Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So for the first real time im thinking about interconnects in my mid-low tier setup, and am curious to your people's thoughts as to whether an upgrade to Blue Jeans interconnects (or some other company) would be a good investment. My current setup is
U-Turn Orbit Plus/2M blue - Darlington Labs MM6 (coming soon) - Sony STRDH590 - Pioneer Bs41 Using Evergreens and amazon basic speaker cable.

The next upgrade will be the speakers, and at that point I'll get some decent cable for it, but wondering if even with this setup, it will make a solid difference.
I didn't notice a difference from speaker cables. I did notice a difference from upgrading the power cords. You don't say if you've changed them. If it's possible with your setup I'd look into that. The Pangea power cords are a good option, like the AC-14. I can't remember the newer model name, but I can look it up or I'm sure someone will know!

I have a feeling I might have burst my cartridge - the needle is looking off-centre. For all the elliptical ones cost am I better off just getting a new stylus?

View attachment 95242View attachment 95243

ooooh yeah that’s badly bent there. I’d probably be looking for a new stylus in your shoes for sure.

Thanks Joe! Thought I had burst it. Off to find a replacement. Might be an idea to get 2 so I have a backup...
Good news for you is that the 95e stylus it's very affordable.. it's like 50 dollars brand new or you can upgrade to to that beloved ML version at 100 more

So for the first real time im thinking about interconnects in my mid-low tier setup, and am curious to your people's thoughts as to whether an upgrade to Blue Jeans interconnects (or some other company) would be a good investment. My current setup is
U-Turn Orbit Plus/2M blue - Darlington Labs MM6 (coming soon) - Sony STRDH590 - Pioneer Bs41 Using Evergreens and amazon basic speaker cable.

The next upgrade will be the speakers, and at that point I'll get some decent cable for it, but wondering if even with this setup, it will make a solid difference.
Cables are a good foundation for any system, but with where you are, I wouldn't make it a priority. At this stage I'd say and cables for closer to the end. Get everything where you like it and you feel like you'll live with it for awhile. Then do all the cables to know that you're reaching max potential. But if you've got speakers, and possibly other upgrades on the horizon, focus on those first.

Since I have my Monotor on the way, where do I actually insert the headphone amp into the chain?

PLX1000->LX-LPS->Rogue Sphinx-Elacs

I'm in basically the same setup as DJDS (U-turn with 2M blue, but also with a schiit Mani, magni, and some headphones from grado). And I admittedly also use the evergreen interconnects because though AQ are controversial I do like their presentation skills (aesthetics do matter) and it did remove the hum for me a bit

I didn't notice a difference from speaker cables. I did notice a difference from upgrading the power cords. You don't say if you've changed them. If it's possible with your setup I'd look into that. The Pangea power cords are a good option, like the AC-14. I can't remember the newer model name, but I can look it up or I'm sure someone will know!
Power cords for what, the U-turn or the receiver? Thanks for the help, very new to this part of the audiophile world.

Thanks Joe! Thought I had burst it. Off to find a replacement. Might be an idea to get 2 so I have a backup...
Hi, for what it's worth, don't underestimate the conical stylus for the VM95 series. Some will call me a heretic, but there is real value in having a conical that you can pop on and off in place of your "better" stylus. As an avid buyer of used/older records, some of them simply sound better with a conical. Conical offers the lowest record wear after a (properly aligned!) line contact stylus and the VM95 "C" stylus in fact sounds really good. On the right turntable and system it might surprise you how clean, punchy, accurate, and distortion-free the "C" stylus sounds. I paid $21 each for my last batch, so they are also dirt cheap. On the other side of the spectrum, the ML stylus is amazing and also inexpensive but you must be able to align it correctly, especially the vta.
Pat

Hi, for what it's worth, don't underestimate the conical stylus for the VM95 series. Some will call me a heretic, but there is real value in having a conical that you can pop on and off in place of your "better" stylus. As an avid buyer of used/older records, some of them simply sound better with a conical. Conical offers the lowest record wear after a (properly aligned!) line contact stylus and the VM95 "C" stylus in fact sounds really good. On the right turntable and system it might surprise you how clean, punchy, accurate, and distortion-free the "C" stylus sounds. I paid $21 each for my last batch, so they are also dirt cheap. On the other side of the spectrum, the ML stylus is amazing and also inexpensive but you must be able to align it correctly, especially the vta.
Pat
I'm liking the adaptability of the platform, and having options is a huge benefit. Was really impressed with the cheapo elliptical, but the conical could be an idea, and I'm definitely going to go with the ML down the line.

Pat
Contact Line for the win again.

Contact Line for the win again.
Depends on the purpose. As @psemeraro and I were discussing yesterday, your average audiophile cartridge wouldn’t hold up under DJ usage. At all.

And conical styli have advantages, especially for someone like @Thackeraye . VTA and offset are a non issue with conical styli- perfect for the arm on a Lenco. Go to a Microline and VTA and offset are critical. As the Lenco doesn’t have adjustable VTA as standard, a conical stylus is the obvious choice. Not to say the Lenco can’t be optimized for use with a Microline, but it will involve the use of shims (between the cartridge and headshell) and the thickness of the platter mat.

I believe in rigidity, so I’d skip the shims (which compromise rigidity) and go conical in that case. Also, it’s historically accurate to the turntable/arm in question.

Depends on the purpose. As @psemeraro and I were discussing yesterday, your average audiophile cartridge wouldn’t hold up under DJ usage. At all.

And conical styli have advantages, especially for someone like @Thackeraye . VTA and offset are a non issue with conical styli- perfect for the arm on a Lenco. Go to a Microline and VTA and offset are critical. As the Lenco doesn’t have adjustable VTA as standard, a conical stylus is the obvious choice. Not to say the Lenco can’t be optimized for use with a Microline, but it will involve the use of shims (between the cartridge and headshell) and the thickness of the platter mat.

I believe in rigidity, so I’d skip the shims (which compromise rigidity) and go conical in that case. Also, it’s historically accurate to the turntable/arm in question.
@HiFi Guy for the win again. I had never considered this with the ML, always just assumed that this would be the logical "best" upgrade option with that cart on my arm. Seems like it would be a bit of a waste then. So elliptical is the logical limit for this cart on the stock arm? If it is, I'm pretty happy with the sound, so no complaints. Out of interest, are there any other carts that would be good alternatives (need one for the L69 when it's up and running)? Nagaoka N110 was my other consideration.

as an aside, I think it's cool that you and @psemeraro have hit it off so well!

as an aside, I think it's cool that you and @psemeraro have hit it off so well!
He is super nice and really chill. He helped me a ton yesterday- having never DJ’d in my life. I never did any voice overs-.I was so nervous about making a mistake and having dead air- which did happen a couple of times. Once I hadn’t realized that I had bumped the power switch on one of the SL-1200s. The other was when I finished up forgetting to turn the gain up on the automated system. Oh well, live and learn. I won’t make those mistakes again. I’ll find new ones! 😎

I also learned that DJ work is a completely different thing than listening at home. Growing up in the ‘80s in DC, my favorite DJ was Cerphe Colwell- Google him- his book is great. He broke both Springsteen and Little Feat among others. He’s also the MC at the beginning of “Waiting for Columbus”. Anyway, his air time was 7-Midnight during the week and 6-10 AM on Saturdays- the “Saturday Morning Rock and Roll Breakfast”. The first time I heard King Crimson and Zappa was definitely his show. So yesterday, in a bit of an homage, I spun “In The Court of Crimson King” as he did back then. On the DJ side, it lasts forever. Later I pulled out Traffic and played “Glad” A shorter track, but seemed to just go on and on. I had to fade it out- I couldn’t take it anymore.

New rule? Five minute limit. Tops.

And I’m developing a new respect for Technics SL-1200s. From dead stopped to full speed in 1/4 of a revolution makes them the perfect tool for DJ work.

You are correct though, I can see @psemeraro and I becoming good friends. Both of us have heavy work schedules though. I’m not sure much we will be able to hang out beyond our involvement in community radio. No matter how things play out, I’m happy to have met him.

@HiFi Guy for the win again. I had never considered this with the ML, always just assumed that this would be the logical "best" upgrade option with that cart on my arm. Seems like it would be a bit of a waste then. So elliptical is the logical limit for this cart on the stock arm? If it is, I'm pretty happy with the sound, so no complaints. Out of interest, are there any other carts that would be good alternatives (need one for the L69 when it's up and running)? Nagaoka N110 was my other consideration.
I’d likely try an A/T VM95EN stylus- a nude elliptical. A/T due to their economy of scale can produce a quality product for far less money than many competitors- certainly less than Nagaoka. You’d have to spend over $100 more to get a Nagaoka with a nude elliptical.

He is super nice and really chill. He helped me a ton yesterday- having never DJ’d in my life. I never did any voice overs-.I was so nervous about making a mistake and having dead air- which did happen a couple of times. Once I hadn’t realized that I had bumped the power switch on one of the SL-1200s. The other was when I finished up forgetting to turn the gain up on the automated system. Oh well, live and learn. I won’t make those mistakes again. I’ll find new ones! 😎

I also learned that DJ work is a completely different thing than listening at home. Growing up in the ‘80s in DC, my favorite DJ was Cerphe Colwell- Google him- his book is great. He broke both Springsteen and Little Feat among others. He’s also the MC at the beginning of “Waiting for Columbus”. Anyway, his air time was 7-Midnight during the week and 6-10 AM on Saturdays- the “Saturday Morning Rock and Roll Breakfast”. The first time I heard King Crimson and Zappa was definitely his show. So yesterday, in a bit of an homage, I spun “In The Court of Crimson King” as he did back then. On the DJ side, it lasts forever. Later I pulled out Traffic and played “Glad” A shorter track, but seemed to just go on and on. I had to fade it out- I couldn’t take it anymore.

New rule? Five minute limit. Tops.

And I’m developing a new respect for Technics SL-1200s. From dead stopped to full speed in 1/4 of a revolution makes them the perfect tool for DJ work.

You are correct though, I can see @psemeraro and I becoming good friends. Both of us have heavy work schedules though. I’m not sure much we will be able to hang out beyond our involvement in community radio. No matter how things play out, I’m happy to have met him.
Is there a listen again link for the show?

Min

I believe in rigidity, so I’d skip the shims (which compromise rigidity) and go conical in that case. Also, it’s historically accurate to the turntable/arm in question.was more of a passing celebration for my favorite. But sure.
My comment was more a jovial comment in celebration of my current favorite. The info. is top notch as always though.

Back