Everything Video Games!

About a month ago I set out to 100% Dark Souls 3. In that time, I finished my NG+3 (or 4) playthrough, then played through NG+4 (or 5) carefully, picking up any rings I'd missed and making sure to rescue/collect all the spell vendors (and not screw up their questlines).

Now I'm up to the final boss and have 2-3 rings I didn't pick up, while everything else is covenant rewards. Time to grind PvP. I'm short 7 rings, 2 pyromancies, 1 miracle, and 1 sorcery.

OH MY GOD, IT'S STEVIE RICHARDS.

I follow RGT85 as well, I also like Spawn Wave, but Scott The Woz is probably my favorite though he's not really about current, of the moment stuff but holy shit he makes me laugh
I occasionally watch Spawn Wave. I would also watch Metal Jesus and his clan but have backed off a bit. I’ve not heard of Woz before but I’ll check him out. My YT viewing habits are generally all over the place. I’m currently into Indian Street Food videos 🤪

I finished Final Fantasy 7 this weekend. I completely see why this game gets so much praise. It's now up there with FF 3/6 and 9 in terms of my favorites. Coming off of the Dragon Quest XI high that I was on, I expected my love for that game to lessen my enjoyment of this one, but that couldn't be far from the truth. They're too different to even compare. That being said, I CAN compare FF7 to the last FF game I played - FF 8. While I enjoyed my time with 8 for the most part, comparing it now to 7, there's no contest. FF 8 almost feels like a slap in the face coming after 7. Yes, the graphics and animations are much better, and at times the soundtrack can be better. However, the key component of these games, the characters and their stories, is done so much better in 7. I also kind of dig the goofy character models all around in 7, it gives it this weird charm, and you never know what you're going to get as the game progresses.

Alright, lets talk about all the things I liked in this game. I think the thing this game does best is the character stories. We get to see each characters motivations, a bit of their pasts, and arguably a little bit of growth (maybe less so with Vincent). I loved the parts with the Turks and the Shinra execs as well. For the most part, everyone ties together really well, and they seem real. I also like the Materia system and combat in general. Leveling up seemed to help you unlike in 8. I like that most of the combat systems (main attacks, magic, summons, etc) all seemed to have a place, and were viable to use in many situations. I also liked how open the game felt, even though it was linear for the most part, and how the vehicles keep you from going places you shouldn't. The side quests are meaningful and typically worth the time. Finally, the final battle is completely insane, like any good FF game. It makes little sense, especially when Sephiroth hits your team with solar flare. It's way over the top and a lot of fun. One question: does Cloud still get to use Omnislash here even if you haven't unlocked it?

Going back to the characters, I heard that the remake gives some of the side characters early on a much bigger role. I love this idea and I hope that some of the stuff outside of Midgar gets a big lore expansion as well. In particular, I'd love to get even more time with the Turks, and maybe a side part with Cait Sith to explore his motivations more. Finally, near the end of the game, Cloud tells everyone to leave the airship and take some time to explore why they're fighting. Some of these were explored throughout, like Barrett and Tifa, but Vincent, Cid and Yuffie could be heavily expanded. I'd really like to get a chance to go see what each character did during this time.

I honestly don't have much in terms of negatives to say here. Sure, the graphics are dated, and other than the Weapons the difficulty is a bit on the easy side, especially if you grinded out Aeris' final Limit Break for the Achievement/Trophy. But those are easy to ignore because everything else works really well. I think my biggest negative around this game is I don't know what I'm going to play next after back-to-back classics.

The latest news about Pokémon games and apps! Featuring announcements for: Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl, Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Pokémon GO, Pokémon Masters EX, Pokémon Café ReMix, and Pokémon HOME.

Legends looks like it could be pretty fun, but idk if I trust Gamefreak to really pull it off. Framerate was still holding on by a thread in these trailers. Hope it ends up being good.

BD/SP will be day 1s though. Lots of nostalgia to be had there, and the remakes look pretty good.

Gameplay looks fun, but it's wild that it legitimately looks like a lightly up-rezzed PS2 game. The game is gonna sell 20 million copies and looks like it was bashed together by a team of twelve.

Gameplay looks fun, but it's wild that it legitimately looks like a lightly up-rezzed PS2 game. The game is gonna sell 20 million copies and looks like it was bashed together by a team of twelve.
Yeah, we watched the trailer on our TV and those environments leave a lot to be desired.

This is what baffles me with Nintendo, however, part of the cartoonish-ness of all of their characters is their charm. A life-like Mario game would be so strange.

This is what baffles me with Nintendo, however, part of the cartoonish-ness of all of their characters is their charm. A life-like Mario game would be so strange.
First-party Nintendo games are generally top-notch technically and artistically (see: Luigi's Mansion 3, etc). Even when there are shortcomings, you can generally understand why the sacrifice was made (ie Mario Odyssey, which still looks really good, making cuts to assets to hit a smooth 60fps).

Arceus looks significantly worse than Breath of the Wild, an open world game developed for a previous generation system, or even Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a launch title that overperformed by selling approximately 10% lifetime what this Pokemon game will sell its first day. Hell, New Pokemon Snap looks a decade more advanced. Not to mention third-party games like Dragon Quest XI. And those games don't appear to struggle to hit 30fps.

It don't make sense.

Legends looks like it could be pretty fun, but idk if I trust Gamefreak to really pull it off. Framerate was still holding on by a thread in these trailers. Hope it ends up being good.

BD/SP will be day 1s though. Lots of nostalgia to be had there, and the remakes look pretty good.
I'm just frustrated that they keep moving further and further from what made the OG Pokemon games/generations so much fun: underneath the fluffy, kid-friendly patina is a pretty decent RPG experience. This looks to me more like Breath of the Wild or Monster Hunter where you catch some Pokemon.

I'm just frustrated that they keep moving further and further from what made the OG Pokemon games/generations so much fun: underneath the fluffy, kid-friendly patina is a pretty decent RPG experience. This looks to me more like Breath of the Wild or Monster Hunter where you catch some Pokemon.

Breath of the Wild is for sure the direction they are going. Gen 9 which is expected in 2022 even more so.

This is the direction of RPG games, and what many gamers have been asking for. The majority of people said Sword & Shield was a let down because they were expecting an open world experience like Breath of the Wild.

The games will still very much be RPG. And have tasks and missions to accomplish.

I'm fine with then actually trying new things. In fact, I prefer it. As fun as Sw/Sh were, they took almost no advantage of the potential risks that a mainline pokemon could take. The last at least 3 mainline games have been alternately lazy/deeply flawed or both. I'm excited for Pokemon to take a new direction, but Gamefreak has shown that they prefer not to invent the wheel, but they try to, they miss the mark. This is a pretty big leap for Pokemon, so we'll see if they're actualpy able to do it.

In regards to your inital post though, i feel that's why they're releasing these next two games so close to one another; to appease those who want both the old and new.

Breath of the Wild is for sure the direction they are going. Gen 9 which is expected in 2022 even more so.

This is the direction of RPG games, and what many gamers have been asking for. The majority of people said Sword & Shield was a let down because they were expecting an open world experience like Breath of the Wild.

The games will still very much be RPG. And have tasks and missions to accomplish.
But why can't they cater to my specific wants rather than the market's??

I find open world to be really overrated. I guess I'm feeling left behind here; I didn't bother with Sword and Shield because complaints made it like a really superficial experience and a lot of depth was lost in the attempt to make something like an open-world game.

Back