Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So I'm looking to pick up a Fluance RT82 for my new place here soon! I will need a preamp with it, and I know Fluance offers a bundle with one for another $100. Do y'all recommend the preamp that comes from FLuance, or is there a cheaper one that would work just as well that you would recommend?

So I'm looking to pick up a Fluance RT82 for my new place here soon! I will need a preamp with it, and I know Fluance offers a bundle with one for another $100. Do y'all recommend the preamp that comes from FLuance, or is there a cheaper one that would work just as well that you would recommend?
I have the one I had originally if you're interested. $50?

You buried the lede. You found a new place!? If so Congratulations! Now on to my version of hell which is moving.

Can the any of the integrated EVO line up from Prima Luna be used as power amps later, or does one have to pick a direction early?

Can the any of the integrated EVO line up from Prima Luna be used as power amps later, or does one have to pick a direction early?
You can use the Home Theater input. It bypasses the volume control- it basically turns it into a power amp. So you can start as an integrated and turn it into a power amp later if you want.

Another advantage is that the integrated amps have headphone outputs. The preamp/power amp combos do not.

Edit: the HT input is on the EVO-200 and above, not the EVO-100.

Thi
You can use the Home Theater input. It bypasses the volume control- it basically turns it into a power amp. So you can start as an integrated and turn it into a power amp later if you want.

Another advantage is that the integrated amps have headphone outputs. The preamp/power amp combos do not.
This is what I was thinking. Also gives me a chance to decide if I like the headphone amp better side by side.

One more question. If I did get the power amp only from Prima would that simply be left on at all times?
I have space/spouse/asthetic issues and sticking a smaller pre on the shelf while hiding away a power amp seems appealing. Not sure if a power bill would agree.

Thi

This is what I was thinking. Also gives me a chance to decide if I like the headphone amp better side by side.

One more question. If I did get the power amp only from Prima would that simply be left on at all times?
I have space/spouse/asthetic issues and sticking a smaller pre on the shelf while hiding away a power amp seems appealing. Not sure if a power bill would agree.

I wouldn’t leave a tube amp on all the time, you’ll burn out the tubes really quickly and may require your own power station in the back garden...

I wouldn’t leave a tube amp on all the time, you’ll burn out the tubes really quickly and may require your own power station in the back garden...
I was under the impression on off had more to do with lifespan. Looks like I’m wrong.

the power plant was my concern. :)

I was under the impression on off had more to do with lifespan. Looks like I’m wrong.

the power plant was my concern. :)
I left mine on a lot when I first got it. PrimaLuna tends to have an extremely long beak in period.

Like this:

0-10 hours- I made a mistake.
11-100 hours- getting better
100-300 hours- this is really nice
8 months- holy shit- this is world class

That said- tube replacement on the EVO-400 is expensive. If you can get away with a 300, that’s what I’d do. And I think the 300 is worth the price difference over the 200.

If you go this route, call Upscale and see if they can supply KT88 output tubes in place of EL34s.

I see no difference in my power bill.

I did when I had a pair of 211 based monoblocks. Stupid hot and high power bills.

If I did just go for the power amp is there a strong reason to go higher than the 100? It certainly would fit the shelf better.

I see the 300 as the sweet spot unless you need more power or have less room.
You're killing me.

The situation is I'm trying the Manley as of last night. I just can't see parting with it moving forward.

It is in fact otherworldly (somehow more warm AND more clear AND instruments are better separated AND more glued together at the same time AND the bass is even better....) All this and I'm still 1 hour into Manley's "50 hours" minimum break-in before it sounds it's best. It also fits the space I have perfectly.

I can swing it and say an EVO 100 Power amp right now, which would also fit the current space.

I'm not sure I want to go in for the Manley and the 300 power amp at the moment budget wise. Besides, one might as well get the integrated at that point just due to the extra uses later for only a 100$ difference. Size wise I could hide it behind some things here and just power it on when in use as a power stage but that's a LOT more than I want to spend at the moment.

So I guess it comes down to the difference in the power amp stage sound for me. If it's really significantly better even with the same external pre then I suppose I will just have to wait. Unless the EVO's really do hold value better than most so that I could trade up later if our layout changes or as budget allows. I'm currently out of things to sell and trade beyond that point.

You're killing me.

The situation is I'm trying the Manley as of last night. I just can't see parting with it moving forward.

It is in fact otherworldly (somehow more warm AND more clear AND instruments are better separated AND more glued together at the same time AND the bass is even better....) All this and I'm still 1 hour into Manley's "50 hours" minimum break-in before it sounds it's best. It also fits the space I have perfectly.

I can swing it and say an EVO 100 Power amp right now, which would also fit the current space.

I'm not sure I want to go in for the Manley and the 300 power amp at the moment budget wise. Besides, one might as well get the integrated at that point just due to the extra uses later for only a 100$ difference. Size wise I could hide it behind some things here and just power it on when in use as a power stage but that's a LOT more than I want to spend at the moment.

So I guess it comes down to the difference in the power amp stage sound for me. If it's really significantly better even with the same external pre then I suppose I will just have to wait. Unless the EVO's really do hold value better than most so that I could trade up later if our layout changes or as budget allows. I'm currently out of things to sell and trade beyond that point.

Here’s a potential solution. This is made by the same company as Prima Luna and was in effect at the time the Dialogue, their premium, before the dialogue came along and cannibalised it. Uses the same adaptive auto bias technology as Prima Luna and is a bit of a looker (other than the tube cage which is a little fugly so i would leave it off personally). It’s been discontinued but upscale seem to have NOS.

You're killing me.

Hold up, what Manley are you trying out?

Back