Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Maybe, and I hate saying this because I love the lolz, getting kinki might not be right for you?

I’ve been really interested in Audio GD recently, I’m really tempted by one of their pre amps (R27-RE), and all the reviews of their stuff is really good. They have a master 9p integrated speaker and headphone amplifier. It looks like it’s about €2000 new in Europe. It isn’t listed on Underwood HiFi, US distributors, website but I bet you could ask them.

yea--i think the Kinki did fit my needs until i stopped being able to really listen to vinyl at night in my living room! I’ll wait a little and see how much I continue to use headphones in my living room once the bathys come in
The Kinki amps are really good with low volume listening. Still able to hear detail and nuance at lower listening levels.

Hahahaha! You’ll need headphones more as the kid grows up and moans about your damn boring dad music ruining their Xbox or tv time 😂

You might then get them back interested, or at least tolerant, sometime in their 20s
This is true. I got into headphones and headphone amps when my kids became teenagers. It was how I could drown at their noise and relax.

I had a nice setup in the living room with a DarkVoice tunes amp and HD6XX headphones. Still have both and still enjoy them. Don’t use them as much as I now have a dedicated space for listening to speakers.

so it would go from phono stage to magni to kinki?
You could also check out a phono stage that has 2 outputs. For example, the ifi Zen Phono has RCA and balanced out. You could run the RCA out to the Kinki and balanced out to an ifi Zen CAN amp and have a cool looking Zen stack to boot.

Full disclosure I have a ZenCAN amp for my headphones. It’s fed by my Geshelli J2S DAC via balanced connection. I also use a Zen Stream as a Roon endpoint. The J2S feeds my Kinki amp as well.

Last edited:
You could also check out a phono stage that has 2 outputs. For example, the ifi Zen Phono has RCA and balanced out. You could run the RCA out to the Kinki and balanced out to an ifi Zen CAN amp and have a cool looking Zen stack to boot.

Full disclosure I have a ZenCAN amp for my headphones. It’s fed by my Geshelli J2S SAC via balanced connection. I also use a Zen Stream as a Roon endpoint. The J2S feeds my Kinki amp as well.
I’ve got the Sutherland 20/20 now so don’t want to downgrade to an ifi. If I go the Kinki route I may just save headphones for digital listening down there

I’ve got the Sutherland 20/20 now so don’t want to downgrade to an ifi. If I go the Kinki route I may just save headphones for digital listening down there
I don’t blame you. The 20/20 is nice.

For some reason listening to vinyl via headphones doesn’t appeal to me. Digital is my preferred method with headphones.

I don’t blame you. The 20/20 is nice.

For some reason listening to vinyl via headphones doesn’t appeal to me. Digital is my preferred method with headphones.
It’s not my preferred method for vinyl either, but I do often like the ritual of sitting down and listening to a record at the end of the day. Listening on lower volume is doable for sure. And I work from home so can often sit downstairs with my laptop and work in the room with my main setup.

We’ll see…depending on the next few days I might just put the offer in and see what happens.

Here is what appears to be a crazy good solution to a 2.4 build like I am doing.
I already have everything for my $200 x4 = $800 four sub array, but this 4 X $300 = $1,200 array would have been turn-key and looks impressive

Here is what appears to be a crazy good solution to a 2.4 build like I am doing.
I already have everything for my $200 x4 = $800 four sub array, but this 4 X $300 = $1,200 array would have been turn-key and looks impressive

why would you need 4 subs?

why would you need 4 subs?
I spent a lot of time investigating sub-woofers
Based on everything I read, and now in my opinion, the optimal solution to sub-woofers is four subs in one of two arrays.
Either in the four corners of the room or at the four center points, mid-wall, in order to optimize low-frequency waves.
I am just doing me I make no recommendations other than to say that is what I believe , based on what I read, to be optimal.
I am also stating that the sale seems to be a crazy good price for that Herco sub-woofer if someone wants one or more subs.

Back