot just a short run away.

I don't have a ton of complaints so far. I think my biggest one is the menus are pretty laggy, and the sensitivity seems to be off. I'm playing on Xbox One, and have it fully maxed, and it doesn't feel like enough. I liken it to the controls of Halo 3, which also felt like I couldn't turn or look fast enough some times at max sensitivity. The other complaint is that the new major enemies aren't as compelling as Jack. With a few exceptions that I won't spoil, my main motivation to defeat them has been because they're annoying and in my way, not because they're constantly messing with me and the characters I played (the Mordecai bit in 2 killed me the first time), and nothing they've done thus far screams, "wow, that was some truly evil shit" like Jack did in 2. I'm hoping it comes later, and now that I think about it, they really ramped up Jack's villainy in the second half of the game.
I like that auto pick up feature and the clearer distinction between weapons - I hate when they're so close in specs and you're eyeballing where the difference is. I eventually get to a point where I have a couple weapons that I like and just start ignoring whatever else I grab.

Mordecai....too soon. That was my jam on 1. Good to know you're enjoying. I'll def pick it up somewhere down the line.

I like that auto pick up feature and the clearer distinction between weapons - I hate when they're so close in specs and you're eyeballing where the difference is. I eventually get to a point where I have a couple weapons that I like and just start ignoring whatever else I grab.

Mordecai....too soon. That was my jam on 1. Good to know you're enjoying. I'll def pick it up somewhere down the line.
I played 1 and 2 that way as well, using a couple of weapons I like, and only really swapping out for better version. In 3 through I find myself swapping out guns all the time just to see what they do. I still try to keep something with each element at all times, but the type of weapon is frequently changing.

One thing I forgot to mention that I really like is that you can ragdoll enemies, especially with the shotgun. I hardly used them in 1 & 2, preferring to keep my distance. In 3, you can charge in and just start blasting, sending baddies flying and unable to attack temporarily. Really good for crowd control.

Back