Everything Video Games!

It's been a while since my last Isaac update. For completion sake, I'm now down to Dogma with Bethany, and everything with Jacob and Esau (dreading this one). Enough about that, let's talk about this incredible, virtually unbeatable Bethany run I had last night.

For those that haven't played as her, she has a couple of unique gimmicks. For one, she can only have red heart health. Soul/sprit hearts are used as charges for her spacebar item, which is a book that creates wisps that circle Bethany and fire shots. The book pairs with other spacebar items, and the wisp it creates has unique attributes based on the space bar item that's paired with it.

This run gave me some very overpowered items early, but it wasn't until near the end that I realized I couldn't be killed without tremendous error on my end. I got an early library that had multiple books for the bookworm transformation, and included Book of Shadows. This book gives temporary invincibility, and the synergy with Bethany's book created a wisp that was hard to kill each time. As far as tears go, I got a lot of tears up, Godhead (one of the most powerful items in the game) and Jacobs Ladder (electricity added to shots). I also had the Baby Bender trinket, so my wisp shots, as well as my own thanks to Godhead, had homing. I also had adrenaline, so even when I took damage it gave me more damage output. I ended up at mother with a Sun card (full heal), almost max health, and 46 soul hearts (11 uses of Book of Shadows). Mother didn't stand a chance, I just kept using the Book and firing. Might be one of the easiest wins I've ever had.

Can’t get over the Nintendo leak and these Wiimote prototypes
Didn't hear anything about the leak but these are wild! Would love to get a feel of some of these. #5 seems the most intriguing — is that a physical manifestation of an iPod scroll wheel or what?

Available tomorrow. Limited to 666, each signed by Tim Schafer.
View attachment 106419
Brutal Legend score available tomorrow.

Finished Resident Evil Village and I think it was just alright, not great, which, considering the potential the franchise has rn, is kind of disappointing.

It's a fun game for sure. Exploring the village and all the nooks and crannies is a great time. I like the new stuff they decided to do in this entry, though it did seem like they were throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick (vampires, werewolves, robot people, etc). A refreshing departure from zombies nonetheless.

Still though, pretty much every issue I had with Resident Evil 7 are still around in this one. The boss fights suck, the enemy variety is repetitive and the story feels half baked. They also seem to be heading back toward RE6 territory in terms of stupid, over the top action sequences. I much prefer the solitary horror of 7 and the earlier entries. The characters didn't really cut it this time around either. Lady Demitresque is the most exciting character they've come up with in years, and you kill her two hours in. Also, Ethan sucks! Who gave a shit about this dude! Nowhere near the likeability of characters like Leon or Claire or Jill, who I hope make a comeback next time.

I'm interested to see what they do next, but I feel like we're already pretty close to needing another soft reboot.

Finished Resident Evil Village and I think it was just alright, not great, which, considering the potential the franchise has rn, is kind of disappointing.

It's a fun game for sure. Exploring the village and all the nooks and crannies is a great time. I like the new stuff they decided to do in this entry, though it did seem like they were throwing shit at the wall to see what would stick (vampires, werewolves, robot people, etc). A refreshing departure from zombies nonetheless.

Still though, pretty much every issue I had with Resident Evil 7 are still around in this one. The boss fights suck, the enemy variety is repetitive and the story feels half baked. They also seem to be heading back toward RE6 territory in terms of stupid, over the top action sequences. I much prefer the solitary horror of 7 and the earlier entries. The characters didn't really cut it this time around either. Lady Demitresque is the most exciting character they've come up with in years, and you kill her two hours in. Also, Ethan sucks! Who gave a shit about this dude! Nowhere near the likeability of characters like Leon or Claire or Jill, who I hope make a comeback next time.

I'm interested to see what they do next, but I feel like we're already pretty close to needing another soft reboot.
See I loved it! The storyline, characters, gameplay, etc. RE7 Biohazard was a reboot to the franchise so if you didn't enjoy that game either, you certainly will not like RE9 which is in the same vein as the other two since it's the last installment of the trilogy.

Also curious to know if you prefer the first person perspective or third person like the OG.

See I loved it! The storyline, characters, gameplay, etc. RE7 Biohazard was a reboot to the franchise so if you didn't enjoy that game either, you certainly will not like RE9 which is in the same vein as the other two since it's the last installment of the trilogy.

Also curious to know if you prefer the first person perspective or third person like the OG.
I did like 7! Though I think it was flawed. They didn't fix the flaws with this one IMO is where the disappointment lies. I still really liked 8 too, there are some great moments (
House Beneviento is a high water mark for horror in the franchise, It's basically PT with a fucked up mutant baby, I still loved that bit.

I'm actually pretty cool with the first person, though I am partial to the over the shoulder 3rd person too. The OG multi camera angle thing can stay in the past.

Everything you said is true, but yet I still had a freaking great time. It was basically just RE4 v2.

Playdate Pre-Orders start on the 29th. I'm still on the fence on it, I feel like it's exactly something I will love but I have so many games yet to play on Switch that the thought of getting yet another (handheld) system with more games may not be the most prudent idea.

anyone here pre-ordering it?

Well everyone, I've done it. A 204 hour journey came to a close last night. I've finally finished Dragon Quest XI, and I cannot recommend it enough. The hours are a bit skewed, often when I had the game open towards the end grind I had the game open while doing other things. I'd estimate active play time was probably closer to 175-180 hours. That being said, I would consider my involvement in the game to be basic completion. I did the main story. I did all the side quests except one that I think was a preorder bonus, it never became available in the quest log. I did all the Tockington stuff. I got all characters to lvl. 99 and unlocked all outfits. I got all achievements. I got most of the best equipment. I did the optional story stuff that you can easily skip. I beat that bastard Timewyrm. Other than forging perfect weapons, seeing every enemy, and finding all the items, I pretty much did it all. Here's a quick review:

Every trope in anime and jrpgs is on full display in this game, yet it has so much goddamn heart and charm that you won't care. Battles are fun and there's a lot of different ways to approach a fight. You can craft weapons, armor and accessories, and there's a lot of outfit options. The story is typical JRPG fare, but has a lot of little twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there are some genuinely heartfelt and heartbreaking moments throughout. The final fights in the game are challenging, and there are additional difficulty modifiers that can make the game very hard if you want. The final fight felt just right in terms of difficulty, so I chose not to go beyond that.

I have three main complaints, and they are VERY nitpicky and don't really diminish the quality of the title at all:

1. Why the hell can't I EVER run from a fight? Even at max level against the weakest of enemies - who run from YOU in the overworld - I can't ever seem to flee.

2. Battles in Tickington are slow. These are throwbacks to the classic games, so it makes sense. Or let me run (see #1), as I didn't often need the XP from these battles. The speedup functionality seen in FFVII - IX would be great here.

3. Story related complaint:
While you are doing the trials near the end of the game, you get several wish options. One is to get married to your special someone. When you do this, you get a picture of the wedding and a little bonus scene with your spouse, but that's it. Everyone talks about how great the wedding was, but you never get to see it. Again, minorly frustrating, but not a deal breaker.

Playdate Pre-Orders start on the 29th. I'm still on the fence on it, I feel like it's exactly something I will love but I have so many games yet to play on Switch that the thought of getting yet another (handheld) system with more games may not be the most prudent idea.

anyone here pre-ordering it?
Strongly considering it, but also well aware of my backlog and limited time to play games (even if I wouldn't get a Playdate until late in the year). The quirk and novelty alone might make me bite, though.

Last edited:
Back