Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

The little baby TZero I have is really very smal, it’s the only reason I could fit it in…
I looked at the smaller RELs, but they basically have identical extension to my Fortes as it is, and they would be replacing an SVS PC-12 Plus for home theater use, as well as music. The T/9X seemed like the only one that might have enough depth and punch to serve both masters.

I looked at the smaller RELs, but they basically have identical extension to my Fortes as it is, and they would be replacing an SVS PC-12 Plus for home theater use, as well as music. The T/9X seemed like the only one that might have enough depth and punch to serve both masters.

Fair. I suppose I wasn’t looking for that much extension, my neighbours would murder me, as much as definition. The Lintons dig almost as deep as the RELs too but the improved bass definition and accuracy just completely transformed the overall sound of the system. It’s only really when I play say Daft Punk or Justice that you feel extra slam and then my neighbour goes crazy!

Last edited:
Fair. I suppose I wasn’t looking for that much extension, my neighbours would murder me, as much as definition. The Lintons dig almost as deep as the RELs too but the improved bass definition and accuracy just completely transformed the overall sound of the system. It’s once really when I play say Daft Punk or Justice that you feel extra slam and then my neighbour goes crazy!
The Fortes are authoritative down to the upper 30s, so it's basically that last 10hz I want for music, and not even at a very high output. *That* is the easy part. The hard part is the LFE channel for home theater, which is high-output and needs even more extension. If I had space I might run small RELs at speaker-level and then leave the SVS for movies.

But that would be crazy, right? 👀

The Fortes are authoritative down to the upper 30s, so it's basically that last 10hz I want for music, and not even at a very high output. *That* is the easy part. The hard part is the LFE channel for home theater, which is high-output and needs even more extension. If I had space I might run small RELs at speaker-level and then leave the SVS for movies.

But that would be crazy, right? 👀

Absolutely not, I have my tv set up to an entirely separate Sonos surround system exactly because I don’t want to have to have it plugged into, and compromise, any part of my music system and the two are literally side by side…

People be crazy. An amplifier switch would be way preferable to running my music through an AVR at the prices I’d want to pay for home theatre.
I had a shop guy tell me that connecting a 2 channel system through a bypass mode to a secondary amp for home theatre would compromise the sound of the two channel. This makes no sense to me, in two channel everything is off except the two channel amp and speakers. The only connection is a single RCA running to an integrated amp that isn't even on. It there some science that says this messes with the integrity of two channel system somehow?

I had a shop guy tell me that connecting a 2 channel system through a bypass mode to a secondary amp for home theatre would compromise the sound of the two channel. This makes no sense to me, in two channel everything is off except the two channel amp and speakers. The only connection is a single RCA running to an integrated amp that isn't even on. It there some science that says this messes with the integrity of two channel system somehow?

Nah. At most you could perhaps say it’s travelling through more wire but at the price points you were looking at highly unlikely there anything audible.

Edit: Plus actually that’s complete bollocks for music because it’s just running through the 2 channel amp. It’s the tv/film that’s going through both the AVR and the 2 channel amp.

Like, I know I'm adding complication to my system by introducing this switch, but also...it's electrically very straightforward, and it's happening post-amplification, so it's not like I'm dealing with some delicate source signal.

I'm not too worried about it.

Yeah I realised that and edited after I sent the message initially. People be crazy.
Yeah I'm not sure what this guy is talking about. Like I absolutely get it if he thinks the two channel amp runs THROUGH the home theatre amp but that's not at all what happens. There's no way a single RCA out connected to an amp that's turned off is affecting the sound on a separate 2 channel amp. If anything it's just grounding it. Like I'm crazy but I'm not THAT crazy.

Back when I was researching integrated amps in 2013-2014, I had a shop guy basically tell me if it's heavy, it's quality. I took his advice and a decade later it's still going strong. However, the other amp he recommended that my buddy got crapped out after a couple years. I think I got lucky combined with not much use of the HDMI ports which are what tends to go bad first.

Moral of the story: shop guys know some things but not the bigger picture.

Back when I was researching integrated amps in 2013-2014, I had a shop guy basically tell me if it's heavy, it's quality. I took his advice and a decade later it's still going strong. However, the other amp he recommended that my buddy got crapped out after a couple years. I think I got lucky combined with not much use of the HDMI ports which are what tends to go bad first.

Yeah I mean this is a really high end store, I can afford very little in there, and I know these guys have their... THOUGHTS about some stuff regarding hifi gear. But I just can't figure out how he thinks this would make any difference at all, science wise I can't see it beyond it being a ground.

I think it also depends largely on the shop. The two small hifi stores in Dublin selling all the big fancy gear that are staffed almost exclusively by enthusiasts? They really know their stuff in terms of quality and sound but will always try to upsell and think of home theatre as crazy voodoo music destroying black magic and will have some odd ideas like Mather was told.

The places that sell the more normal brands? I’d be as well asking one of the birds sat in the tree outside.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean this is a really high end store, I can afford very little in there, and I know these guys have their... THOUGHTS about some stuff regarding hifi gear. But I just can't figure out how he thinks this would make any difference at all, science wise I can't see it beyond it being a ground.
Since when does science have anything to do with audiophilia? :p

Back