Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

It would not surprise me if, based I what I read, that it might even be more important in smaller rooms where the standing waves are much longer than the room.
The four sub array will do more than anything to control the bass waves.
I will be finding out.
Genuinely curious to hear your results. I always enjoyed a good old-fashioned sub crawl, but my current space doesn't have enough room for it to be feasible, so in the corner it goes.

I spent a lot of time investigating sub-woofers
Based on everything I read, and now in my opinion, the optimal solution to sub-woofers is four subs in one of two arrays.
Either in the four corners of the room or at the four center points, mid-wall, in order to optimize low-frequency waves.
I am just doing me I make no recommendations other than to say that is what I believe , based on what I read, to be optimal.
I am also stating that the sale seems to be a crazy good price for that Herco sub-woofer if someone wants one or more subs.
wasn't trying to be cheeky! i was genuinely curious what any benefits would be. i dont even have one woofer but have been tempted to try one and see if it's something i have been missing.

wasn't trying to be cheeky! i was genuinely curious what any benefits would be. i dont even have one woofer but have been tempted to try one and see if it's something i have been missing.
I use one even with the L100s because it hits just that little bit lower and smoother than they can go. But I'm also using a relatively technical sub with a lot of customization and room correction that allows me to integrate it juuust for that last little bit of punch and tone without it overpowering anything. In my rig It's the difference between hearing something and feeling it. I don't always listen to bass, but when I do I WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M LISTENING TO BASS

Last edited:
I use one even with the L100s because it hits just that little bit lower and smoother than they can go. But I'm also using a relatively technical sub with a lot of customization and room correction that allows me to integrate it juuust for that last little bit of punch and tone without it overpowering anything. In my rig It's the difference between hearing something and feeling it. I don't always listen to bass, but when I do WHAT WAS THAT YOU SAID I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M LISTENING TO BASS
I'm *super* happy with the bass extension on the Fortes, so right now I have them directly wired. But I have been eyeballing a REL T/9x since it has both speaker level and LFE inputs and separate volume controls for each, so it would work nicely in my dual-environment setup.

I'm *super* happy with the bass extension on the Fortes, so right now I have them directly wired. But I have been eyeballing a REL T/9x since it has both speaker level and LFE inputs and separate volume controls for each, so it would work nicely in my dual-environment setup.
I did a test when I swapped out my stage and I disconnected the sub to see if I could live without it. Even with the 12" woofers on the L100s the 800 watt B10 just added that extra hit to everything. That chest rattling whump or the notes that are so low that you can barely hear them but you can feel them as the couch vibrates across the floor.

Last edited:
I did a test when I swapped out my stage and I disconnected to sub to see if I could live without it. Even with the 12" woofers on the L100s the 800 watt B10 just added that extra hit to everything. That chest rattling whump or the notes that are so low that you can barely hear them but you can feel them as the couch vibrates across the floor.
The Fortes are spec’d at 38hz (-3db) but stretch convincingly down to the low 30s thanks to the 15” passive radiator. The SVS digs deeper, and with authority, but I am pretty damn happy with these things as-is.

Doesn’t stop me from looking, though…

None of my speakers have low bass extension
I decided to do a deep dive and bought a flat-pack and a 15 inch sub-woofer that extended down below 20 Hz in room.
All the while I was continuing to learn about sub-woofers
Even bought a couple of scientific papers.
I did a test when I swapped out my stage and I disconnected the sub to see if I could live without it. Even with the 12" woofers on the L100s the 800 watt B10 just added that extra hit to everything. That chest rattling whump or the notes that are so low that you can barely hear them but you can feel them as the couch vibrates across the floor.

I then scrapped the single 15 inch subwoofer
for a four 8 inch array that will get down in the mid 20s in room, tuned to 30 Hz,but be more musical, not a HT subsonic visceral experience
That is a lot of energy to tame
I may end up adding two 15’s for a 2.6 but first things first LOL

None of my speakers have low bass extension
I decided to do a deep dive and bought a flat-pack and a 15 inch sub-woofer that extended down below 20 Hz in room.
All the while I was continuing to learn about sub-woofers
Even bought a couple of scientific papers.

I then scrapped the single 15 inch subwoofer
for a four 8 inch array that will get down in the mid 20s in room, tuned to 30 Hz,but be more musical, not a HT subsonic visceral experience
That is a lot of energy to tame
I may end up adding two 15’s for a 2.6 but first things first LOL
I would like to option a television series about your neighbours. Please tell me you live in a 300 sq foot apartment in Manhattan.

Fine! I’ve ordered 8 subs. Hope you and @Middle Earth are happy!!

I spent a lot of time investigating sub-woofers
Based on everything I read, and now in my opinion, the optimal solution to sub-woofers is four subs in one of two arrays.
Either in the four corners of the room or at the four center points, mid-wall, in order to optimize low-frequency waves.
I am just doing me I make no recommendations other than to say that is what I believe , based on what I read, to be optimal.
I am also stating that the sale seems to be a crazy good price for that Herco sub-woofer if someone wants one or more subs.
I was skeptical of multi subs in a system until I added a 2nd to my setup. I’m now in camp 2.2. Not ready to go 2.4.

2.2 expanded soundstage and removed bass holes. Balanced the sound throughout the room. No more crawling.

All that said, haven’t used my subs much since I got the Buchardt s400 mkII.

The Fortes are spec’d at 38hz (-3db) but stretch convincingly down to the low 30s thanks to the 15” passive radiator. The SVS digs deeper, and with authority, but I am pretty damn happy with these things as-is.

Doesn’t stop me from looking, though…
I get that. I used dual subs with my Revel’s, and it helped the soundstage and punch. I’m currently running my Kef’s au naturale and occasionally I notice something is a little light, so I may add subs again, but their natural extension and impact and tone work great for ~95% of my music. And I enjoy having less cables and more floor space.

I get that. I used dual subs with my Revel’s, and it helped the soundstage and punch. I’m currently running my Kef’s au naturale and occasionally I notice something is a little light, so I may add subs again, but their natural extension and impact and tone work great for ~95% of my music. And I enjoy having less cables and more floor space.
I’d secretly love to do dual (smaller) RELs, but I just don’t have the floor space. Alas.

Back