Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Zu Souls have been upgraded. So has the price-$5999. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Weakest point in my chain is my crappy little preamp, looking at options to upgrade. Currently eying the Cambridge Audio Alva Duo. Anyone have any recommendations, or want to back this one up?

Amazon product ASIN B07932QK4N
I have a U-Turn orbit plus with a 2MBlue, Will go into my receiver and out through either a pair of Pioneer speakers (BS41) or Beyer 990's.

Appreciate the help.
Do not buy Cambridge Audio gear. They use the cheapest parts available. Their gear tends to sound good- until it dies.

But, that's more than the Soul Supreme. I'm so confused. :unsure:

That's a lot of f*cking money

Do not buy Cambridge Audio gear. They use the cheapest parts available. Their gear tends to sound good- until it dies.

I have just extracted myself from Cambridge Audio as of this week. Had an integrated amp - right channel crapped out, but fine while it lasted (replaced with a NAD), had CA phono (it was basic for my MC cart, swapped for a Moon) and no longer need the CXN streamer due to BluOS module in the NAD. Very happy with the results thus far. I know @HiFi Guy warned (me) and I finally listened. 😁

But legit how do I make the "still" tables or whatever I call this piece of hifi furniture not cause the turntable to skip if I put a record sleeve on a leg..

*goes back to looking at Cornwall IVs*

I have just extracted myself from Cambridge Audio as of this week. Had an integrated amp - right channel crapped out, but fine while it lasted (replaced with a NAD), had CA phono (it was basic for my MC cart, swapped for a Moon) and no longer need the CXN streamer due to BluOS module in the NAD. Very happy with the results thus far. I know @HiFi Guy warned (me) and I finally listened. 😁
Nice! Which Moon did you go for? I love my 110LP V2 phono pre.

Hey all! Started reading the forum recently on recommendation from a friend and now I'm already cursing him because two weeks ago I was pretty content with my very modest setup but now I'm up late nights reading all sorts of things and thinking about possible upgrades.

So anyways, hello! (and damn you all!) - thank you and also please excuse any ignorance.

I have a Technics SL-D2 currently with an AT-VM95E. What I'm thinking about right now is finally getting a decent phono stage - currently I'm just using the built-in one on the Sony STR-DH190 I have. My question though - I like the SL-D2, but how much am I getting hurt with the standard, hardwired RCA outs? No matter what I put on the other end, am I always going to be somewhat sonically kneecapped by that part of the chain?
The other possibility is that I'm worrying WAY too much about it with the setup I have right now.

Hey all! Started reading the forum recently on recommendation from a friend and now I'm already cursing him because two weeks ago I was pretty content with my very modest setup but now I'm up late nights reading all sorts of things and thinking about possible upgrades.

So anyways, hello! (and damn you all!) - thank you and also please excuse any ignorance.

I have a Technics SL-D2 currently with an AT-VM95E. What I'm thinking about right now is finally getting a decent phono stage - currently I'm just using the built-in one on the Sony STR-DH190 I have. My question though - I like the SL-D2, but how much am I getting hurt with the standard, hardwired RCA outs? No matter what I put on the other end, am I always going to be somewhat sonically kneecapped by that part of the chain?
The other possibility is that I'm worrying WAY too much about it with the setup I have right now.

Welcome to our little internet corner of oddness and friendless! Make yourself comfortable and have a look around the music threads too. Avoid the pre order and online deals threads if you like your wallet with some money in it!

Cables make a difference but they make the smallest difference out of any part of your system. So yes they could be improved but if they are properly shielded so as to minimise interference then you’re not in a terrible place to begin with. I think if you really want to upgrade the phono stage is definitely a good place to begin but there is also absolutely nothing wrong with being happy with where you are at!

Welcome! I agree with @Joe Mac that a phonostage would be a great place to start. I wouldn't stress the built in RCA cords impeding the benefits of a new phonostage either.

This group has lots of experience with $100 - $4,000 units, so name a budget and you'll get some opinions. Or don't, that's cool too.

Welcome! I agree with @Joe Mac that a phonostage would be a great place to start. I wouldn't stress the built in RCA cords impeding the benefits of a new phonostage either.

This group has lots of experience with $100 - $4,000 units, so name a budget and you'll get some opinions. Or don't, that's cool too.
I'm very very close to jumping on that MM-6 that some of y'all seem to be gushing over. I could swing that price point right now and it seems like best bang for the buck.

I'm very very close to jumping on that MM-6 that some of y'all seem to be gushing over. I could swing that price point right now and it seems like best bang for the buck.
Who let you in here!?

Gonna throw further support for the Darlington, because a) I want your ears on one and b) I’ll be jealous when you inevitably say, “this thing is great.”

Wasn't the original price on these like half that? That's an insane price jump if I'm remembering correctly.

What I find more odd is the site really didn't talk about what they upgraded. There is some mention of new cabinet designs resulting in more bass, but I'm surprised they didn't expand on more. At that price point change, I want to see interal structures, materials changes, discussion of wiring and component upgrades (normally the crossover but I don't think Zu is using any in this design).

It feels disconnected in their line now.

Wasn't the original price on these like half that? That's an insane price jump if I'm remembering correctly.

What I find more odd is the site really didn't talk about what they upgraded. There is some mention of new cabinet designs resulting in more bass, but I'm surprised they didn't expand on more. At that price point change, I want to see interal structures, materials changes, discussion of wiring and component upgrades (normally the crossover but I don't think Zu is using any in this design).

It feels disconnected in their line now.

The original base price was $2600.

Back