Everything Video Games!

Well everyone, I've done it. A 204 hour journey came to a close last night. I've finally finished Dragon Quest XI, and I cannot recommend it enough. The hours are a bit skewed, often when I had the game open towards the end grind I had the game open while doing other things. I'd estimate active play time was probably closer to 175-180 hours. That being said, I would consider my involvement in the game to be basic completion. I did the main story. I did all the side quests except one that I think was a preorder bonus, it never became available in the quest log. I did all the Tockington stuff. I got all characters to lvl. 99 and unlocked all outfits. I got all achievements. I got most of the best equipment. I did the optional story stuff that you can easily skip. I beat that bastard Timewyrm. Other than forging perfect weapons, seeing every enemy, and finding all the items, I pretty much did it all. Here's a quick review:

Every trope in anime and jrpgs is on full display in this game, yet it has so much goddamn heart and charm that you won't care. Battles are fun and there's a lot of different ways to approach a fight. You can craft weapons, armor and accessories, and there's a lot of outfit options. The story is typical JRPG fare, but has a lot of little twists and turns to keep you guessing, and there are some genuinely heartfelt and heartbreaking moments throughout. The final fights in the game are challenging, and there are additional difficulty modifiers that can make the game very hard if you want. The final fight felt just right in terms of difficulty, so I chose not to go beyond that.

I have three main complaints, and they are VERY nitpicky and don't really diminish the quality of the title at all:

1. Why the hell can't I EVER run from a fight? Even at max level against the weakest of enemies - who run from YOU in the overworld - I can't ever seem to flee.

2. Battles in Tickington are slow. These are throwbacks to the classic games, so it makes sense. Or let me run (see #1), as I didn't often need the XP from these battles. The speedup functionality seen in FFVII - IX would be great here.

3. Story related complaint:
While you are doing the trials near the end of the game, you get several wish options. One is to get married to your special someone. When you do this, you get a picture of the wedding and a little bonus scene with your spouse, but that's it. Everyone talks about how great the wedding was, but you never get to see it. Again, minorly frustrating, but not a deal breaker.
DQXI may be the culmination and perfection of the classic JRPG genre.

DQXI may be the culmination and perfection of the classic JRPG genre.
Agreed. It incorporates everything I can think of that you might see in other JRPGs and uses it to full effect. A true love letter to both the Dragon Quest series, and the genre as a whole.

Agreed. It incorporates everything I can think of that you might see in other JRPGs and uses it to full effect. A true love letter to both the Dragon Quest series, and the genre as a whole.
It was my first DQ game and I've played two since (VIII and V both on the 3DS) and it's so good it basically ruined those for me.

This is a great review about it from Tim Rogers

It was my first DQ game and I've played two since (VIII and V both on the 3DS) and it's so good it basically ruined those for me.

I played VIII and Dragon Quest Monsters before this. I also tried the first two as a kid, but couldn't get into them. I'd love to replay VIII and try some of the others, but I full agree, this game may have ruined the rest of the series for me.

Also, this review is great. Love the part about Sylvando. I remember getting villain vibes when I first met him with all the sneakiness around the prince. I remember telling my wife. "I just got this awesome new character, but I'm going to be real sad when he betrays me in about 50 hours." Really glad they went in the complete opposite route with his character.

yea, i’ve put off playing DQ11 for this very exact reason. my brother gifted me 11 last year, but i want to play at least 3 and 8 first and then start 11 afterwards

yea, i’ve put off playing DQ11 for this very exact reason. my brother gifted me 11 last year, but i want to play at least 3 and 8 first and then start 11 afterwards
It's also possible that since the games are SO similar, that your first will always be your favorite. Even this review mentions this is the best place to start as a newcomer. I think completionism is a disease, so you should just enjoy things while you can.

I staretd playing DQ11 and haven't gotten much further than the beginning. It's comfy for certain but i'm hesistant to dive into a really long game with my limited VG time. One day I'll get more into though. It'll be my first main DQ (I've played and loved both DQ Builders games).

I enjoyed DQXI but had a hard time getting really into it. I think the world’s a bit too silly for me to feel invested. Technically and mechanically, though, it’s great.

Picked up Bioshock: The Collection for the Switch for $4.99 today.

It was on sale for $19.99 new, and I had $15 in rewards after signing up and purchasing Zelda earlier this month.
I picked this up a two years ago for Xbox. I hadn't played any of the Bioshock games. I really, really liked them. First two were really fun, the 3rd one is a little bit different, I didn't care for it so much but so many people love it. they're all fairly challenging too.

Going to be playing the New Pokemon Snap today. They just released 2 new courses and 20 new pokemon.

There might be a third new course as well, but I'm not sure if it's a complete new course are a new route to an existing course.

Going to be playing the New Pokemon Snap today. They just released 2 new courses and 20 new pokemon.

There might be a third new course as well, but I'm not sure if it's a complete new course are a new route to an existing course.
I'm interested in how this game is. Didn't really play the original. Not sure how much I care for it but my 4 year old daughter is always interested in me playing games but all the games I have are way too advanced for her so was thinking this might be a nice entry point. But $60 for an unknown entry point is also a bit more than I want to swallow so 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm interested in how this game is. Didn't really play the original. Not sure how much I care for it but my 4 year old daughter is always interested in me playing games but all the games I have are way too advanced for her so was thinking this might be a nice entry point. But $60 for an unknown entry point is also a bit more than I want to swallow so 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's a chill game to play. Not very intense at all and almost relaxing watching the scenery and pokemon.

If you are into photography and editing pictures with filters and stickers you would probably be into this.

There are lots of tasks in the game you can try to accomplish. Tons of secret paths leading to new pokemon to discover as well.

Having finished Dragon Quest XI last week, it was time to add another RPG to my gaming rotation. I decided that it was time to finally take the dive into Final Fantasy 7. As a kid, I played the first 3 US releases, as well as 8 & 9, but somehow I missed 7. I've seen several playthroughs and the Machinabridged series around the game, and I know the major plot points/spoilers, but I decided it was time to experience it myself. I'm through Midgar (on my way to Junon) and I gotta say, I already see why this one is so beloved. With 8 being the most recent game in the series I played, 7 really highlights all the problems 8 had. Other than graphics and maybe the music, I like every aspect of 7 more than 8. I already have a ton to say about the game, so here goes. I'll try to keep it brief.

The story and characters so far are great. There's an immediate and relatable threat from the get go, and the stakes only increase after Sephiroth really comes into the picture. Speaking of which, the first scenes with him are great and really striking. The early looks at Jenova were truly creepy. Looking forward to more! Also, I always thought Aeris followed the damsel in distress archetype, but I'm glad to see that she repeatedly rejects this and basically tells Cloud to eff out multiple times when he tries to play things that way.

The combat is satisfying. Leveling seems to matter, and I like that there's been plenty of opportunity to mix up my team and figure out who I like. I like the Materia system way more than the Junction system.

The environment and gameplay changes are also great. There's a lot of character in each area I've been to. The little mini games and side stuff has been fun. Getting the Don to pick Cloud early on was highly entertaining. The escape sequence where Cloud is on the motorcycle was a lot of fun, and reminded me of Road Rash.

Finally, the music. Look, everyone knows it's good. I've been familiar with the music for a long time now, even though I haven't played the game.

I'll post my final thoughts once I finish the game.

Having finished Dragon Quest XI last week, it was time to add another RPG to my gaming rotation. I decided that it was time to finally take the dive into Final Fantasy 7. As a kid, I played the first 3 US releases, as well as 8 & 9, but somehow I missed 7. I've seen several playthroughs and the Machinabridged series around the game, and I know the major plot points/spoilers, but I decided it was time to experience it myself. I'm through Midgar (on my way to Junon) and I gotta say, I already see why this one is so beloved. With 8 being the most recent game in the series I played, 7 really highlights all the problems 8 had. Other than graphics and maybe the music, I like every aspect of 7 more than 8. I already have a ton to say about the game, so here goes. I'll try to keep it brief.

The story and characters so far are great. There's an immediate and relatable threat from the get go, and the stakes only increase after Sephiroth really comes into the picture. Speaking of which, the first scenes with him are great and really striking. The early looks at Jenova were truly creepy. Looking forward to more! Also, I always thought Aeris followed the damsel in distress archetype, but I'm glad to see that she repeatedly rejects this and basically tells Cloud to eff out multiple times when he tries to play things that way.

The combat is satisfying. Leveling seems to matter, and I like that there's been plenty of opportunity to mix up my team and figure out who I like. I like the Materia system way more than the Junction system.

The environment and gameplay changes are also great. There's a lot of character in each area I've been to. The little mini games and side stuff has been fun. Getting the Don to pick Cloud early on was highly entertaining. The escape sequence where Cloud is on the motorcycle was a lot of fun, and reminded me of Road Rash.

Finally, the music. Look, everyone knows it's good. I've been familiar with the music for a long time now, even though I haven't played the game.

I'll post my final thoughts once I finish the game.
Playing this as a 14 year old when it came out was mind blowing.

Scooped Skyward Sword HD from Gamefly and have been replaying for the first time since it released, and am coming to the conclusion that it probably is, indeed, the worst 3D Zelda game. What it does well is done so much better (much more accessibly) by the games surrounding it. When it's fun, it's fun, I just feel like I need an ice pack for my wrist after every boss fight..

Playing this as a 14 year old when it came out was mind blowing.
I got through "the scene" and the part where you start to learn about Clouds origins today. They spoilers have mostly been spoiled to me long ago, but seeing the scenes myself were still powerful. Teenage me's mind probably would have exploded when I got to this part.

I got a deal on PSN money and now have $100. Gonna grab GoT Director's cut for later this month but debating what to do with the remaining $30. Deciding if I should grab TLOU2 while on sale right now for $30 or keep money in wallet for something else / if it drops further.

I got a deal on PSN money and now have $100. Gonna grab GoT Director's cut for later this month but debating what to do with the remaining $30. Deciding if I should grab TLOU2 while on sale right now for $30 or keep money in wallet for something else / if it drops further.
It's only $19.99 for physical from the big retailers at the moment.

Back